01. POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS

2016 | HYDRA UNDERWATER RESEARCH BASE — The HYDRA, a secret terrorist organization well known for their cruel and gruesome experiments over the past centuries

2016 | HYDRA UNDERWATER RESEARCH BASE — The HYDRA, a secret terrorist organization well known for their cruel and gruesome experiments over the past centuries. Maybe you've already heard of some of them? The Winter Soldier, a former and kind-hearted WWII soldier with a metal arm who is responsible for more than two dozen assassinations in the past 50 years.

Or perhaps from the Maximoff twins? Unlike the soldier, these two were volunteers who initially longed for power and vengeance. Quicksilver, the boy with lightning-fast reflexes and superhuman speed. But the younger twin, the so-called Scarlet-Witch, is by far the most powerful creation of HYDRA. The girl possesses skills such as telekinesis, levitation, telepathy and manipulation of the energy that surrounds her.

Another experiment is the girl that is used for the secret underwater missions. While she is extremely dangerous, HYDRA prefers to let her do the kind of missions without attacks, as it could be too risky for someone to discover their little secret. Because who else would dive for valuable treasures, expensive riches and deadly weapons for HYDRA?

Her name is Siren. Of course, that wasn't her real name, but eventually over the time, you forget your real identity. She has mysterious hydro-powers, underwater breath, enhanced senses, and a voice so powerful it is said it can drive people to kill themselves rather than endure the sound of her screams.

HYDRA took away this once so innocent girl's freedom, her memories and her humanity...

They let their mermaid swim in their huge aquarium, which, however, resembled a cell, when she is not sent on important missions for HYDRA. Or rather sent there with mind-manipulation.

It's just cruel to have to live like that. Every single day came with terrible fear, sad loneliness, inevitable remorse and tortured pain.

It's a cliché how a single moment, or a single day, can change everything. But like all clichés, it's the truth.

"Siren, come to the surface." Said the loud and hoarse voice, through the speakers. In the blue water of the cell, the respective lights flickered on, which indicated that the girl was being needed again. "We have a little surprise for you." At the signal, she swam to the surface and listened to what the men had to say.

"You can go on a mission for us. We lost Loki's scepter, but we have already found something else that could help HYDRA. It is a valuable artifact that is said to be hidden on a sunken ship. It is called the Cosmic Cube, and it is said to have great power. From what we've heard it's even able to destroy an entire galaxy." declared the HYDRA leader, Baron Wolfgang von Strucker.

Even the thought of that left the girl trembling. "No, please ... I don't want to." She pleaded as the fear spread in her stomach. Because she knew exactly what was about to happen to her.

"My little one, you know what that means." Replied the man, cold and unmoved. "I'm very sorry, but you know the rules."

Without warning, the two HYDRA agents named Rumlow and Ward approached her and forced the mermaid out of the warm water. She knew from her own experience that if she defended herself, the water would be charged with painful electricity, that'll electrocute her.

The two of them threw her on a cold chair and made sure that she remained seated as the two of them held her down with their firm handholds. The girl despised them, but Agent Ward and Rumlow had took a liking towards the prisoner, they had took a liking towards her suffering.

The leader stepped closer to the girl, with an indigo blue colored book in his hand with a black anchor on it. He opened it and already heard the wailing pleading that escaped her. "NO PLEASE! DON'T DO THIS! Stop ... please." She cried until her voice was only a faint whisper.

But his eyes stayed on the book. "Longing. Anchor. Beauty. Twenty-four. Daybreak." He began to read. It was a kind of powerful mind control, just like those monsters did with the Winter-Soldier every time.

"STOP IT!" She screamed with excruciating pain and fear. She felt it all over her body, in her lungs, in her head and in her heart.

Mind-manipulations felt awful. It was as if this particular sequence of words were burning your muscles, your veins and arteries so that you no longer had any control over them.

After that, you usually felt numb. You were like a puppet on some sort of strings ... and the worst part was the remorse you felt after every mission. Everything happened in front of your eyes, but there is nothing you can do about it or even the slightest defense. It's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from, it never stops.

The words wrapped themselves around her like heavy chains, while Strucker concentrated calmly. "Family. Mercy. Nine. Homecoming. Ocean." These were the last commands before the girl suddenly cried out loudly in pain.

All of the agents, doctors and scientists in the room covered their ears as fast as they could, but that was of little use. Ward and Rumlow, who were closest to the girl, even had some red blood dripping from their ears.

After the mind manipulation was completely done and the girl calmed down again, she slowly sank back on her chair and fearlessly looked into the cold, cruel eyes of the HYDRA leader. Only to mirror his unfazed expression. "Siren?" He asked carefully, waiting for her confirmation.

"Ready for mission."