Chapter 8

My body ached all over when I woke up again. It took me a while to turn on my back from being curled up in a ball. I didn't open my eyes until I was sure I would not end up crying out in pain or be blinded by light.

As usual, I was cocooned in my own shadows. I could hear and see nothing in the room except for my hands.

When I decided I had enough strength to pour myself a glass of water I allowed myself a look at my surroundings.

Everything was the same, except for one small thing.

A tall, muscular figure lingered in a corner.

"I told you to leave the room." I sighed and reached for the jug of water.

Azriel stepped out of the shadows. "I didn't want you to die."

"Don't worry about that." I chugged down the entire glass. "I won't die just yet. Even if I did Alcina would not let you get harmed."

"I wasn't talking about that." He stood near my bed, watching shadows slowly disappear from around me as I calmed down.

"What were you talking about then?" I put my feet on the cold floor and forced myself to get up.

He replied a second later. "I have my own selfish reasons."

Not wanting to be a part of his word game, I left him standing in the bedroom and entered the bathroom to wash my sweat-soaked face. A few wet strands stuck to my face as I looked at myself in the mirror.

My cheeks were fuller than they were a while back but my eyes still looked like a bottomless pit.

When I came back Azriel was near the door. "Your sister said that she would leave once she sees you."

I mumbled a few curses at her under my breath but followed him downstairs.

The living area was soaked in a orange glow in the evening. The only people in the house besides us were Morrigan and Alcina who were curled up on the couches as my sister droaned on and on about beautiful gardens and insects.

"You look like you've been to hell and back." Alcina remarked once she noticed me.

I rolled my eyes at her and slumped down besides her.

She grinned, pleased with herself, and turned towards me but before she could bring on her arsenal of terrible jokes, Morrigan spoke. "Are you alright now? Az told me you fainted."

"I was just having another vision. Sorry if I made anyone worried." I replied.

" Does that happen often?" She frowned.

"Very." My sister piped in.

I gave her an irritated look but she just smiled and shoved a grape in her mouth. Then, she proceeded to put one in mouth and I cringed at the sour taste.

"How do you deal with it?" Azriel tilted his head to one side. "What if you have a vision when you are alone or in danger?"

"The shadows know how to protect me." I leaned back. He knew about shadows well enough so he just nodded and returned to his silence.

"Look at this." Alcina poked me with her elbow and held up a paper. "What do think about this man?"

I didn't bother looking her way. "I don't think about men."

Morrigan snorted as my sister made a face. "I meant have you seen him before?" She chided.

I glanced over at what she was holding. It was picture of a man in purple clothes, with his face covered by a golden veil.