II.I

--- PART TWO: mad woman ---

A/N: "Bruises" by Lewis Capaldi and "I Almost Do" by Taylor Swift

A/N: "Bruises" by Lewis Capaldi and "I Almost Do" by Taylor Swift. Uh, this chapter is by far the longest singular chapter I have ever written... am I shooting myself in the foot by writing such a long first chapter for part 2? most definitely.

It's almost eight years until you hear the name Aaron Hotchner again.

You're anxiously awaiting the call about your reassignment within the FBI. You had completed your year of mandated leave, gone through the required psych evaluations, gone through the training protocols. You're ready to get back into the action, or, at least, you're ready enough to get back to work. That's when you receive the final message.

Your reinstatement was to be within the Quantico headquarters. This way, the brass could keep a close eye on you, while still utilizing your skills in the best possible way. So you flew into Quantico late Saturday night, moving into the cheapest apartment you could find. It was in a terrible area but being out of work for a year leaves you without much spare cash to live lavishly. Without your government-issued weapon, you check the deadlock every time you turn your back to the door for too long.

You have hardly any furniture in the apartment, most of the decor being the piles and piles of boxes in the center of your living room. You're exhausted, in every possible way, so you settle for a fast shower, during which you're entirely paranoid someone is going to break into your apartment. You collapse onto your bed, barely having the energy to even put the sheets on the bed to make it. The call comes through your phone shortly after you fall asleep, which means you don't check your messages until early Sunday.

"This is Erin Strauss of the Behavioral Analysis Unit. I'm calling to inform you that the council has processed your psych evaluation and administered a new gun registration and badge for you. You will now be working under me as a profiler within the BAU. It is my understanding that you've taken quite a few profiling classes in your training as a negotiator and you're well equipped for this job. There will be a slight adjustment period but nothing that I do not believe you are capable of handling. You will start in your new position on Monday. Meet me at my office and I can brief you about the basics and then Agent Aaron Hotchner, BAU Unit Chief, will take it from there."

You practically drop the phone. Your hands shake slightly, as you click off the phone and place it back onto your bedside table. You write Strauss an email in response, apologizing for missing her call, accepting the position, thanking her for the opportunity, and expressing your immense gratitude for such an esteemed position with such a great team. But that's a lie. For a split second, you believe it's possible that this Aaron Hotchner is a completely different one than your Aaron Hotchner. You've never been a believer in fate or destiny. But for this to be a coincidence is simply unbelievable. Isn't he supposed to be tormenting more students, torturing more girls, breaking more hearts? How did he end up as the BAU Unit Chief within the FBI?