Chapter 9

"Sometimes, you just have to drink some water and sit outside like a wilted plant" - these were the words of my sister when she sent me back to my room after I insisted on helping her in the kitchen.

She had decided she was going to make something for lunch today. Although I knew all too well who exactly she was cooking for, I decided to let her do it.

When we still lived with our parents, I was always the cook. Alcina had always had a talent with drinks but meals were my job.

I thought I could make something for everyone to distract myself from the fear that was slowly eating away at my heart but when I came into the kitchen, Alcina was already there preparing something and she wouldn't listen to me.

"Go drink some sun water." She said.

So here I was, sitting near the window of my room, with a jar filled with water and a rose quartz, trying to drink some sun water.

Snow water would have made more sense. I thought, looking at all the snow outside.

But then again, snow water is for weak spells and no matter how good I was feeling now, I could always need more strength.

I kicked a shawl away when it got tangled in my feet and resumed staring at the water.

At this rate, I will drink this water after a week. The sun was barely peeking over the clouds today so there wasn't enough sunlight for me to make sun water.

"Stop grumbling about water." I rolled my eyes at the voice in my ears.

"Stop listening to me." I shot back at the nosy spymaster.

"I can't when you are cursing something every five minutes." His voice again caressed my ears as his shadows curled around in their beautifully carved cages.

"I wasn't the one who asked you to give me this gift." I retorted.

There was silence for a while, the shadows halted. Then, a muffled sound travelled over to me. A sharp screech followed it, like someone was dragging metal over metal.

I waited, too used to hearing hell to be bothered by the screams of those left to the mercy of the shadowsinger.

"I don't regret that." He returned. " I would have regretted not giving it to you."

I had no answer to that so I let the words dissolve between us.

"Why are you complaining about water?" He continued.

I sighed at the mention of my tideous task. "Alcina said I should drink sun water."

"What is that?" Azriel asked.

"Water charges with the energy of the sun. Except, there is no sun." I explained.

"What does it do?"

"Lots of things. It can heal almost anything, it can fasten strong spells." I gave a few examples.

"Does it taste good?" His amused voice traveled over the dark tendrils.

"It tastes like water. Which is good......I think?" I frowned at his question.

"Shame." He replied.

" Are you coming back for lunch?" I asked.

"If things keep going the way they are-" he paused, something cracked on the other side "- not till midnight. "

"Oh." I was surprised to hear disappointment in my voice.

"It's good."

"Why?" I raised my eyebrows.