Stay

The inside of Charlie's apartment wasn't what you expected for a bachelor. It had a distinct style. Every piece appeared to be carefully selected. What's more is he actually had taste. The art on the walls were pieces by a tiny artist you had heard him wax nostalgic about on several occasions. You love how he celebrated his son's drawings. You supposed it only reinforced how much he missed him by seeing them every day.

When you had first stepped inside, Charlie toed off his shoes. "Force of habit, feel free to take yours off if you want." Eh, what the hell.  You were grateful you had gone for a pedicure with Jules while Charlie was in LA.

He had walked ahead of you to switch on a few different lamps within the room before crossing over to the console table to light a candle. He was staring right at you, offering the candle for you to smell if you wanted. "Henry bought this for me. He said it smells like chocolate teddy grahams. You mind?"

You met him halfway, leaning in to breathe in the candle's scent. The description he gave did not disappoint. It smelled like a combination of freshly baked graham crackers and chocolate. "It smells nice."

He placed a stick lighter into the candle, diligently lighting the wicks. "Not nearly as wonderful as you." He set the candle down again. "All night, I've been trying to figure it out what it is and I'm mystified."

You smiled.

"It's just soap."

His gaze narrowed. "Maybe. But it's soap...and you...and..."

"Maybe a little perfume?" you admitted.

"There it is. And your hair, my god..."

"So you've been, what? Staying close so you can breathe me in?

"Ensorcelled by your scent all evening is more like it."

"So don't stand so close."

"You say that like you think it's possible."

You came to stand even closer to him, craning your neck to meet his eyes as his hands came to rest along your sides.

"You smell pretty great yourself, you know."

He parted his lips and leaned down. He was close enough to kiss you, but didn't. The soft touch of his mouth against yours was enough to make your breath turn ragged.

"We should get more comfortable,"  he whispered against your lips. You could feel the interest stirring between your legs. You were practically throbbing with desire. The heat crept up into your cheeks turning them a deep shade of rose.

Your hands slid up his chest until you found the buttons of his shirt. You managed to unbutton the first two before you felt his hand come to close on top of yours, gently squeezing.

"...Not yet."

You whined in protest, earning a laugh from Charlie.

"There's plenty of time for that, I promise." He gingerly sprinkled kisses along your lips, nose, and forehead until he firmly planted a kiss atop the center of your head.

He led you over to the couch, encouraging you to sit.

"Coffee?"

"Charlie, I promise I'm not drunk. I'm not even buzzed anymore."

"I never thought you were. I just want us to take our time."

"In that case---coffee sounds great," you said with a smile.