Chapter 31: Hogsmeade

McGonagall stood at the grand castle's entrance with a lengthy checklist, stopping every adolescent who wished to pass into Hogsmeade to verify they had permission.

      The four Gryffindor boys were passed through rather quickly.

      Perhaps the ageing Transfiguration professor wanted to start the day in which they were no longer her responsibility sooner they did.

      The walk to the nearby village took nearly an hour but was more than worth it. Weathered buildings stood with fading colorful signs advertising products, new and old. Many restaurants and cafes dotted the areas with shops for everything imaginable in between them.

      Students milled about, peeking into book shops or the apothecary, sipping on Butterbeer, or simply spending time with friends as they window shopped.

      It was surprisingly warm for late October. The brown leaves on the trees overhead even appeared hesitant to fall. The rain that was often relentless this time of year was nowhere to be seen, instead replaced with patchy clouds and a cool breeze.

      Sirius took advantage of this, shaking out his long hair when a particular group of witches passed on the other side of the street.

      "Lads, we have to go there!" James exclaimed tugging on Sirius' arm.

      Zonko's joke shop was simply spectacular. Its sign was bright yellow, its letters a bold purple color.

      Inside, the store was painted a welcoming shade of golden yellow and its shelves were stacked with dozens of Filibusters Fireworks, Dung Bombs, and other practical jokes that left the boys ogling.

      They spent three of the seven hours allotted for the Hogsmeade trip in this shop of dreams, only leaving when half of the products were loaded into their arms.

Eventually Remus dragged his friends into Honeydukes — only the best sweet shop in all of Britain he claimed.

      The boy practically exploded from the delicacies in front of him. Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans, Chocolate Frogs, dark chocolate Coconut Ice, Cauldron Cakes and more filled their brains with dreams of a sugar-induced coma.

      Remus Lupin had never seen so much chocolate in his life and was determined to try everything at least once before graduation. Even the Vampire Blood Lollies, Cockroach Clusters and Acid pops

"So we're definitely pranking Snivellous after we get back right?"

      The boys were now in the Three Broomsticks, enjoying the last hour of what was considered the best day of their lives.

      James nodded fervently, ignoring the cream mustache he unknowingly had.

      "Absolutely, he won't see it coming!"

      "Wicked!"

      Remus listened to the others talk about their prank plans. He too loved the good prank every once in a while, but lately it seemed Snape was their only target. It was a bit unfair in the Lupin boy's opinion, but he wasn't willing to risk his friendship by telling Sirius, James and Peter to stop.

      The three continued their plans as the cafe slowly emptied around them. The clock read half-past four.

      Realization dawned on Remus as he realized the only others were in fact adults and those who lived in the villages nearby. Hogwarts students were expected to be back at the castle by four that afternoon. The Gryffindor boys had overstayed their welcome. McGonagall would be peeved.

      McGonagall was peeved. She berated the boys and gave them each a week's worth of detention with Filch.

      Argus Filch was perhaps the worst person to walk the earth aside from Voldemort himself. He was the castle's equivalent to a janitor and was a stickler for the rules and harsh punishment. The man was also strangely attached to his cat.

      Rumor had it that the feline had been around as long as he had. The thing was creepy, had a sort of human-sentience, communicated with Filch somehow, and clearly was immortal if it had been alive for so long.

      The boys were not going to get away with anything. It was going to be a long week.

      Filch almost cackled that Monday. His office was decorated with medieval torture devices that seemed to have been recently sharpened and polished.

      "He's not going to use those on us right?" asked James.

      Peter shrugged, letting out a shaky sigh. "I wouldn't put it past him mate."

      The cat, Mrs. Norris,' large golden eyes fixed upon the group, her tail flicking side to side impatiently.

      Sirius gulped, keeping his own gaze glued to the dark feline. He did not like cats and this one only made his dislike worse.

      Suddenly a rag was tossed to them.

      "Potter, you'll be cleaning the trophies in the display."

      He tossed a second.

      "Black you'll be scrubbing the floors of this corridor."

      The old man then turned to the two remaining.

      "Pettigrew, you'll be filing in my office. Lupin, you'll be responsible for cleaning the Great Hall."

      He grinned as the boys began to pull out their wands, save for Remus.

      "Ah, I forgot to mention... No magic."

      A chorus of groans filled the room but no one dared to object. Not with torture devices hanging on the wall only a few feet from them.

      "Get to work!" Filch snapped.

      He began walking down the corridor before stopping and turning.

      'No funny business. I'm always watching."

      James shivered.