33. NOT A SINGLE SIGN

2016 | AVENGERS COMPOUND — Steve was in denial

2016 | AVENGERS COMPOUND — Steve was in denial. He couldn't accept any of this. There was so much in his life that he regretted: so many things he still wanted to do, and too many things he still wanted to say. Sometimes one never truly appreciates the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

While this story had heroes, soldiers, warriors, even witches and mermaids, this is not a fairy tale... because fairy tales, as always, have happy endings. No, the girl dies in the arms of her first love and one finds it cruel that in this world Shakespeare kills Juliet first.

And for Steve, the worst part of it all was watching her lie there in front of him on that cold table. He cried and begged in pain for her to to open her eyes, while she peacefully took her last breath.

But that wasn't the only thing that bothered him. Fate was once again not kind to him and Bucky. Nobody had expected it, nobody understood it at the same time, but once again there was no trace of Bucky. The Others had last seen him helping Wanda into a Quinjet. He was no longer under the mind manipulation, no doubt, but he was gone nonetheless. Maybe he was trying to live in the shadows for now?

Steve felt cursed. It was like bad luck was always following him. He wasn't superstitious, nor did he believe in something like actual magic existing. I don't believe in magic, he said so many years ago, back in 2012. You will when you meet the right one, it was none other than Tony who answered this - just another poor attempt to cheer the old Captain up. How many times had he hoped to encourage Steve to date anyone? He just wanted him to be happy and not so alone: a nice life with security, stability and a family, because, isn't this what everyone wishes for? Deep down inside Tony cared a lot for him, even if he might not always show it.

Sure enough, Steve wasn't alone or unhappy when he still had the two of them. And that's exactly why Tony, didn't give up so quickly on Ariel. She was still in her room, lying peacefully in her bed, next to her an IV that pumps her system with saltwater and other meds. Tony hoped this would purify her blood and strengthen her somehow. After eight days, on her being on salt-water, the genius noticed a change. Her cheeks had turned a soft pink. Her hair became a fiery red again and her lips a peach hue. Yet not a single heartbeat, not a breath, not a pulse, not even Wanda could comprehend even the purest thought with her powers.