You'll Shoot Your Eye Out

The next morning, the sun greeted you bright and early as expected. Morning's call was made all the more intense due to the newly fallen snow on the ground outside your window. You picked up the phone to check the time, but it was dead. You had forgotten to plug it in after your chat.

You managed to get up and make your bed before digging around in your suitcase for a charger. As you did, you could smell it in the air. The warm aroma of coffee filled your nostrils. You desperately needed a cup, but made yourself shower first.

While you were busy lathering your body, there was a knock at the bathroom door. It was your dad.

"Sweet pea! Shake a leg," he called out. "Coffee's on, breakfast is served, and Santa came!"

You rinsed the bubbles from your hair. "Be right down, Dad!"

Your dad loved Christmas, so much that he almost got more excited about the holiday than you and your siblings. You made quick work of getting clean. You got out and toweled off before brushing your teeth and finding the outfit you had hung up the night before. After getting dressed, you tousled your hair dry and wrapped it in an old t-shirt before you walked over to check your phone. It was alive again and, much to your surprise, you had a text.

15 mins ago.

Text: Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, May Your Days Be Merry and Bright. Happy Merry Everything and all that :)

It was from him. You felt giddy and had no idea why. Charlie was Charlie, but you still didn't know anything about him. Before you have it any more thought, you replied.

You: All the same to you and yours. 🎄🎁😊

You hadn't saved his number in your phone last night because of how exhausted you were, but you decided to change that. As you saved his name and info into your contacts, your dad called again from downstairs. "Last call for coffee!" Shit. You really had taken your time. "Coming!"

You made your way downstairs to find everyone congregating in the kitchen. Your sister was fiddling on her iPad making a playlist and your brother was shoving combined bits of omelette and pancake into his mouth faster than your dad could churn them out. "Look who made it," said your mom with a smile as she moseyed over to you a hug. "Morning, honey. How'd you sleep?" "Not long, but well." You wiggled past your dad to get to the over to pour yourself a cup of gratitude. The Santa hat atop your Dad's head bounced around as he joyfully made another pancake. "Omelette or pancakes for the sweet pea?" Your brother, Alex stopped eating to take a breath. "The pancakes are really good," he said, his mouth full. "Pancakes please," you decided, taking a seat at the bar beside him.

Your sister, Nina, shuddered at the sight of the half chewed pancake in Alex's mouth. "Suddenly, I'm full." You let our a laugh. "Aww, don't be that way. It's Christmas," your father chuckled. "I can make the next one in the shape of a snowman!" Alex shoved his plate toward your dad. "Yes please!" Your dad grinned at his show of enthusiasm. "Well hang on now. Let me get to your sisters first, pal. You've already had seconds." As your family continued with their banter, your phone chimed again. You glanced quickly figuring it was the first of many texts from friends wishing you a happy day.

TEXT: OUR DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS SALE STARTS AT MIDNIGHT! DON'T MISS OUT ON THESE SAVINGS!

Your mom leaned on the bar next to you. "Someone special?" You sighed and set it face down beside your plate. "Just an ad." The hours passed and you must have opened dozens of gifts. Even though you were all older now, your parents still went above and beyond to make every Christmas as as special as it was when you were kids. They always wanted to make sure you three never wanted for anything. You made enough at your job to live comfortably in a modest studio, but it was still nice to receive a little cash in your stocking in addition to the many scarves and sweaters they bought for you.