chapter twenty seven

˚✩‧

CRYSTAL returned to the hospital the next day, just like she had done the day before; except this time, she was much nonchalant and serene than last time. There was no question in that Crystal Methyd wasn't the most unflappable person in the world, quite the contrary — any minor inconvenience that got in her way could quickly rock her world, and make it fall apart; however, in the time span of staying late at night in the hospital, driving home, sleeping and waking up the next day, and driving to the hospital, she had managed to ponder and reflect on the matter, and with the conclusion to which she had arrived, she was much calmer.

Crystal had concluded that everything was going to go just fine with Gigi — the redhead had acted swiftly in taking Gigi to the hospital from the first moment of the accident, and she had cared a great deal for her, by staying by her side in the hospital room overnight. Knowing all this, Crystal had finally managed to calm all her nerves; however, she kept praying to her mother to take care of Gigi, and keep her alive. And every time she did, a few tears always slid through her rosy cheeks.

✧˖*°࿐

''MRS. GOODE?'' Stacey, the nurse called, as she peeked through the door of the room.

''Your wife is here to see you.'' She continued, and turned around to walk away immediately after.

''My wife?'' Gigi said out loud, laughing, as she stretched her body, which laid on the bed.

''Hi Crystal...'' Gigi mischievously greeted Crystal before she even walked through the door, taking the redhead by surprise.

''My Gigi, you're alive!'' Crystal yelled, as soon as she perceived that Gigi was awake, and ran towards the bed to wrap her arms around the blonde's body in a friendly, tight hug.

''Of course, Cryssie! Why wouldn't I be?''

''I'm sorry, I just... got really worried. I didn't know what was going to happen with you, or honestly, how did we even get into this.''

''Frankly, I don't really know either — at one moment, I was talking to you, then it all went blurry for me, next I felt a sharp twinge in my back and heard a thunderous crash, and finally everything became a blackout. And the rest is history, I guess...'' Gigi explained, while she put a hand to her head and rubbed.

''It doesn't matter what happened, Geeg. What really matters here is that everything's fine, and we only have to wait for your diagnosis. And I'm here with and for you, no matter what.'' Crystal assured her friend, as she reached for her hand, which rested on the snow-white sheets, and squeezed it.

''I bet you will, Crystal, and I assure you I'll always be there for you too — that's what wives do.''

''Oh no, you know about it!'' Crystal awkwardly chuckled, as she covered her face with her hands.

''What was that even about?'' Gigi asked in between laughs.

''Hey, I had to think about something for them to let me stay here overnight!''

''You spent the night here with me?'' Gigi asked, surprised.

''Yeah, I stayed here until early morning, and then I drove home to sleep some more, and to pick up some things to bring you. Oh, speaking of! Here.'' Crystal said, as she placed two tote bags over the bed.

''Chocolate, a blanket, a bouquet of lavenders... Crystal, you didn't have to!'' Gigi said, tenderly, as she looked inside the bags.

''Just a small detail — I know you're not feeling at your best lately, and I was in hopes to cheer you up a little bit. And though I wouldn't do this for anyone... I don't know, you just mean a lot to me.'' Crystal explained to Gigi, looking at her in the eye.

''Crys, why do you care so much about me?'' Gigi seriously asked, making eye contact with the redhead. Crystal stuttered and hesitated for a bit before answering, as she played with the armrest of Gigi's bed.

''You're special to me, Gigi, because... I have nobody else — you know this. You're one of my closest friends, and I trust you a lot. So, when you fell... The worst things came to my mind, but I knew it would take me a very long time to get over it if, you know, I also lost you.'' Crystal began.

''And, of course, I know you also don't have anyone else. So, it's almost as if we kind of need each other, you know?'' Crystal finished explaining.

''Yeah, I get that. And it's true!''

''You know what, Crystal? Never, ever forget that I'll always have your back. Please, don't.'' Gigi said, as she held Crystal's warm hand.