chapter 3

It was still dark when I woke up. My body was sore from having slept on the floor as I tried to get up but my hands gave out. The visions had sucked all the energy from my body as they always did, except this time, I had no-one who would bring me food and tuck me into bed. I breathed deeply, pushed myself up and held onto a table. Slowly, I stood up and grabbed the door. When my body finally stopped shaking from exhaustion and cold, I yanked the door open and stepped into the silent hallway.

Fire was crackling downstairs and I saw Cassian and Morrigan sleeping on the sofas. I scanned the place to see if someone was awake but thankfully I was alone. Remembering the way to the kitchen, I stopped before the door and pushed it slightly. Cassian stirred in his sleep but didn't wake up. I sighed and entered the kitchen to look for something to eat.

I was looking around the cabinets when a velvety voice travelled over my shoulder. "Looking for something?"

"Food. I'm hungry." I answered.

" Why didn't you try using a candle? It's much easier to see things that way." The spymaster of the night court suggested.

"The dark never bothered me, shadowsinger." I answered, matter-of-factly.

"You should have had dinner with us."
"I was busy." I reminded him. I also didn't want to bother you people when you were celebrating.

"I know. With your.....traditions. I can make something?" He frowned.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "Here I thought illyrians were only good in the battlefield."

"Well, you thought wrong. I can, in fact, cook a few things. You should sit somewhere, you look ready to collapse." He looked me up and down.

I considered this for a second and then walked over to the opposite side of the counter and hoisted myself up on a stool. I folded my arms and rested my chin on one of them. Azriel rummaged around for a while before coming over to where I was sitting with a pan and a few glass jars and bottles. I noticed this was the first time I had seen him dressed casually, not that I had known him for long. He was not wearing his leathers but rather a simple shirt that was ruffled. His hair were sticking out in different directions and his cheeks were tinted red. He ran a hand in his hair to adjust them but they remained in their initial state.

"Why are you up so late?" I asked him.

" Why are you up so late?" He shot back.

" I did sleep but then I has another vision and then I woke up." I shrugged.

He remained silent for a while, the only sound of him mixing something in the pan. "Was this vision about me?" He quietly asked.

"More or less. Not really, but I did see you."

"What was I doing?" He pulled out a spoon from a drawer.

" Nothing. You never do anything. You are always in the Reapersbrook with a serpent and I feel like I'm tied up and I need to stop something but I don't know what exactly." I explained.

"What is Reapersbrook?" He sprinkled salt on whatever he was making and left it to cook by itself.

" It's the crossroad between heaven and hell. That's where it's decided whether you will go to hell or heaven."

"Who decides that?" He sat besides me and I felt my own shadows move as if to make space for his.

" That, I don't know. Maybe god. Maybe the devil." I admitted and let his shadows become calm. I noticed his shadows were darker and more intense than mine.

" Oh." He bit his lower lip. "So I just stand with a serpent?"

"Most of the time, yes. Sometimes, when I yell, you turn around and stare at me." I nodded.

"Do I look good?" He smiled faintly.

I snorted. "Not when I'm terrified that you might be the key to hell."

He shook his head but didn't say anything for a while so I decided to look around.

"That look like Nyxin." I said before I could stop myself.

Azriel frowned at my words as I tried to think of excuses to not tell him that I was talking about his hands.
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. The Iedosy should have just sacrificed you.

" I- I promise I didn't mean to. I don't know why I said that. I'm just dumb and tired, I'm sorry." I put up my hands and tried to get up but failed.

"Said What? I don't even know what you are talking about."

"Your- um- your hands. And I know it's very rude, I don't know why I said that." I again apologized.

" It's alright. I'm used to people commenting on them." He shrugged as I wondered what kind of "comments" he was talking about. "What is Nyxin?" He asked, breaking my train of thoughts.

" Huh? Oh, that. Nyxin is the brightest constillation in the north. Witches worship it for safety and prosperity. Your scar-" I pointed at one of them near his right thumb. "- looks a lot like it."

" I didn't know there was a constillation like that in the north." He mumbled and traced his scar. A ghost of a smile appeared at his lips.

" It can only be seen if you know where to look."

He hummed a response and then glanced at the food. I wonder if he's thinking about leaving me hungry after I opened my god forsaken mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to make me an ingridient for his breakfast tomorrow.

He inspected the food for a while before bringing the spoon to his mouth and tasting it.

I sat with my mouth clamped shut while he pulled out a plate and a cup. He poured hot water from a kettle to make, what I assume is, tea. I just looked out of the window while he worked on the food. I already felt bad that he was cooking for me and then I went ahead and commented on his scars. Brilliant. Fucking brilliant. Maybe the Iedosy didn't want to sacrifice me for my power afterall.

"Here." He pushed a plate in front of me. The scent of butter and garlic made my mouth water. "Eat before you faint."

"This looks absolutely delicious." I picked up a spoon and twisted it between my finger. "And that-" I pointed the spoon at him. "- is a huge complement because nobody knows how to cook better than a witch."

"Is that because of your magic?" He poured some tea for me and then for himself before taking a seat.

"Yes, but also because cooking is one art that witches treasure the most. It's the same as brewing a potion or casting a spell- you need to balance things." I took my first bite and almost moaned.

"This is almost as good as the food I make." I smiled at him. Parts of his face were cloaked with darkness but at the same time, it felt like I could see him clearer under the light from a single candle.

"I just tried my best." He took a sip from his cup. "It is actually the best food I've made in a long time."

"So you are usually not so good at cooking?"

"Not that I cook much."

" Right." I nodded. "You have a lot of warrior things to do."

"Spy things." He corrected.

I let a few seconds pass before I spoke again. "It's...different to hear you talk so much. You never talk in my visions and I've never seen you talk so much to others too."

He swirled his tea for a while before answering. "It is different."

Then, as if deciding something, he stood up, "I'm going to sleep. You can go when you finish eating. We are leaving tomorrow." He announced.

My hand halted at his words, "Leaving? To where?"

"Your home." With this Azriel left me sitting alone in the kitchen with my food and a lot of questions.