Chapter 37: Never

TW:
Snily (ew) but bare with me
*
*
*

      July 20th, 1974, was supposed to be the greatest celebration of the Sacred Twenty-Eight since the union of Bellatrix Black and Rodolphus Lestrange five years prior.

      Everything was to be perfect. The canopy was pristine, no fleck of dust allowed on its canvas of white. The flower arrangements sat on every table as a centerpiece, the House Elves going around every so often to prune off loose leaves or petals. Albino peacocks curled the entrance, courtesy of the Malfoy family. Everything was white; it was a signal of the purity these families worked so hard to continue. 

  Sirius fixed the tie of his robes, knowing if anything was even a millimeter off his mother would be sure to do something about it.

      He hated the damned thing but had enough sense to know this was not the event to make a scene at.

      Regulus was already downstairs, speaking with the early arrivals, acting the part of perfect golden-child.

      From his window, Sirius could see cousins and other pure-blood families milling about in expensive dress-robes, discussing the importance of this day.

      It was perplexing how they all enjoyed one another. All the rules and traditions were second-nature to them and yet Sirius failed dismally at understanding a single one.

      He watched Abraxas and Anastasia Malfoy socialize with the rest of the pureblood elites, their noses permanently stuck in the air, ready to sniff out the most insignificant of mistakes.  

    Despite laughing at Peter a month or two prior, Sirius couldn't help but agree with him; Narcissa deserved better. Lucius Abraxas Malfoy was a right prat.

      Nevertheless, Narcissa loved him, genuinely, her icy blue eyes said as much melting whenever he was in view. Sirius may not have been as much of a fan of his youngest cousin as he had been of Andromeda, but her happiness was important to him, and so that's all he wished for her.

      Despite the betrothal that had been bestowed upon the pair for nearly two decades, they had fallen deeply for one another and that was really all that mattered.

  "Sirius, are you ready?" Walburga's harsh voice startled him from his pondering.

      He nodded, meeting his mother's eyes. "Yes Mother."

      "Good. Come downstairs, we've been waiting long enough."

      It was wedding time.

    Bellatrix Lestrange (Neé Black), Desdemona Parkinson (Neé Montague), and Cereus Greengrass led the way as Narcissa's Maiden of Honour and Bridesmaids.

      Standing beside Lucius were Walden McNair, Rabastan Lestrange and Ansel Parkinson. A miserable group, Sirius thought.

      The flower-girl was Lillith Yaxley who was freshly two years old. The ring-bearer being Garrett Goyle, the three year old son of Bellatrix's friends Kieran Goyle and Patricia Avery.

  The wedding itself was long and filled with Pureblood traditions that Sirius couldn't bother to remember. He hated that in a few years time, he'd be expected to be reciting these long winded vows of purity.