22. PARALYZED

ARIEL POV — The last thing I could remember, well before everything went black before my eyes, was Wanda who sat next to me and had lovingly looked after me

ARIEL POV — The last thing I could remember, well before everything went black before my eyes, was Wanda who sat next to me and had lovingly looked after me. I probably lost track of time, but every now and then the others would stop by to check on me too ... everyone but Steve. Did he forget about me? Was he mad at me? Maybe he didn't care about me after all?

It made me sad, my heart slowed down at the thought ... it probably didn't break, but it was close to that. I still had some hope left. I wanted to see him so bad. My vision was still very weak and sometimes even blurred or distorted. They must have been given me some very strong medication. But what was wrong with me? After all these days, I still felt so exhausted and sick.

I hardly noticed anything that was happening around me, but I still felt several people around me. Natasha would come by sometimes and help me change clothes or take me to the bathroom. Sam and Bucky took turns helping me sit up, stand up and walk. Wanda brought me food and drinks and Tony brought me medicine, sat in a chair by my bed and chatted with me or asked some questions. He said he was trying to heal me, trying to help me.

But what did I have?
Was I dying?
I'm so scared.

Once again I opened my lazy eyes while concentrating on my breathing. In and out, and then everything all over again, i tried my best. Then I heard a voice again, it sounded curious but cautious. "Do you remember me?" Asked the voice when I felt a rough hand on my head, stroking my cold forehead. I was freezing, none of the blankets seemed to work. "Yes..." I answered, almost unconsciously. It was as if I only heard his voice from time to time. It was a male voice. It had to be Tony, probably.

"I heard that James and Wanda were with you." That's right, the two of them have visited me a lot in the last few days. "Tell me, do they still have their special abilities?" Neither my head nor my eyes moved. But inside I wanted to nod at his question. "Tell me about them?"

"What did you do to me?" I asked Tony when I managed to get a measly sentence out of my throat, assuming I was in his lab. It felt so cold, it reminded me of his lab tanble when he showed me the necklace he made for me. "I'm just trying to help you." His voice answered firmly. Yes ... that was Tony Stark, he was a brilliant genius and never gave up helping his friends wherever he could. I looked up to him, admiring him the way he always managed everything. "It's for your own good." In some way that sentence calmed me down. "You did great." That was the last thing, Tony said to me before leaving his lab after the argument over the necklace.

"Steve..." I mumbled, remembering him again. After I left the lab, I was back with Steve the same evening. "Steve?" I was with him all the time ... But where was he now? It felt like forever. "Steve..." My body was rigid. Still, it was easy for me to let his name flow from my lips. "What about, Captain Rogers?" The voice asked in a confused tone. "Tell me about him."

"Captain..." I muttered in a whisper. "You- you saved me first." I repeated this sentence from my memories. "I want to help..." I felt like drowning in old memories.

"My dear, you are already helping us." The voice replied and I looked up at Tony, who was patting my forehead with a warm, damp cloth. "We'll manage somehow." Tony assured me, softly smiling at me. He turned around for a moment and must have looked for something on a table in my room. "What are you doing?" I asked him, trying to tilt my head in his direction. He turned back to me and held something in his hand. My vision was blurred, so I couldn't see it exactly. Once more he approached me, so that I had a better view.

"I'll help you get back on your feet." He replied. "But tell me, don't you miss your tai?" He asked, lifting the object in his hand so that I could finally see it clearly. "I'm sorry, but this might hurt..." From then on my heart started racing like crazy. The sweat was dripping more and more from my forehead. My mouth felt dry and every now and then I suddenly contained a clear Image. "You're not Tony..." I whispered, slightly shaking when the realization hit me. In the lab, Tony had promised he would never hurt me.

"It will improve your skills." He replied – Strucker replied, holding the syringe with a bright blue liquid in his hand. "We need you, Siren." Without warning I felt a hell of a pain in my throat, after he injected the needle at the side of my neck. It tasted awful, as if I had salt water in my mouth. It burned my lungs, making me feel the drowning sensation once again. The last thing I heard was a faint scream – It was me.  And then then I was torn back into the black.