chapter three

˚₊✩‧₊

FORTY-FIVE minutes passed until Crystal reached her street. The supermarket was quite far from her house; but it didn't matter — she'd do anything to go to the circus.

Plus, she could really use some human contact. The only human interactions she exchanged on a daily basis was with the lady at the movies, or the employee at the groceries store. She had finished school a long time ago, and she barely stayed in touch with her high school friends. Except for... Jackie.

Jackie and Crystal met in the first grade, and they had been inseparable ever since — they managed to overpass high school together, and would always have a blast at parties.

Until Jackie decided to pursue her dream of becoming a great actress, and moved to New York City, leaving Crystal in Missouri, all by herself.

They didn't ever lose touch, though — Crystal and Jackie would talk by video-call all the time to catch up on everything new that happened in their lives. Even though they were far away, they did their best to make the distance not feel like it.

Crystal recalled all the good and the not so good times with Jackie, especially the not so good ones — when she had a problem and she'd call Jackie, and she'd help Crystal fix it. Jackie always knew what to say.

Crystal didn't use Jackie to only help her with her issues, no; quite the opposite — they had a great friendship, they shared everything, and they never, ever lied to each other. And so, with all of that in mind, Crystal decided to facetime Jackie.

''Hey sis!'' Jackie exclaimed, in her usual cheerful tone.

''Hey, Jack. How are you?'' Crystal chuckled, pushing the key into her house door.

''I'm great, girl, but how are you? Long time, no see!'' Jackie said, leaning closer to the screen.

''Yup, you look way older than I remember...'' Crystal joked, and Jackie cursed her.

''Uhm, I've been great, actually. I'm going to a circus performance in two days, and I just returned from the store from buying the ticket.'' Crystal said, leaving her phone resting on a framed picture of her mom that Crystal kept on her nightstand, and sitting down on her bed.

''Oh, that's great! You must be missing your mom more than ever...'' Jackie said in a softer tone.

''Totally. I always do...'' Crystal said, looking down at her wrists, and zoning out.

''Anyways, on a happier note, there's a picture of a really pretty girl on the ticket.'' Crystal took the ticket out of her purse, and showed it to Jackie.

''That's a really pretty girl... And, what, you think you're going to meet, and marry each other?''

''No! At least not as soon as we meet...'' Crystal shyly said, and chuckled.

''Oh, Crystal, you're so...''

''Utopian?'' Crystal finished the sentence for her.

''I was going to say hopeful, but, yeah...''

''I guess you're right, though... What are the odds that the girl is gay, anyway?'' Crystal said, looking down again.

''Hey, hey, I didn't mean it like that... And it's very likely! Plus, you're so chirpy and refreshing... I bet you could turn her gay with just one stare.''

''Yeah, sure, Jackie.'' Crystal rolled her eyes, scoffing.

''Hey, I'm just saying! Who says I'm not giving you great advice for your next relationship!''

''Bye, Jackie.'' That was the last thing Crystal said before standing up to pick up the phone, and hanging up.

Even though, it was so far-fetched, Crystal couldn't help but wonder if Jackie could be right about that last thing.