chapter four

˚₊✩‧₊

GENEVIEVE Goode was special. She had always known she was — ever since she was little, she was convinced there was something about her that was better than everyone else. That would've sounded conceited to anyone else, but Gigi didn't care — she had worked way too hard on her confidence to care.

But that star power Gigi knew she had, wasn't seen by her parents. For them, it was quite the opposite, actually — they were convinced their daughter was an unavailing junkie, who was fanciful about becoming a renowned opulent performer. And maybe, just maybe, they were right about one thing.

And so, at 18 years old, Gigi realized that if no one wanted to believe in her, she'd have to believe in herself. And with that, she decided to move to California, where she thought she'd have a much better chance to pursue her wildest dreams, and, you know, be happy.

But for Gigi, it wasn't important what she had done to achieve her dream — sleep on the streets, do unspeakable things at vulgar jobs, wonder, late at night, if she was good enough — but that she did achieve her dream. That was all that mattered to her.

And now, she had proved her parents wrong — after years of effort, she finally managed to become what she had dreamt about being for so long, a renowned opulent performer. And it was all thanks to the circus.

Gigi worked at The Moonlight Circus as an aerial silks performer, and she liked to believe she was the best at her job. She had boys of all ages drool all over her from the very first time they saw her; little did they know — Gigi was completely out of their league.

Even though it had practically saved her skin, life at the circus sometimes seemed exhausting to Gigi — playing the tantalizing long-legged blonde wasn't as easy as it seemed. Especially in moments like these.

Kelly: Hey guys don't forget that you'll be doing a show in Springfield in two days

Kelly: You need to show up at the spot we assigned to meet at tomorrow at noon. The ride by bus will be of 28 hours so make sure you use that time to get some sleep! because as soon as we arrive, we'll rehearse until you drop dead

Kelly was Gigi's boss, and pretty much, her best friend — she was the one who offered Gigi the job when she was forlorn and shelterless. Even though Gigi knew Kelly's expectations of her were high, Gigi always made sure to make them even higher, and give Kelly something else to be proud of.

Just when Gigi was about to reply to Kelly's text message in the groupchat, someone else texted her.

Jan: Hey Gigi! Excited for the show?

Gigi: Uh not really... I'm exhausted from the last one but I guess I'll have to be excited

Jan: I'm super tired too but unlike me, you don't have to perform if you don't want to

Jan: You know Kelly gives you a pass every once in a while since you're one of her best girls

Gigi: Yeah I know but I just don't want to disappoint her

Jan: Oh honey I know you could never

Gigi: Well at least we've got each other to make this a little better !!!

Jan: You're right, I can't wait for tomorrow to see you <3

Jan was Gigi's co-worker, and also one her best friends at the circus. Actually, one of her only friends at the circus — all the other performers would treat her like shit just because she was successful in what she did. And, quite honestly, they had a valid reason to be jealous — she had gotten a great reputation among her peers in such a short time. Most of them took Gigi as a threat of losing their jobs. And they should.