Chapter 43: Hypothticals

"So Minnie, hypothetically... what would be the easiest way to become—oh I don't know— an Animagus?"

The holidays had come to an end and the fourth year Gryffindor boys were determined to make some headway on this Animagus thing.

Who better to ask (hypothetically) than Minerva McGonagall, resident Animagus of Hogwarts?

Peter stomped on Sirius' shoe, causing a loud yelp to leave his lips while James stared at the Professor with a large expectant smile.

McGonagall looked down at them over her spectacles, knowing full well that this was no hypothetical. Remus was not with them and if the boys had done any research at all (unlikely) they would have found that Werewolves don't injure animals unless specifically provoked.

She couldn't help but secretly applaud their loyalty and willingness to help their friend. However they were going about it completely the wrong way. Her lips twitched with amusement.

Sirius was glaring at Peter, bouncing on his left, un-injured foot.

Peter played innocent, a small apologetic smile playing on his lips as he looked up at her.

James... that poor boy. James Potter lacked all ability to be subtle. His glasses had fallen to the end of his nose, he was bouncing on his toes and his smile in any other situation, with any other person, would have been infectious.

Remus Lupin was clearly not in on this idea.

"Well hypothetically," she began, the boys perking up, eyes lighting with excitement, backs straightening, glasses up further on James nose, "I can not tell you anything beside what Animagi are until you are all of age."

McGonagall's heart ached watching the three boys in front of her deflate silently, exchanging glances with one another as if to ask 'what do we do now?'

"What if we acted as your best students—though we already are—for the rest of the year?" asked Sirius, a well practiced, charming smile, certainly learned from his years in pureblood society on his face. A poor attempt to persuade her.

Minerva shook her head, wondering how much of a raise she could bargain out of Dumbledore that year.

"You boys do realize that this process is extremely dangerous and highly illegal without Ministry approval right?"

"Ah, but what's life without a little danger?"

Peter elbowed the boy to his right harshly in the ribs.

"James!" hissed Sirius, "Not. Helping."

"Neither of you two idiots are helping!" cried Peter, his voice having risen an octave.

"Well Minnie—"

"Professor McGonagall, Mr. Black."

"Right, Professor. If this process is so difficult wouldn't it be a liability on you if—hypothetically of course—you knew about us wanting to attempt to become Animagi and you did not help us?"

McGonagall could have snorted at the query if it weren't for her need to be professional.

She took each of these poor, common-sense-lacking boys in, feeling pity for them. They were smart, at least Sirius and James were. The problem was neither of them actually applied themselves. How was she supposed to take their requests seriously if they never took anything seriously at all?

Pinching the bridge of her nose under tortoiseshell spectacles she spoke again; "It would only be a liability on me if I agreed to help you. Since I have not, and will not—" she added quickly as Sirius opened his mouth to rebut, "none of this is my responsibility. In fact," her gaze hardened slightly, "this would, hypothetically, be a liability on the school, meaning Headmaster Dumbledore. Is that clear?"

Peter nodded fervently. "Yes ma'am. Thank you for answering the hypothetical questions that you could. We'll be leaving now."

For a fourteen year old boy of his height, he was surprisingly strong, dragging Sirius and James forcibly out of the Transfiguration classroom behind him.

     McGonagall let out soft laugh as they left. She knew of course that they would still be attempting the process.

She would help them, just not directly. That way they were not her responsibility but she could still assure nothing went terribly wrong. After all, it's what Dumbledore would want.

The older man was nothing if not irresponsible for the sake of the greater good.

     "You lot are so stupid," snapped Peter once they were far enough away from the Transfiguration Professor.

"Oi, no we're not!" Sirius rebutted quickly.

"How so?"

Peter groaned, pinching the bridge of his short button nose. "You two could not have made it more obvious that it was not in fact hypothetical! Honestly, no wonder you get so many more detentions than Moony and I. Terrible liars you lot are."

"Hey," an offended James Potter exclaimed, "I can lie."

Sirius doubled over in laughter, Peter rolled his eyes, a grin dissolving his annoyance.

Sirius was on the floor, tears of mirth wetting the concrete below him. "James mate—you-you can't—" he couldn't get a word out without wheezing.

"I can too!"

Peter sputtered, trying desperately to hold back but it was unsuccessful as he was soon holding the wall for support, his face an impressive shade of red.

"This is bullying," muttered James.

This remark only added fuel to the fire. Sirius and Peter were now clinging to each other, shaking violently from the guffaws they released into the quiet corridor.

James' arms were crossed, his mouth pulled into a deep frown. "I hate you both."

"He can lie!" screamed Peter who was now holding Sirius who had his face buried into Peter's chest.

"I'm leaving. Screw you both."

"I think you'd prefer Evans," called Peter to James' retreating figure who held up two middle fingers; one for each.

He truly did hate them, he said to himself.

It was a lie.