I.I

--- PART ONE:  illicit affairs ---

"Katie!" You yell and run to catch up with your roommate

"Katie!" You yell and run to catch up with your roommate. You sling your crossbody further up onto your shoulder, walking side by side with her.

"Are you ready for our first day of law school, Einstein?" She nudges you with a smile.

You roll your eyes at the nickname and open your phone and glance down at the schedule, "Yep. Room 221, Aaron Hotchner, Criminal Law." You lock the phone and shove it into your pocket, "So what do we know about this Hotchner guy? You always seem to know something."

"I heard he's kind of a sexist asshole," She walks alongside you across the lawn. The weather is still warm so the whole campus is covered with students. You try your best to contain the combination of nerves and excitement but the large coffee you have in hand isn't exactly helping.

"I mean most men are," You laugh playfully, "But how bad is it?"

"Apparently he picks one person each year that he just grills and utterly tears apart during class. It's usually a female student." You open your thermos as Katie talks and take a long sip.

"Jesus, what a prick," You chuckle and shake your head, "Probably thinks most of the female students aren't as qualified."

"Apparently he's a fucking ruthless grader. He only gives one student in the entire class an A each semester." She looks at you, "So don't take it too personally when you don't get an A."

You roll your eyes at her. You've only known Katie a few weeks but she's already become your best friend. As your best friend, she takes every opportunity to tease you about everything. Especially the fact that you're only 20 years old. You're not a genius by any standard. You just work hard. School is everything to you. Intelligence is everything. It's what you have the most confidence in. Don't get it twisted, you don't think you're unattractive. You just never feel more confident than when you're in an academic environment. So Katie teases you. Guess the nickname for today is Einstein.

As you adjust the bag on your shoulder you can't help but notice how light it feels. "Holy fucking shit," Your eyes widen and you freeze in your tracks.

"What's wrong?" Katie walks a few steps ahead before realizing that you've stopped a little behind her.

"Fuck! I forgot my textbook and my laptop on my bed!" You rifle through the bag, pulling all your books out of the bag and into your arms.

"Do you really need them?"

"All of my notes about the reading are on my computer!" You hand Katie a few things from your bag as you empty the whole thing out, all your materials for the class missing from the bag.

"I mean who assigns reading on the first day anyway," Katie shrugs, "I barely skimmed the reading. You don't need that stuff. And if he asks questions about it, I'm sure you'll remember enough."