Chapter 4

I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night.
Memories plaughed my mind as I curled up on my bed finding comfort in my own shadows. The faces of my mother and father flashed before my eyes. Their smiles burned into my head with such intensity, I wanted to forget everything and sleep for months until everything was over.

The weight of being alone in a land I barely knew pressed upon me. I was surrounded by people who didn't know me and would turn against me at any moment. They had no reason to trust me. Faeries. People that I had only ever seen from afar, and now, I was living in the home of the most powerful fae to ever walk on the earth.

Under normal circumstances, I could hold my own against a few fae but now my magic was nothing but a whisper of what it used to be. Months of travel, hiding from the Iedosy, providing for myself, grief and the ancient borders were powerful enough to suck out my power. I was vulnerable but I had to convince these people to help me. There would be no Night Court to protect if the Iedosy won- I wanted to scream in their faces.

I was scared of going back to sleep after my visions. I had seen hell, this time it would be heaven. Demons, angels, demons, angels- The cycle continued.
Many would argue that the angels would be kind and beautiful to look at. I would laugh in their faces.

I was so lost in my thoughts I didn't notice that the sun has risen. The orange and red pooled into the room and filled it with a soft glow. My shadows allowed me to peek at them and I threw my blanket off.

Azriel had told me we were going to my house. Why? I decided to take a bath and change into new clothes. Feyre had given me some of her clothes since I had only the pair that I was wearing.

After I got out of the bath, I slid into my clothes. The sun was above the horizon now and I looked out of the window. Snow was settling on the branches of tress which were bend with the weight. A few people were in the streets but most of the city was still sleeping. I would have thought everyone in the house was sleeping too if I wasn't feeling a lot more awake and at peace after the warm bath.
I felt him before he knocked gently on the door.

"Good morning, spymaster." I opened the door and greeted him.

"Good morning, witch." He bobbed his head.

"Leaving, are we?" I raised my eyebrows, surveying his fighting leathers and his sword.

"Truthteller." He provided.

"The dagger that killed The King of Hybern." I replied, recognising it.

"You seem to know a lot about all of us." Now it was his turn to raise his eyebrows.

"Yes, well-" I closed the door behind me. "- I rather enjoy getting to know about places and people I might never meet."

We reached the base of the stairs and I saw cassian still asleep on one of the couches.

"Who is going with us?" I inquired.

"Cass would love to come but, unfortunately, he can't accompany us, as you might have seen." He tossed a glance at his friend who was softly snoring.

" So it is only us?" I asked.

Azriel nodded. I hummed and
looked back up where Rhysand had his eyes fixed on me. I gave him my best smile but as I expected, got nothing in return. His cold eyes moved from me to his brother in arms and back to me.

"Is it a illyrian thing to stare at people quietly?" I whispered.

"Not really. Most of the time it's my job." Azriel said.

" To stare?"

"....And a few other things." I could have sworn a his eyes sparkled. This was the Spymaster of the Night Court. One of the best illyrian warrior.