Chapter 13

Chase walked through the front gate of his apartment complex. He felt as if he forgot something but couldn't put his paw on it. He patted his head all over hoping his hat would be there. "I'll get it later." He mumbled. He was too tired to go back to the station.
He typed in the incredibly easy password to the lock. 1234...
"Hi."
"Hi." Chase replied to the usual apartment owner. He sees him basically everyday. "If you see my hat can you let me know?" Chase asked
"Definitely sir. What does it look like?" He asked
"It's blue with a police star on it."
"Alright, I'll let you know if I see it"

Marshall tossed his kids around in a playful manner. They all kept coming at him with a ruthless mentality...In their head... in reality they were virtually harmless.
"HaHa! I have a shield!" One said holding a blue cap.
"Oh look chases hat." Everest said picking up. "It sucks this ain't the old one." Everest said
"Yeah it is. Look at the inside. He just changed the logo to the Barkingburg one police station and patched it up with new stitching. I doubt he did it himself." Marshall said
"You don't think he misses it? After all he is lonely. Even rubble started dating someone, I think he lives with her now." Everest said
"Yeah, rubble and that girl really hit it off fast. You wanna take it to him?" Marshall asked thinking of him and Everest when they first got together. It was a slow process.
"I was gonna ask you but sure I'll take it to him. Who's coming with me!" Everest said to the pups.
"Me!" One said.
"Let's go ash." Everest said tossing the hat on. "Are we gonna see a police officer?"
"Yeah, we are." Everest replied.

Chase got to his door and smelled the scent of another dog. He slowly pushed open the door open and saw a pit bull sitting down on a chair across the room.
He looked down the hall of his floor, left and right. He thought about asking the neighbors but they were all potheads. Unluckily he was with them on floor 1.
Chase didn't have much space since the bathroom was on his left and the living was where the pit bull was. Chase took a couple of steps forward.
"Ahh chase... I've been hearing a lot about you." Linus said causing chase to perk his ears and stop.
"Who's chase?" Chase asked.
"You are chase damnit. Don't play it smart with me." Linus said standing up.
Chase closed the door behind him. He was getting ready to fight off the intruder. "Leave or I'll send you to the police station in a body bag." Chase threatened.
"Ooh, scary" Linus laughed while pulling out a knife. Chases eyes widened. Situation went from good to horrible.
Linus ran towards chase and started slashing the air as chase dodged each swing. Every miss led to a new scratch on a wall. With each swing was anger being released.
Soon chase ran out of backing up space and hit a wall. Linus finally hit chase with a swing on his left back paw. Chase threw a punch in retaliation, to his surprise Linus caught it. Linus bit his paw causing chase to Yelp in pain before biting back on his paw.
They both let go in pain and switched sides. Chase was now in the direction of the living room.
"Why are you doing this?" Chase asked knowing he could possibly lose this. He didn't think it would be going this badly.
"I thought Sylvia was cool. I asked her out and she said no. I went to rubble and now I'm here. Once you're gone Sylvia will be free for picking." Linus said.
"You're really gonna kill me over my girlfriend?!?" Chase asked
"Basically..."
"Sorry but that's gonna be a hard no." Chase joked which might have fueled his opponents anger.
Linus ran at chase like a football player carrying him across the room. Chase realized they were heading towards the only window in the apartment. He braced for impact.
Chase landed on the ground on top of all the glass and grass.
"That's gonna leave a mark..." chase groaned.
"Chase?" Everest said putting her child behind her.
"I see you have another little friend. Maybe I'll kill the other guy after I'm done with you..." Linus said referring to Marshall.
Chase got up and walked away from the glass and got ready for a round 2 even though he was basically beat.
"Yeah... I'm calling the cops." Everest said running towards the front dragging ash as he tried to keep up.
"Okay, even though the a cop is right where I'm standing." Chase said slurring his words and running towards Linus this time.
Linus started swinging the knife in the same pattern from the first round.
Chase caught onto this and caught Linus' arm. Chase successfully de-armed him. Soon they started trading blows for a couple of seconds. Chase swept his feet from under him in a last ditch move for the knife.
He was tackled with the knife in his hand. He felt two heavy paws put pressure on his neck. He struggled to turn over. He tried to push him off but you couldn't find the strength too. So he stabbed Linus with the knife as best as he could.
Linus let go and pulled the knife out from his chest. Chase was in trouble. Linus socked chase before attempting the finishing blow with the knife to his chest.
Chase struggled to push the knife away from his chest. Every couple of seconds it inches closer as his strength drains.
He used his back legs to try and throw Linus off balance but that just made the process of dying faster.
Chase felt the sharp sting of a knife on his chest. He felt like yelling but there would be no point besides wasting his last breath.
Chase suddenly pushed the knife hitting Linus in the head before chase felt like his body was being shocked.
He shoved Linus off and saw Ryder, Everest and ash standing there. Ryder had a taser gun in his hand. He sat up.
"That was close!" Ryder said. "You were getting your ass handed to you." Ryder added causing them both to chuckle.
"Language." Everest said looking at her kid.
"Sorry." Ryder said
"Who was that?" Everest asked. "Did he want to kill Marshall too?" She asked
"I don't remember him saying that." Chase said remembering a knife. "I think he knew Sylvia. He mentioned her." Chase said with a huge sigh of relief.
Chase heard a familiar ringtone. He ran through the broken window.
"Hello!?! Sylvia?!" Chase asked
"Yeah, what's with the tone?" She asked through the phone.
"There was a pit bull looking for someone named me..." chase said blankly.
"Where is he now?" Sylvia asked
"He went night night." Chase said
"You killed him?!?" Sylvia silently asked so no one hears her
"No... but he almost killed me! I would have been dead if it wasn't for Ryder. Who was he?" Chase asked
"He's been helping me. He asked me out and I said you were my boyfriend. I didn't tell him where you lived." Sylvia defended.
Chase heard police sirens."alright. I have to go." Chase said hanging up the phone and thought of all the possibilities of what they could've done. "She wouldn't lie." Chase said trying to be optimistic.
He walked back outside and saw Ryder and Everest talking to some cops. "Hello officer." Chase said.
"You need to come with us for questioning...And him."
Chase agreed and went to the back seat.
"You are going into the truck. You need to get that cut patched up." He said
Chase nodded and hopped into the back of the truck. He looked at Ryder and Everest. "Good luck!" Everest yelled to him.
He nodded before the doors closed.

Sylvia went back and forth in her room.
"Calm down... chase is chase he'll get over Linus. We never did anything either. I just need to mind my business and gain someones trust."
"C'mon, Pakato is here." The Doberman said knocking on the wall as he walked by. Sylvia got up and followed him to see everyone in a group talking to a rather large dog with scary sharp teeth.
"I'm gonna be here for as long as I want. You guys can keep doing your businesses." He said.
Everyone nodded and walked back to what they were doing before. Sylvia could only worry about what was happening in adventure bay.

They all walked out of the car in front of the fire station.
"Ryder, are you gonna get involved with this whole bad guy thing? Like chase and Sylvia?" Everest asked.
"Yeah, I'll probably have to do it myself. I already have a simple yet effective plan. Chase will be helping me as well. For Sylvia I'm not sure. I do have 1 request from her." Ryder said.
"I see you are wearing chases hat." Ryder said to ash.
"Police are cooler than fire people." Ash exclaimed.
"Marshall won't like that." Everest said chuckling.
"Wanna knows what's better than both?" Ryder asked
"What."
"Medics and EMT's don't get the spotlight as much but after the police or firefighters are finished they are the ones helping people back to their normal self." Ryder said.
"Marshall is still iffy about the fire hose right?" Ryder added
"Yeah, I don't think he'll get over it." Everest sighed.
"Alright, I'm gonna get going, I gotta long day tomorrow." Ryder said walking to his car.
"Here." Ash said handing him chases hat.
"Thank you. I'll make sure it returns to him." Ryder smiled before getting in his car.
Now that his mind was clear he had one focus. That was to track down his old friend and stop him for good. By all means...