Chapter 27: Kinda Pretty

The holidays finished and finally the last third of the school year loaded students with exams and homework.

The boys' pranking would have to pause, this was far more intense than last year had been. Two more months until freedom.

But... one prank could be afforded before then.

    "Hurry!" Peter called, running through an empty corridor.

The other three followed close behind, giggling unabashed.

They shot spells at each wall as they passed, watching as they changed color and texture.

Some became furry and lime green while others grew spikes of neon orange. Students lounging about suddenly found themselves sinking into quicksand or impaled by the thing that had once been supporting them.

Soon the entirety of the castle had the appearance of a dangerous fun house.

Studying in a fun house did not make the task any more fun unfortunately. Not that it mattered, McGonagall and the other staff were quick to undo the four Gryffindors' hard work anyway.

Sirius tapped on the others shoulders rapidly a couple days later as they walked back to their dorms from Herbology.

"What is it mate?" asked James.

"Look!" Sirius pointed to one of the many announcement boards posted among the castle. "There's a new rule."

"So what?" wondered Peter. "There's new rules all the time."

"No... Look."

Remus sighed in annoyance at his friend's riddles before stepping forward to read the small print with the others.

Peter bounced on his toes excitedly and James flapped his arms around, eyes bright.

"They made a rule because of us!"

"Magic's banned outside of the classrooms now!"

"That's a good thing?" questioned Remus, not understanding why his friends were so excited.

"It's banned because of us!" Sirius emphasized.

"We're icons now."

Remus snorted as he nodded along with their exclamations.

"Right... something like that."

      "I hate potions!" James whined loudly a week or so later in the common room.

It was time to get down to business. Final exams would be there soon enough and it was worth it to study at least a little.

Lily glanced up from where she was studying.

"Keep your problems to yourself, Potter."

"I was, only loudly, Evans."

Peter chuckled, whispering something comical to himself causing Remus to flick his ear and Sirius to snicker.

Peter wasn't a quiet whisperer.

James had turned back to the Potions textbook, glasses slipping down his nose as he squinted at the parchment that was supposed to be his notes.

They were completely illegible though, and half of the information had never even been written down so the case of passing the end of term exams seemed a bit doomed.

      His eyes lit up as he looked back at the red-head who he'd been bantering with only a second earlier.

"Oi Evans!"

Lily snapped her book closed with exasperation.

"What, Potter?"

"You're good at Potions."

"Yes. And?"

"Think you could help me?"

"No."

Remus coughed into his hand though it hardly sounded very cough-like.

"Why not!"

"Cause I said no, that's why."

"But why did you say no?"

"Because I can."

"That's not a good reason!"

"No means no, Potter. Ask someone else, I have better things to do with my time than to help an arrogant celebrity want to be," she snipped.

"Well — well I could ask someone better than some square!"

James Fleamont Potter was apparently completely horrid at insults.

Lily fought to hold back a snort.

"Go ahead," the girl answered, completely unbothered.

"Please!"

"No."

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

"No." Thought she was surprised he knew the Muggle saying.

"Ugh you're no fun!"

"Not trying to be."

"Goody two shoes."

"Better than a pathetic excuse for a bad boy."

"Take that back!"

Sirius too, took offensive to this specific insult. He flopped backwards on the red plush sofa with a hand over his chest as though fatally wounded.

Lily rolled her eyes, a wicked idea forming in her head that would surely get this daft idiot off her back.

"If you're so desperate go ask Severus."

A collective gasp rang through the boys. Asking Severus Snape was certainly not an option!

"I'd rather die!"

"Okay."

"You want me to die!"

"I don't care, I'm not helping you."

Remus' shoulders were shaking at this point and Peter was patting him on the back, also holding back laughter at the scene. They both were well aware of what Lily Evans was capable of and were curious to see what she would do next.

"Okay," said James, searching for a last resort, "If you help me... I'll — I'll take you on a date!"

The red-head blinked at him, completely unphased.

"Tempting."

"Really?"

"Not even a little bit."

James' hazel eyes widened in shock. "You don't want to go on a date with me?"

Lily's thin eyebrow rose at his reaction. He couldn't possibly think after the stunt he'd pulled in the beginning of that year that she'd actually be swayed but such a proposition. Besides, she was with Severus now. Not that anyone else was privy to that information.

"No, I don't."

"But I'm James Potter!"

"I can see that."

"But—"

"Just drop it mate, I'll help you," Remus said, saving James from more embarrassment.

"Fine," James pouted.

He glared at the girl in front of him. "You're not even pretty," he muttered bitterly.

Her eyes rolled again. "Good thing I didn't ask," she bit back, standing up and waltzing into her dormitory.

James watched her go miserably, a horrid realization washing over him.

"She is kinda pretty," he mumbled.

*
*
*
End of Second Year