13. THE SEA OF DREAMS

1935 | ATLANTIC OCEAN — surrounded by the blue waters, she swam along the sparkling sea floor

1935 | ATLANTIC OCEAN — surrounded by the blue waters, she swam along the sparkling sea floor. Everywhere she looked, she always discovered the beautiful treasures of the ocean. The different shells, the small starfish, the colorful coral fields. Even the dolphins, seahorses and fish joined near the mermaid and swam around her without any fear of her. She enjoyed the calming silence and the peace that reigned down there. Still, she was lonely in this infinite underwater world.

One evening she swam up to the surface, which was lit by the glow of the silver moon. She sat down on a grayish rock that peeked out of the sea and looked up at the twinkling stars in the clear night sky. In the background she heard the faint rustling of the cool waves, as well as the sound of the night.

She quietly sang a song softly with her voice and continued to gaze at the stars, while slowly swinging her mermaid tail to the sweet melody.

Her voice was beautiful indeed, but you could hear her pain, suffering and loneliness inside of her. Legends say that true mermaids could beguile sailors with their singing and made them steer their ships against the rocks. But this girl wasn't a real mermaid ...

Shortly she interrupted her singing and thought she heard something. Confused, she stared around and saw nothing abnormal. But then again she heard an indescribable noise. This time she was sure to have heard something. The heart in her chest began to race faster and faster and meanwhile she felt more and more uncomfortable in the dark night.

She decided to dive back into the water and head to another place that was more hidden.

After a few seconds, however, she heard the strange noise again, only this time it was a lot louder. And much more frightening than before.

But before she had the chance to turn around, she heard a loud bang and felt something heavy surrounding her. It pulled her down, it scratched her skin and fin. With all her strength she tried to free herself, but she was trapped in a huge fishing net. Panicking she grabbed the net with her hands and caught another glimpse. A dark submarine with a blood-red skull symbol on it.

Suddenly the abnormally loud siren of the boat echoed again in the girl's ears and she felt a strong jolt. This scared her so much that she cried out as loud as she could. *: ・ ゚ ✧ *: ・ ゚ ✧ *: ・ ゚ ✧ *: ・ ゚