Chapter 25: American Hick

"Mind if I sit here?"

Lauren answered quickly that of course they could, not looking at who had asked as she was busy rummaging through her bag for a spare quill.

Usually Emmeline shared the table with her but Emmeline was ill that day so the seat was unoccupied.

Finally, she managed to get a hold of the quill and sat up, turning to greet her neighbor. The girl beat Lauren to it.

"Nickel is it?" she questioned, a suspicious gleam in her dark eyes.

"Yes."

A chuckle was heard on her other side. "Isn't that some pathetic muggle currency from your washed up hick country?"

Lauren felt hot anger racing through her veins as these two Slytherin girls continued their interrogation.

This was nothing new. Often people would poke fun at her. Whether it was for her muggle blood or American nationality, they were relentless. She should have paid more attention before giving up the seat so easily.

The idea of raising her hand and bringing attention to the issue at hand crossed her mind but she knew that it would do more harm than good. She'd just have to let it continue until class started. Better that than to fight fire with fire.

A third girl arrived and quickly dug into the bullying as well.

Their insults were repetitive and honestly more stupid than cruel so Lauren didn't bother to get offended. She instead focused on copying down the notes pre-written on the board so she could be best prepared for the lecture.

History of Magic was not exactly an exhilarating course, but was worth doing good in anyway.

The next few weeks they'd be learning about the founding of Hogwarts along with the separation of Salazar Slytherin and the controversies and conspiracies surrounding that.

With a better, alive professor, she had no doubt that the whole class would be engaged on the topic. But alas, they were stuck with Professor Binns, a hundred-something year old ghost who was practically blind and deaf and completely monotone.

"Oi, what's going on here ladies?"

Lauren had become so focused on the board that she'd forgotten that three snakes were still inside her bubble.

She returned her attention to the girls who were now smiling all seductively at the boy in front of them.

"We were just making friends with Lauren Nickel," one said, "Weren't we Salem?"

Salem Montague apparently, nodded a sneer etched into her visage.

"Oh yes, we were simply learning more about muggle currency." She snickered.

"It's quite fascinating to learn about cowboys and Indians. After all, Nickel's an expert obviously," the third concluded.

Lauren cringed at that. That terminology was so extremely outdated. Not that that mattered to any of them.

She expected Evan Rosier to grin and join in. She prepared herself for the mockery of yet another snake.

On the farm, she could behead a serpent with her bare hands, but this wasn't her turf and they were Boa Constrictors.

"Alright, that's enough," Evan said, casually leaning against the desk, a wide smile on his tanned face. "Leave her alone ladies."

"Of come on Ev," Juliette Wilkes whined, pouting her lips pathetically, "What's wrong with a bit of fun?"

"Yeah," Venus Parkinson added, "She's a blood-traitor, American hick anyway." She ended her statement with a terrible, ear-grating attempt at an American accent.

"And in the classroom the best place to be cruel?" Rosier reasoned. "It's as if you want to get detention."

The three girls rolled their eyes and muttered but eventually slithered off to their own seats without another word.

Lauren hadn't been aware that her breath had caught until she released it. She gave a cautious, shaky smile to the blond-haired boy. He was no more trustworthy than his predecessors but she was grateful for the break.

Evan waved his hand. "Ignore them. I do."

Lauren chuckled weakly. "Thanks."

"Look, I know the last thing you want is to deal with another Slytherin but it appears class is about to start and my seat is all the way across the room."

He was smiling at her with those impossibly white teeth of his and those blue eyes looked so deep and sincere, Lauren couldn't help but allow him to join her. Afterall, he'd just stopped the bullying, it was the least she could do. Besides, she concluded, he was cute – too cute.

Remus saw Lauren and Rosier around the castle often. He'd stepped in the first time but both parties had assured him that they were with each other by choice so he had retreated reluctantly.

He didn't trust it. Not one bit. Especially not with Rosier's hands brushing against Lauren's and their shared, head-bowed giggles.

But, Lauren was his friend and if she fancied this Slytherin, then it wasn't his place to say anything in opposition.