Chapter 19

| Daechwita |

With the darkness of the night concealing us, I walked to the plaza with Eunwoo and Taehyung following me closely. 

Lisa and JB were doubting about joining us or not so I left the invitation open for them if they change their minds. Groups of rebels like them are the ones I need on my side. If we all come together, we are stronger than the entire Royal Army.

We would have a chance.

A plan in order to take power over the palace was on the making in my head as I walked towards the fire. My rice hat was in place hiding the upper part of my face for safety as always. 

Many people wearing rice hats were running all over the place. Even if it's the middle of the night, we all use rice hats every time we go out of our houses out of pure habit. 

The flames are concentrated in one specific point and have been contained there... Min-Ki's statue is on fire. 

The bronze is melting down at this point making him be face-less for the time being. Where his "perfect features" used to be nothing is left other than the base to make a face. 

I watch how a man in his mid-30s throws water to the statue finally making the fire die down.

Daechwita can be heard louder every second as the king arrives. I guess he heard that his precious statue was set on fire because if it was only the tow, he would never bother to come here... he wouldn't care to start with.

Soon, I see the palanquin of the power-hungry person I once called brother. The window of the palanquin slowly opens giving me time to hide on the other side so he doesn't see me. Eunwoo and Taehyung stand on a side where they can see his face but they are sure the king won't bother to look.

I move around a little bit to be able to see his face; a move I regret for a split second because even if I exposed myself, I can see the wrath within him being contained by just showing a cold expression. The statue that used to be clearly him is almost about to fall to the floor shapeless.  

I remember when that statue was put up there. I was seventeen. SeokJin and I were playing with sticks as if they were swords before we heard daechwita being played from afar. The next thing we knew, the entire people in the market street were in the plaza witnessing how a statue of the tyrant was put up in the middle of the capital symbolizing that he was the heart of the country. 

I remember how it felt... I couldn't care less that he wanted the throne for himself; what hurt me was that my twin brother had betrayed me like that to the point of "killing me" himself. 
Surprisingly though, with my mother, I found myself happier than ever as all my worries were nothing compared with what I had to deal with. 

Selling handmade goods was not bad at all. Sure, we were not rich by far but we never worried about not having what to eat... I consider myself lucky. I would have never ever tried to usurp the throne if it wasn't for Min-Ki being a complete tyrant. 

He's no good, he's never been good. I wonder what made him like that.

I waited and waited for my older brother to say something... anything. But to my greatest disappointment, he just sat in his palanquin watching how his statue fell down to the ground shapeless with an expressionless face. Whatever he was thinking, was not good for sure but he has proven something tonight.

He has auto control... 

After what felt like an eternity, the tyrant made a weird hand gesture. Following that hand gesture, the palanquin turned around to go back to the palace but he never closed the little window.

I observed him from the shadows of the closest alley carefully concealing myself so if he feels my gaze, he won't be able to successfully know who is looking at him.

I know he knows I'm alive but I don't think he considered me as a threat... I can't be overconfident though, now I live right under his home in the tunnels.

Once he is definitely gone from my sight, I turn to look at Eunwoo and Taehyung. I move my head aside to indicate them to follow me. After receiving a nod, we all leave the plaza to go back to the entrance of the tunnel.

***

"Did you guys see something?" Namjoon asks me as soon as I go inside the tunnels.

The rebel camp has been set up close to the exit we found so if something goes wrong, we can get out of here easily.

Eunwoo, Taehyung, and I tell them everything that happened these last couple of hours. Namjoon listens closely to everything we say making sure to not miss any detail.

"That's great!" Namjoon finally says after I describe to him how Min-Ki's statue ended up. "He will be distracted with the rebels responsible for the damage rather than being so suspicious about every living creature around here."

I nod. "I have a plan to infiltrate us in the palace," I say confidently. Many heads come in my sight as everyone comes near me to hear the plan. I take a deep breath before I speak. "We need people to become royal guards." Many of them frowned confused.

"Wouldn't that be betrayal?!" Someone on the back asked just loud enough.

I chuckled. "We need double agents, that is the only way."

"But not all royal guards are with the kings..." Jungkook babbled.

I nodded. "I know a way of positioning our people close to Min-Ki."

Right as if timed, someone came into my sight. Everyone followed my gaze turning around. From the entrance we first used to be here, an old man capable of many things walked with his arms behind him and a calm expression showing.

"I manage who guards the King. He never pays attention to the guards around him." I smiled as Jaehwa and I look at each other. "There will be a schedule change at the start of a new month as always."

"The perfect timing..." Eunwoo said under his breath.

A new month starts in two weeks. That is enough time to get some rebels trained to become royal guards. After all, we have gone through, most of us have good physical condition so I'm not worried about them making it through the training or not, I know they will. 

I'm worried about their safety though, this is one of the most dangerous things we have done to this point but if I have calculated correctly, this would be our perfect opportunity to infiltrate the palace as smoothly as a snake.