Chapter Eight: DeeDee

DeeDee was not one to mince her words. When she was angry, she'd say so, if she were hurt, she'd show it. If, like this morning, she was in a petulant and short-tempered mood, she would give her dorm mates fair warning.
     'If my effing notebook won't effing, fit in my god damn rucksack I am going to effing scream!' she moaned.
Evangeline's musical laugh met her complaints as she flung said notebook across the bedroom.
     'Batten down the hatches, DeeDee has PMS.' Evangeline chuckled.
     'Shut your face.' DeeDee retorted.
Evangeline scooped up the notebook, only to put it back on the desk instead of into DeeDee's waiting hand.
     'FYI, it's Wednesday now sweet pea, we have Rit class first, then our weekly trip to Divinus Falls.'
DeeDee groaned, flopping back onto the bed. She really hated how badly she retained day-to-day routine. She flopped, dramatically, onto her bed.
     'That's it, I'm going back to bed and trying again tomorrow!' she decided.
     'Get your butt up, grouch.' Evangeline chided.
Quick movement preceded Evangeline chucking DeeDee her robes and a towel. DeeDee groaned but rose from the bed, kicking off her current shoe choice and shoving her feet into her hiking trainers.

She stomped through the door Evangeline held open and marched towards the entrance to their home. Zeru and Brianna were waiting for them on the couch, but DeeDee held up her hand before either could speak.
    'Bad night's sleep, slow brain functions. No talking!' she informed them. Evangeline smiled at her, the sparkle in her eyes knowing. See, fair warning is always given.

As the four of them reached First Hall for breakfast, DeeDee had relented a little and joined the morning's conversation.
     'Tien actually forgot to prep for a class? This is progress.' DeeDee offered and the other three laughed, even Brianna.
     'Orion is gonna be so mad at missing full English breakfast day.' Evangeline added, taking a wolfish bite of her Cumberland.
     'It's partly his fault, Tien stayed up late a few days ago helping with his History thesis.' Zeru grinned.
Evangeline groaned, glancing at DeeDee.
     'Let's not discuss that thesis for a while; my brain is still part mush from all the textbooks I had to devour writing it.' Evangeline sighed.

DeeDee patted her hand in agreement. They had spent more time than she cared to remember in the library going over this exact topic. Granted, Evangeline hadn't grown up being told the ancient stories. DeeDee did, however, enjoy in a slightly twisted way, Evangeline's love and then despair at the depth of knowledge she needed to sink into, to progress in this new world she belonged within.

Moreover, with nearly three thousand years of their History to learn, not to mention the intricate connections between their truth and the wider world's beliefs, Evangeline knew she had a lot to absorb. DeeDee was happy to help, especially as it breathed new life into their history.

The essay itself had been looking at the origins of their civilization. DeeDee was learning to appreciate the culture she was born into through Evangeline, who was for the most part, coming to this rich history fresh faced with 'new kid' like wonderment. She even marvelled at the intricate playnes that made up Heh-el.
     'It still sends me into an information meltdown knowing Norse gods and Greek gods and ArcAngyali and all those ancient religions are part of life. Alive and real, I just--' Evangeline petered out and DeeDee grinned at her friend.
     'Just wait until we start covering the more recent history.'
     'Like the 80s?' Evangeline joked.
DeeDee rolled her eyes at Zeru and Brianna. Evangeline was obsessed with 80s music and especially rat pack movies.
     'Like the middle ages and early fifteenth and fourteenth centuries.' DeeDee clarified.
Evangeline groaned again throwing up her arms in defeat.
     'This is like a real degree, with added hiking and magic classes thrown in. I feel like Harry Potter.'
     'You're way to un-cool to be Harry Potter. Neville Longbottom maybe?' DeeDee teased.
     'Hey now, he turned out to be quite the hottie at the end of it all.' Zeru pointed out, waving his spoon threateningly at the pair of them.