Chapter 20

| Butchers |

I felt nervous as volunteers were already at the palace's grounds in training to become royal guards. 

It's been two long weeks that all of us have been working out to get in shape. I can't be infiltrated because the uniform would leave my scar to view but I can still infiltrate with a group of rebels on the outsides. many people outside the capital do not know what Min-Ki looks like, I could say I got the scar on a fight... which is true.

Jungkook, Eunwoo, Namjoon, Jingyoung, Jackson, and many others have successfully completed the training. Jaewha is going to assign them to the king in the next three days. 

Taehyung has remained with me as he knows everyone around, he will be better as a rebel than as a guard. Either way, he has been getting in shape with me. 

I tiredly sit down on the edge of the river. Taehyung sits right next to me smiling as always.

"I'm pretty sure Lisa and JB will join us soon," he says confidently.

I turn to look at him tilting my head. "What makes you so sure?"  

He turns to look at me. "The Royal Guard has only become more strict over the people. Whatever they see that seems off, all the people around are 'loosely' accused of being rebels. Even though they are not killed, the beatings they get are horrible." 

I look down with mixed feelings. Everything is going out of control but I'm sure all of this will be over soon.

"I have to talk with the butchers," I say loud enough for him to hear.

His eyes widen. "Why?! They kill people under the king's orders!" 

I shake my head. "Yeah, but they are just trying to protect their families from Min-Kin's fury. I would do the same if I was in their position." Teahyung's brows knitted together. "I have already talked to them once... before the real mess started."

Once I catch my breath, I stand up to leave while Taehyung goes back to the tunnel. I take my rice hat from the ground before I start to walk towards the city, I check if I have enough money as I walk. Travels into the capital are still permitted without any restrictions so I won't have any problem. 

After around twenty minutes, I arrive at the entrance of the capital. Everything has changed. The usual high levels of noise that surrounded the main street are not as loud anymore. Errant merchants are not as many and only half of the usual booths are open. 

Royal Guards all over the place making sure nothing suspicious happens. I walk to the butches normally. I have done this many times and people around him have seen me so no alarms raise. By now, all of them might know my mother is gone... for them, she disappeared days after I did. Either way, even if I see it in their eyes, no one stops me to talk in hopes to know what the heck happened to us. 

I stop in front of the butchers' booth. I look up to them so they get to recognize me from last time. Thankfully, do the remember our weird encounter as the scar over my face is not easy to forget.

I look around me just with my eyes to make sure no one is looking at us. 

"I would like to get fifteen pounds of beef..." I trail off as I hand them the money, making this seem normal.

They slowly nod their heads, already knowing I want something else. 

As they start to cut pieces of meat for me, I start to talk. "Are you guys willing to betray the King?" I say barely louder than a whisper. Because they were paying attention, they were able to grasp what I said.

The two men looked at each other before they faced me again. 

One of them spoke for the two of them. "We are, but we would not risk our families for a failed cause."

Just as I thought.

"There are rebels... everywhere," I said as I looked to one Royal Guard that happened to be a rebel. The Royal Guard smiled at me for a split second before he turned around, continuing as if nothing had happened.

The butches looked back and forth between us for about a minute as they couldn't believe what just happened.

"They are infiltrators..." one of them muttered for themselves.

I slightly nodded my head.

"I'm in."

"Me too."

After that, they gave me the meat I asked for. I left the market feeling at ease as I know had an important piece. 

I have a plan but is rather erratic... everything could go just as planned or terribly wrong. Either way, I am willing to take the risk.

I need to talk to Jin and Jaewha. With the butchers willing to on our side, we just have to move every piece just right.

I arrive at the tunnel by the river rather quickly as I was lost in my deep thoughts. I look at the outside world one last time before I go inside carrying the meat.

Taehyung helps me go inside once he sees me carrying a huge amount of meat.

Everyone's eyes go wide. 

"Where did you get the money for all that?" Taehyung asked with widened eyes.

I chuckled. "Jaewha gave it to me to buy a good amount of meat. Even if we are not as many anymore, we are still quite a lot of people down here." 

Taehyung chuckled. "Well, you came just in time. Lisa and JB have joined with their group... also, Jin sent a message saying that he will be here soon."

I just nod my head as I put together the plan I have thought about.