LA Bear Bear

Sitting next to Charlie at your gate at JFK was a little surreal. You were really doing this together, something cemented even more in your mind and the physical by the feeling of his hand tightly encapsulating yours. You admired how prepared he was for the flight and enjoyed seeing the little idiosyncrasies that came along with it. For example: Charlie was determined to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to the flight because "things happen". He'd accounted for traffic in the cab, time spent in line at security, the walk to the gate, getting any last minute food, using the facilities, the potential for departure time being ahead of schedule, and anything else that could have possibly come up. 

Charlie was used to the ins and outs of this particular airport, having gotten more acquainted than he'd ever thought possible flying back and forth to LA for divorce proceedings and thereafter to visit Henry. He shook his wrist and glanced at his watch before standing up to stretch. "I'm gonna grab a coffee. Do you want anything?" 

You looked up at him and smiled. "That sounds great, actually. Whatever you want to get me is fine."  He nodded and leaned down to kiss you. "Be right back."  

The airport was quiet for the early hour. Outside of the large windows, you could see the sun just beginning to rise, the sky painted with soft shades of orange and pastel pinks. The weather in LA would be a nice 75 degrees when you landed and even though the butterflies in your stomach were fluttering about rather excessively, you were hopeful the flapping of their wings would prove to be more out of excitement than fear. 

While you were lost in thought, Charlie returned, coffees in hand along with a few other goodies. You took the small bags from him as he passed you your beverage. "I got your favorite,"  he said sitting down beside you and kissing your cheek. You brought the coffee to your mouth, grateful as the hot beverage passed over your lips. "Thank you, honey."

__________
For the most part, your flight to California went off without a hitch. You and Charlie had the entire row to yourselves, a product of your early flight no doubt. At one point, you dozed off only to be violently shaken awake by turbulence. Normally you wouldn't be afraid because you knew you had no reason to be, but with Charlie right there beside you--the stakes felt that much higher. The plane dropped a few feet at one point, taking your stomach with it, and without hesitation you latched onto him. He comforted you instantly, assuring you that everything was okay and he was right. No sooner than it started, the jet streams evened out, the turbulence disappeared, and it was an even-keeled ride the rest of the way to LA. 

Once you arrived, getting your baggage was uneventful. Much to your amusement, Charlie made sure you were by his side every step of the way. He'd stop every so often to make sure he wasn't walking too fast and that you hadn't gotten separated. You got the impression he was the same way with Henry, seeing how he too had short legs, which in turn meant hoofing it to keep up with Charlie's broad stride. The sentiment made you giggle as much as it made you feel loved. 

Waiting in line for the rental car took longer than either of you anticipated given the hour, but you didn't mind because you had each other. Charlie bent down, resting his head on your shoulder as he mumbled. "Are you as tired as I am?"  You tittered softly against his hair. "Poor baby. And I am a little, but it's nothing a little more coffee can't fix." 

He pressed a kiss to your neck. "When we get to my place, can we take a nap? Please?"  You could feel your brow knitting together. "Your place?"

He raised up. "Yeah, I still have an apartment here."  You could only imagine what your face looked like in that moment; you were in total disbelief.