Chapter 38: Back Again

Start of 4th year

*
*
*

Summer ended beckoning students to Hogwarts once again. Kids called goodbyes to their parents, first years gaping in awe at the magnificent red vehicle in front of them. The late summer morning held a chill but warm rays of sun were melting it away quickly. Another year was here yet again.

"James come on!" shouted Peter who was standing on the bottom step of the Express.

He had spent the last couple weeks with the Potters but was excited to see the others again too. His hair had grown into a mousy-brown shag that stopped by his earlobes. Smile still bright as ever painted on his forever baby-looking face.

James ran forward, tripping over himself, not used to the length of his legs. "Coming!" he shouted, laughter present in his voice as he caught up with the shorter boy.

The boys were back at it again. Another year of mischief ahead of them.

Remus entered the compartment with stiff, aching muscles and deep eye bags. The full moon was later that night which was highly unfortunate. He wished for a moment of silence but knew his energetic friends wouldn't be able to grant such a favor.

"Hey Moony!" Peter rustled in his bag for a moment, pulling out a foil-wrapped treat. "Here, it's chocolate, I know the moon's tonight."

Remus smiled—or rather grimaced—thankfully, accepting the delicacy Pete and sinking into the cushioned seat next to him."Thanks Pete, you're a good mate."

"No problem," Peter beamed, "I had extra from my birthday."

Sirius entered a moment later. His hair was grown out, covering his eyes. He slumped down next to James, feet kicked up onto the space unoccupied by Peter or Remus across the compartment.

"Sirius, you're here!" exclaimed James, jumping up and wrestling the boy into a bear-hug.

Sirius laughed as he hugged back, but it didn't sound genuine.

"How was everyone's summer," asked Pete once everyone was settled.

"Fine," shrugged Remus, "Mum's into gardening now."

"Oh, like Herbology?"

"Nah, she's a Muggle Pete."

"Oh," Pete's lips pulled into a small confused frown before chuckling slightly at his Muggle ignorance.

James laughed, breaking any awkwardness. "Well mine was wicked," he volunteered. "Dad took us to Portugal during July, we visited some family there and then Pete came for the last month of the holidays. Also," his voice lowered, leaning forward as he pulled something from his jacket, "I nicked this from Dad's closet."

The material was silvery and looked nearly translucent. Whatever it was was mesmerizing.

"Is that an invisibility cloak?" asked Sirius, fingers grazing the fabric in awe.

James nodded, bouncing the seat as he did. "Yep! It's been passed down by my family line for centuries."

"Wicked," Peter breathed, "Are we gonna use it for pranks?"

"Definitely!"

"James you're a bloody genius mate," Sirius shouted, grasping the cloak and holding it lovingly to his cheek, "A bloody genius."

"We just have to be careful with it," warned Remus. "We'd get detention for a month if we're caught with this."

The other three nodded in agreement.