Ghosts and Other Things

You held Charlie's hand as soon as you got into in the back of the Uber. You needed to be closer, but with you both buckled in, the size of the backseat wasn't accommodating for snuggles. When you were initially getting into the car, you noticed Charlie had his luggage with him which meant he had it in tow the entire time.

"Did you try to go to the apartment? Before coming to me?"

Charlie chuckled. "I did."
You felt awful. "I'm sorry."
"There's no need to be sorry. I wish you could have been there. It was actually pretty funny. I kept trying to open the door wondering why the hell my key wouldn't work and then I remembered I didn't have the new set."

You could feel the warm rush of blood filling your cheeks as you blushed. "How'd you get that locksmith to let me in anyway? I was surprised he didn't ask for ID."

"Friend of a friend recommended the guy. He was pretty understanding of the whole situation."

"I only have my set with me. Your keys are at home on the coffee table."

Charlie said nothing, choosing only to rub the back of your hand with his thumb. You turned to see his face in the dark backseat. He was smiling--a little too much, in fact.

"What?"
"Nothing."
"Tell me."
He paused, huffing out a small chuckle.
"My keys are at home, huh?"
"Well, yeah. I didn't want to carry two sets around because I was worried I'd lose them. If I left them at home, we'd---"

You stopped. Charlie's eyes were filled with love for you. That's when you realized you had said it. Your keys are at home. There was something else, though. It was almost as if Charlie was waiting for you to correct yourself, but much to his surprise and your own, you never did.

_______________

"Mom's mad at you," Nina said, matter of fact.

"Why? What did I do now?" you joked, adjusting the volume of your earbuds as you coaxed a potato chip out of the bag.

"She's mad because she had to find out about your boyfriend through the grapevine."

"Nina, how many times have I asked you not to play telephone with Mom about my private life?"

She scoffed into your ear. "She asked me how you were. What was I supposed to say?"
You chortled. "Um, anything other than whatever it was that actually left your mouth," you said, eating another chip.

"What are you eating?" she asked, a little too invested.
"Chips. You called me while I was on lunch so now I'm eating and talking to you." You took a sip of your soda.

"What kind are they? They sound extra crunchy."
"Why? So you can tell Mom?"

"Can you not be a brat and just call her please?" said Nina, pleading with you.
"If I call her, she's going to want to meet Charlie," you said with a sigh.

Her voice softened. "And what's so wrong about that?"
"Charlie may not be ready to meet Mom," you said, mildly protesting. You could feel yourself growing more defensive by the minute. It wasn't intentional, but you weren't exactly putting up a fight with your own emotions either.
"He was ready to meet me."
"Debatable," you said, throwing your sandwich wrapper in the trash can beside your desk.
"Little Bit, are you ever going to let them meet anyone else? I mean, if I'm being honest, I was a little surprised you even told me you were dating someone."

"What do you mean?"
She sighed, "Charlie's not Alan. Alan was a total prick by comparison."
"Neen, please don't ever compare Charlie to Alan again. And you know good and well "total prick" doesn't even begin to cover it," you spat back.
"I know. I'm sorry," she said, backing down. "Look... I'm just saying Charlie seems like a really good guy. Although--Dad's going to give him the third degree about being divorced. You know every story has two sides...I wonder what his ex is like."