Chapter 10

Never in her life could she have imagined that she would be getting married on her parents grave and yet, here she was, draped in black and gold, ready to be the devil's bride.

Lilith held her head high, refusing to crumble before the person whose lifeblood was others misery.

Only their face was familiar. The same golden skin and beautiful mouth, except these eyes were merciless and lethal. The mouth did not curve into a soft smile, instead, it had a grin that could cut through people's soul.

It was the face of the spymaster, but the soul of the afterlife.

It was Lucifer themselves.

And Lillith looked him right in those cruel eyes and refused to so much as waver.

Her fiercy eyes took one look at the person in front of her and knew that it wasn't the man who had sat by her and talked about stars. It wasn't the man who sometimes cooked almost as good as a witch or the man who gave her dark, enchanting presents. It wasn't the man whose hands were just as gentle as his voice.

It wasn't the man who had stood with her in the brights streets of Velaris and smiled at her.

It wasn't the kind and gentle, yet unforgiving shadowsinger.

"I was afraid-" Lucifer began.

"Good." Lillith cut him off.

The devil threw his head back and laughed. His laugh was like a shrad of glass, it seemed like even the trees winced.

"You wicked little thing." They grinned "Stubborn, aren't you?"

She stared at them blankly and they continued, "Now, imagine this- I'm in my home, patiently waiting for my lovely bride to return but she's too busy. Would you not be jealous?"

The devil stepped closer and took a stand of her hair between their fingers. "I thought it was time you came home. Who do you have left anyway?" They looked at the graves of her parents.

Lillith slammed the full force of her magic into them. Lucifer staggered back.

"I do not appreciate being touched without permission, especially, by people I clearly detest." She glared at them.

For a moment, their eyes went wild with rage but Lillith was too distracted to be afraid.

Her eyes fell upon a man, one of the many who had poisoned her sister and forced her to come here, and in a second, he was gone. Even without seeing him, she knew the infamous Lord of Bloodshed was behind it.

Her heart picked up pace- half from anticipation, half from fear.

Lucifer's voice broke her chain of thoughts, "We will see how far your stubbornness goes, once we are in my house." In an instance, they were close to her again. Barely a few inches separated them. "When you are in my realm." They growled.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw two more men disappear, except this time, she succeeded in making eye contact with the High Lord of Night Court himself.

"Tell me something, pet?" Lucifer lazily smiled. "Who do I look like to you?"

Their words chilled her to the bone. She stood there with her mouth sealed and her eyes boring into his gold ones, refusing to admit the truth.

They raised their eyebrows, "Ah, not someone you want to admit? That's quite alright. I have plenty of time to force it out of you and then, perhaps, we will hunt him together, won't we?"

She clenched her jaw. "Five hundred years of me being struck in your realm and you still don't know me." She smiled, amused that Lucifer thought anyone could force her to give out the name of the spymaster.