If You're Willing, I Am Too.

It was such a good day. The hot barista at the small shop you frequented had told you "no charge" for your coffee order. You had managed to secure tickets to a concert you had been looking forward to and not once since New Year's Eve had you had even a single thought about Charlie. Well, at least not until right now.

As you were reading the confirmation email for your e-tickets, you had pondered what kind of music he was into and then quickly wiped those thoughts clean.

You were a successful, accomplished human living in New York who didn't need anyone to make her happy...but you still kind of wished he would text back.

You shook with anxiety, willing the feeling to go away. "Walk it off," you muttered to yourself. You could go pretend to be a tourist for the day. If the studio was open, you'd be more than happy to go into work, but alas— vacation.

Your phone buzzed in your pocket. You stopped dead in your tracks and took a deep breath.

From
Charlie - Attachment: 1 Image

Charlie: Have you ever been here before?

You almost didn't reply, but you couldn't help yourself.

You: Hello to you, too.

He was silent.

Charlie: I deserve that.
Charlie: I can explain?

You scoffed, annoyed yet amused as you typed your reply.

You: Let me guess...no service in the Bermuda Triangle?

Charlie: Although, again...well deserved, close. I had to fly to LA to take my son back to his mom. He was only with me through his Christmas break. He doesn't like flying alone. I should have said something.

You: You don't owe me any explanation.

You bit your lip. Was it the wrong thing to say? Too unfeeling? You wanted to throw him a bone.

You: How was your New Year's Eve?

Charlie: A little awkward, but nice. I spent it with my ex and her family. I meant to text.
You: You're under no obligation.

Maybe that was a bit harsh, but you had already hit send.

Charlie: If you'd like me to stop, I can. I apologize if I misread things.

Your fingers had never moved faster.

You: No! I just meant it was okay. I wondered if I would hear from you, but I'm not angry. I have no reason to be.