Chapter 5

I think we just stood there for a while, taking in the burned down houses and crumbling wells. I think someone gasped. I think it was me. But that didn't matter. What mattered was that I was back. I was in my little village, if one could call a collection of thirty houses that, and not there at the same time. I was standing on graves. Graves that were there because of me. Not a single house was standing, all of them were piles of ash and whatever little bit of iron was used in making them. People had died there. Families. Elders. Friends.

I sucked in a breath and clenched my fist. No tears. Azriel didn't move either, startled perhaps. He was expecting it to be a lie. He thought there would be people. If only.

" That's where I used to live." I pointed one shaky finger towards a dark patch of land.

I know he noticed my hand shaking but didn't comment, which I was grateful for. Without a word, he began walking towards where I had pointed. I followed suit. We stopped in front of the little gate of our front-garden, or what used to be our front garden. Now it was covered in ash and not a single flower was in sight.

"Do you want to-" I began but a voice cut me off.

" Lillith? Lillith! It's you!" I turned around only to see a small woman running towards me.

"Mrs. Severy." I caught her arm while she cupped my face and ran her hands in my hair.

"Oh, my darling. My poor little girl." She sobbed. "We were all very worried."
"I'm sorry, Mrs. Severy. I couldn't tell anyone where I was going." I wiped her tears. Seeing her like this broke my heart. I didn't want anyone crying because of me anymore. I didn't want to be the reason of anyone's pain anymore.

"I know, love. I know. Your parents..." She trailed.

I pursed my lips, refusing to let the tears escape. "How is Alcina?" I asked instead.

"She's great! Happy even!" She exclaimed. I forced a  smile for her.

She beamed back and pulled me along with her. "I know you can't stay. I must show you where your parents-" She mumbled. She stopped short when she saw Azriel follow, noticing him for the first time. "And who are you, young man? I have never seen you before." She narrowed her eyes.

With how silent he was, I wasn't surprised she hadn't seen him before he moved.

I answered for him, "This is a friend, Mrs. Severy. He is helping me through all this." I placed a hand on her shoulder.

She looked him up and down and he squirmed in his boots. "Hmm. You better not be lying to me." She pointed an accusing finger at me. "I will lock you up till hell freezes if I find out this boy is more than a friend." For all his strength and cold demeanour, Azriel turned fifty shades of red at her words, staring at Mrs. Severy wide-eyed.

I spared him the pain of making eye contact and engaged Mrs. Severy in another conversation. " You were showing me something?" I reminded her.

" Ah, yes!" She gasped. "Come, come!" She ushered me along. "You too, boy." She called Azriel. "Stop looking at her like that and put your long limbs to some use." Despite the things happening, I had to choke back a laugh as Azriel almost ran to catch up with her.

She took us down a little slope and soon we were deep into the forest again. Azriel helped Mrs. Severy down the uneven path and I followed behind, drinking in the view that I might never see again.

We stopped at a small clearing overflowing with tulips. Mum's favourite. There, in the middle of the flowers were two tombstones.

My legs moved mechanically and soon enough, I was standing near them.
Florence Amberflow- my mother's name was carved in beautiful cursive on the dark marble. I kneeled down and traced the letters carefully. Murdered- because of me. Both of them were murdered because of me. So many friends were murdered because of me. Tears blurred my vision and I bit back a sob.