Chapter 21: Oatmeal Raisin

"Happy birthday Sirius!" three distinct voices shouted at quite an early hour, the morning of November 3rd, 1972.

The boy were met with an impressive groan. Sirius was typically an early riser, but not this time.

"We have cake," Peter said in a sing-song voice.

Cake at six in the morning was rare and exciting and quickly got Sirius out of bed.

      The moment he stood, James had shoved several boxes into his arms while Peter and Remus scrambled to give him their own gifts.

      Sirius couldn't help but feel a swell of emotion. His family would never have done this for him, yet these boys he'd known for barely a year were a better family than he could ever have asked for.

"Merlin! What shop in Diagon Alley did you rob to get all this?"

"Honeydukes," Remus answered.

Sirius and the others laughed but Remus' expression stayed neutral.

"You didn't actually steal these sweets did you, Rem?" Peter questioned.

Remus shrugged, quickly looking embarrassed. He really should not have admitted to all that.

      His family just didn't have that many spare galleons laying around. He had to get his mate a birthday gift somehow. One day when exploring and mapping out the castle, he leaned against a one-eyed witch statue and it shifted. Remus had been certain he'd broken the thing but instead it revealed a secret passage. Curiosity got the best of him and soon he'd ended up at Honeydukes in Hogsmeade. It was late at night and no one would be the wiser if a few candy bars went missing. The opportunity presented itself and Remus wasn't going to turn it down.

"Either way," Sirius said, taking the unwanted attention off of Remus Lupin, "All this stuff is wicked. Thank you."

"No problem mate." James grinned and patted him on the back. "That's what friends are for."

       A harsh wind whipped, rippling the colored flags scattered around the quidditch pitch, allowing a few golden leaves to swirl and dance in the autumn air.

      All of Hogwarts was bundled together in scarves and jumpers the following day, representing their house, excitedly waiting for madam Hooch's whistle to blow.

      Peter's mouth moved in excited chatter about strategies while Remus, who would much rather be anywhere else that wasn't five degrees celsius, listened half-heartedly. In fact, most of the students would prefer to watch in warmer weather, but missing the first quidditch game of the year was simply not an option.

      Madam Hooch's commanding voice broke over the din. "Competitors, please mount your brooms."

      A hush fell over the stand as the Ravenclaw seeker, Lauren Nickel, and Gryffindor seeker, West McKinnon, faced each other in sheer determination.

      "Alright, on your marks, get set—"

      A whistle pierced the scene, the snitch was released, and the game began.

      "And they're off!" Second year, Ravenclaw quidditch commentator, Benjy Fenwick announced. "Gryffindor has a few new players; James Potter and Carley Abbott as Chasers—"

      A cheer went up at that announcement coupled with a boo from the Slytherin area.

      Benjy brushed it off and continued. "Sirius Black as Beater, and Dorcas Meadows as Keeper."

      More cheers and boos resounded but Fenwick wasn't finished.

      "Ravenclaw beater Indigo Valentino has just hit a bludger to— Oh and Ravenclaw scores!"