Chapter 41: Breakthrough & Break Up

The Sirius Black birthday party was tradition at this point. Gryffindor tower was full of festivities that evening, classwork due the next day disregarded in favor of smuggled firewhiskey and table-top dances.

      The man of the hour danced his way across the room with Mary MacDonald whilst his mates wolf-whistled only egging him on further.

      The other Gryffindor girls were engaged in conversation with West McKinnon.

      Marlene joked around with the older boy who was the sibling closest in age to her and meanwhile shot glances at Mary every few seconds, an unreadable glint in her eyes.

      Lily was actually discussing Herbology with the boy because that was the best topic of discussion at a party, obviously.

      Marlene swallowed the remaining of the burning, golden liquor.

      Across the room, Remus and Amelia observed the chaos with shared laughter and inside jokes, their respective friends close by.

      Peter and Charity Burbage appeared to be getting along well and Amelia took no time to point out that if they were to get together the double-date opportunities would be amazing.

      Hestia Jones, who had practically been dragged to the event by her roommates, zoned out Amelia's babbling. "Still glad you dragged me here?" she drawled.

      Juliet Embry, the last of the girls not dancing, rolled her eyes and scoffed. "It was more Whitney & Amelia  than me," she said.

      "Yeah and Amelia only came cause her precious boyfriend is here," Hestia retorted. "You know damn well if she was single, she'd be holed up in her room studying all night."

      It was true, when Amelia wasn't focused on a boy she was dead set on her studies. How else was she going to become the Minister for Magic one day?  

      Juliet waved her off. "You sound jealous T," she teased.

      "Please," Hestia laughed, "we both know boys aren't my area and Amelia isn't my type."  

      The blonde took a sip of her fire-whiskey, eyes squinting and lips puckering with disgust as she did, causing the brunette beside her to snort loudly. "Well, McKinnon looks bored out of her bloody mind, it might be entertaining to talk to her."  

      Dark eyes narrowed before a hand ran through a head long braids. "Fine. But if this backfires I'm blaming you." 

      "You're just talking. I reckon you'll be fine."

      Marlene, still staring at Mary with her lips pursed and jaw clenched, jumped as someone new came into view.

      An eyebrow raised as she took in the girl who interrupted her viewing: Tall but not any more than the Gryffindor, dark skin, her hair in braids, and an unfortunate resting bitch face but still charming looking.

      She felt the cup she held slip in her grasp, hands suddenly clammy.

      Marlene cleared her throat, willing the confident facade back into her posture. "Can I help you?"

      The girl she recognized as one of the Hufflepuff quidditch players shook her head slightly. "I noticed you looked bored, figured I am too and misery makes company."

      Laughing slightly Marlene welcomed the company and stuck out a hand. "Marlene McKinnon."

      The other girl's hand felt warm in her own, slightly rough from years of playing quidditch but not in a bad way. It felt safe. "Hestia Jones, nice to meet you."

      As Mary and Sirius came back to view, Marlene realized the uncomfortable feeling she'd felt deep in the pit of her stomach all night had dissipated. Finally relaxed, the two girls took to the dance floor, deciding it didn't matter what others thought for this one night.  

It had been decided as the weeks passed with little improvement what Lily had to do. She had no idea what it would mean for the future of their friendship if there was even going to be one after this, but knew she couldn't continue being disloyal to herself and her friends.

      As Saturday evening approached, the fourteen year-old Gryffindor slipped down to the dungeons, heading to the perpetually empty potions room that had been their designated spot for over three years now.

      Regulus wouldn't be there thankfully. He had quidditch practice as he'd made the reserve Seeker for Slytherin.

The door creaked, letting Severus know of the girl's arrival. Inside, the room smelled of moonstone and expired shrivel figs. Lily coughed slightly, the dust catching her off-guard.

      Before Severus could begin speaking about some potion or a new spell of his, she cut to the chase. "I think we should talk."

      Severus blinked at her, removing his hand from the ladle he was using to place some potion into vials. "We always talk."

      Frustrated, Lily released a long breath, tapping her foot impatiently against the stone floor. "You know what I mean," she said, gaze locked with his.

      He matched her exasperation, potion now officially abandoned. "If this is about my friends and the Muggleborn stuff, we've already been over it, there's nothing else to say."

      Severus tilted his head to the right the slightest bit, daring the girl in front of him to a challenge. 

      "I disagree."

      A humorless laugh echoed through the empty room. "How so?" 

      "It's been three weeks since Halloween and yet I've seen no changes Sev. You still condone Mulcibur and Avery's behavior, let them scoff at me and all the others yet say nothing.
      "I see how you look at every other Muggleborn, like they're dirt on your brand new, polished shoes.
       "I hate being the exception. I hate that the only reason that I am is because you're blinded by your love for me." 

      Severus stood from his seat, the chair making a noise to make ears right as it scraped backwards.

      A few strides later he was in front of Lily, holding her hands in his, capturing her attention.

      "Flower," he murmured, not noticing how his girlfriend's gaze only hardened at the pet-name, "You know I have a bad relationship with Muggles because of my father."

      He pushed a strand of fallen hair behind her ear.

      "You know if it weren't him my mother would still be in the House of Prince, could be part of the highest society. She'd be an esteemed witch and I..." he paused getting lost in a fantasy, "a pureblood wizard with connections that could take me everywhere I wished." 

      Lily stared at him, not sure what this had to do with anything. Yes, she knew this background but that didn't explain his disdain for Muggleborns. It wasn't as if they were stealing these connections and places in high society from him. Lily herself knew from the age of eleven that she'd have to fight to get a rightful place in greater wizarding society. Imagining walking into pureblood circles was laughable. Yet, Severus, courtesy of his house and mother's maiden name, still could.  

      She pointed out as much to the dark-haired boy who did not seem to want to see reason.

      "Fine. You know everything then. Tell me what you want. What will appease you?" asked Severus, sneering.

      "I want to break up–" she held up a hand to pause the boy's interruption. "I want to have more clarity on our friendship and greater relationship and I think you need that too.
      "I'm giving you freedom; be friends with those creeps, believe you're better than Muggleborns, laugh at others' misery. See if that makes you happier to bring others down just because your mother fell in love with someone with less. See if you still think I'm so special when I'm not around all the time."

      Severus grumbled and pouted, trying to make arguments that Lily wouldn't hear.

      Finally he stormed out of the classroom, slamming the heavy door behind him with a loud, rattling thud.