Jetlagged

Try as he might, the Valentine's Day Charlie had planned for you both didn't go so smoothly. The day after you spoke, Nicole called to say Henry needed an emergency appendectomy. He booked the next available flight to LA and told you on his way to the airport. Naturally, you understood, but that didn't stop him from being extremely apologetic. He offered for you to take the class without him, but you declined. It wouldn't have been the same and your kitchen was way too tiny for you to make a mess of it by yourself. He promised he'd find a way to make things up to you as soon as he was back in New York.

The days following were calm. You'd get the occasional update on Henry, but other than that radio silence. You hoped Charlie was okay, that Henry okay, and that he was surviving Nicole. All the time alone created the perfect opportunity for self reflection; you were forced to address your own thoughts. You and Charlie had your first fight because he thought it was abundantly clear the two of you were dating and you, clueless as ever, thought he was only interested in an "involved" friendship. You could still hear him playfully chiding you. "We called them 'our little dates'. How did you misinterpret that?"

You'd constantly exchange witty banter. You were learning everything about each other and had no problem flirting shamelessly, but for whatever reason, the idea of Charlie wanting to be with you was something you couldn't fathom. You partly blamed your last relationship for that lovely baggage set and put those feelings in the move along column.

Things were pretty crystal now. Charlie wanted to date you and was willing to do so on your terms. However, you could tell his patience was growing thin. You imagined the women on the dating apps he used in the past were more appealing. At least he could see their faces. You couldn't blame him. He was a 37 year old divorcé living in New York and he had gone and tied himself to a couple of texts, some phone calls, and a dream. You knew you owed it to him to bite the bullet, especially after what you had put him through. It was time to be courageous.

You checked your messages. There was nothing new to see, but the last ones from Charlie still made you laugh.

Charlie: Help. Me. I made a joke about how Henry should keep his appendix like a pet in a jar and now he really wants to keep it. Nicole's pissed.
Charlie: Did you laugh? Is this thing on?
Charlie: Dear god...this parachute is a knapsack. If I make it out of here alive, I'm taking you to dinner.

Poor Charlie.

He must have been in Los Angeles for a full week before he even remotely felt like he could leave. He wanted to stay even longer, but Nicole insisted she had everything under control. Currently, he was cruising at an altitude of 36,000 ft on his way back to you. Well, back to New York.

You checked the flight tracker. He was halfway home.

*DING*

A notification popped up at the top of your screen.

Charlie: Guess who has in-flight wifi? ;)

You couldn't hold back you smile.

Charlie: Strike up the band and make a reservation.

You decided to play coy.

You: Reservation?
Charlie: Oh, no you don't. We talked about this. I survive, we dine. That's how it works.
You: I never agreed to anything. 😜
Charlie: Just wait until I get back. You will.

Charlie was usually never this aggressive, but you'd be lying if you said you didn't like it.

You: How's the flight?
Charlie: A little cramped, but fine.
You: Aww poor thing. No leg room?
Charlie: What's that?