Chapter 13: Homesick

James Potter always woke up early. He was an early bird, always had been. His parents had figured he'd grow out of it as he grew older, that it was just a typical little stage. At least that's what they hope for the sake of their health.

Unfortunately for them, their son passed eight, then nine, and ten and still was waking before daybreak. This made planning for holidays and birthdays difficult because they could not rely on getting up early to put out presents. Furthermore, when James was excited, he didn't sleep. Euphemia and Fleamont were saints on such occasions, putting gifts out well past midnight and being woken only a couple of hours later.

March twenty-seventh was one such day. This was James' birthday. He was turning twelve. That is a big age for a boy to turn, he had proclaimed to his friends. Sirius had agreed of course, and Peter had said how excited he was to be twelve in a few months. The problem? James woke up at 4:47 am and had no gifts laying out for him. There was no way for his friends to know of the traditions back home, so James had to sit in the darkness all alone waiting to get well-wishes until well into the morning.

While he waited, James dressed in his best clothes, deciding he could get away with not following the uniform that day. Although he always complained about it, he used a bit of his father's Sleekeasy hair potion to aid his impossibly messy hair. He then snuck out of the dorm, making out to the Black Lake, where he watched the sunset rise over the hills, reflecting the cool water with hues of oranges and pinks that were simply stunning.

The only other people out at this hour were a couple of Slytherins getting in an early quidditch practice. James hated to admit it, but the snakes were nothing if not committed to all that they did. He hoped to be that passionate about it once he got on the team.

The hours dragged by. He'd snuck dungbombs into the slytherin common room, eaten breakfast from the kitchens that he had found while exploring, and even got a headstart on some homework. Yes, that was right, homework. It wasn't even seven yet. The good thing was that Sirius would be up soon enough so James wouldn't have to wait much longer for his desired attention.

As he's suspected, Sirius was up, just finishing getting dressed once James had returned to the dorm. Sirius gave a half-hearted wave and smiled.

"Good morning," he whispered, as to not wake the others.

"Mornin.'"

Sirius reached under his bed grabbing something and tossing it to James. "Here. Happy birthday."

James beamed. Presents were always exciting. He hated that there would be no signature pancakes from mum or stupid songs from dad, but perhaps this would be okay. He tore the wrapping paper and his grin widened when he saw the gift within. A first edition, signed copy of Quidditch Through the Ages was in the palm of his hands. Brillant. How had Sirius managed to get such a thing?

"Blimey," James breathed, eyes not leaving the shiny, hard cover. "How did you manage this?"

Sirius shrugged. "Money can buy anything," he said nonchalantly.

"Well, thank you." James pulled his friend into a tight bear hug, not noticing how Sirius stiffened. "This is the only book I'll ever read."

Sirius had never experienced such gratefulness, such genuine appreciation from someone. Especially over something that really wasn't a big of a deal. The gift was only a book. The Black's probably had three more signed copies lying around their barely-touched library.