Chapter Twenty Two: Evangeline

As Evangeline forced her feet to take her out of her dorm, away from her un-slept in bed, and towards breakfast, she took comfort in the fact her sleep deprived body was snug and relaxed.
     She sighed as she glanced at her watch; her time in the medic bay had taken longer than she'd hoped. The bandage on her forehead had almost come off as she'd pulled the hoodie on, but she wasn't willing to put anything restrictive on, as her body was so tired and sore.
     She made it halfway towards First Hall before she realised what she and DeeDee were headed towards and why she wasn't going to be returning to classes with everyone else today. Turning on her heel with a big groan, she dashed back to the dorm and slipped a more formal outfit on cursing as her tight muscles protested.
     Her hand ran over the window pane of their room and she took a deep breath. She was only just learning about this place; Evangeline's emotions were conflicted. She was not ready to leave, there was so much more still to discover.
     The previous night replayed in her mind. She raised a hand and tugging the padded plaster off and brushed her fingertips over the gash on her hairline. Evangeline had bled to protect this academy and its inhabitants, she stood by her actions.
     Yes, she'd been terrified at points, who wouldn't? But in a way she felt more ready for the challenges ahead now, what with her first taste of the mortality and the fear and dangers this life would bring.
     Resolve gripped her thoughts, pushing out the anxiety and nodding at the more respectful attire. She threw back her shoulders and marched herself back to the location of her and DeeDee's formal hearing.
     'So,' DeeDee called out as Evangeline reached the marble staircase, 'on a scale from one to screwed, where do you think we rank?' DeeDee asked, reaching Evangeline and falling into step beside her own.
     Unlike Evangeline, DeeDee hadn't allowed herself to miss American pancakes day as a welcome back treat, but just the whiff of food made Evangeline's stomach clench a little despite her resolve. The sound of Angelus candidates talking animatedly at breakfast washed over Evangeline and she sighed.
     'Totally screwed, with a capital S. And possibly all the other letters as well.' she replied. The pair of them linked arms, and made their way to the Sanctum of Angyali, both girls' hearts heavy.
     'Is our game plan still to say we stand by our actions?' DeeDee murmured as two of their tutors waited for them outside the double doors. Evangeline nodded slightly as the pair got chivvied into the most sacred chamber in the keep.

 *

     'Summoning is like any other activity. It drains us. Like a muscle, it requires training and energy. So yes, I chose to sneak out, learn to fight because, if my back is to the wall, when I have no more mental strength to protect myself with our mystic gifts, I want to be capable enough to pick up any nearby weapon and defend myself.' Evangeline argued.
     Between her and DeeDee, the hearing had quickly passed through the we-don't-regret-our-actions into the realm of whys and how-could-theys.
     'We are not saying all the Angyali candidates have to learn, but please, allow all those that want more options to gain them.' DeeDee clarified as the ageing faces in front of them went from astounded to disbelieving.
     'Back there, in the mortal 'normal' world, women learn to protect themselves all the time. This world is full of greater dangers, yet you do not see it as a benefit to have every facet of protection available to us?' Evangeline explained.
She risked her future, brought her challenging gaze to Angelus Marguerite's.
     'I've read up on the Angyali history. We did have Warrior Angyali once. Malik, Michael and Uriel to name a few.'
     'They are ArcAngyali and are of different vocations to us. They came into being from the very fabric of Elysium itself.' Marguerite countered.
     Her gaze met Evangeline's, warning her with a look of the territory she had taken them to, 'where we are born, required to prove our ability as an Angelus; ArcAngyali came into creation by the Primordial, The Creator himself.'
     Evangeline straightened her spine. She was aware of the Primordial and his infinite wonders, and powers. A few days ago, she was still too unsure how to accept the fact such deities existed to consider her next point.
     However, now she had experienced a glimpse of what the Primordial's brother could do; all he could accomplish made her brave, defiant.
     'Yet they have descendants. Those with a fraction of ArcAngyali power and might coursing through their blood, that's what you are awaiting right? Some 'Legacy' candidates--'
DeeDee sucked in a breath, her hand briefly gripping Evangeline's fingers. She held tight to Evangeline's hand while a moment of whispers echoed around the room.
     The sanctum was an oval one. High windows, draped with plum red curtains that had been drawn over, but billowed a little from the wind so fractals of sunlight cut lines of light across the room. Evangeline and DeeDee stood in the Sanctum's centre, bathed in sunlight coming through the ceiling, the glass. A Greek sun pattern above the white dais they stood upon. It was lower in the floor and surrounded by white pillars, linked by arches which were engraved with history, symbols and memories in a soft gold.
     Evangeline counted the pillars now. They circled around her and DeeDee. Their tutors sat between each one, veiled by the shadows that clung behind each pillar and had been banished away from the illuminated centre pulpit where she stood.
     Evangeline was not foolish enough to think, these great women would now just tell her whatever the 'Legacy' prophecy was, or who and what it entailed but she knew one thing, they needed to start trusting the new candidates. Starting now.
     'I do not want or need to know the prophecies or fears you keep.' Evangeline paused and considered her next point, 'if I have learned anything so far from all this, is that answers come at a price. Nevertheless, if you want whatever it is you foretell to come to pass, then we are where your hope is placed. So let us train, in all that we deem necessary to join this war.' Evangeline concluded.
     Her speech, as powerful and persuasive as she herself could be, ended. With nothing further to add, she kept her head high and her eyes clear. DeeDee took up the same strong position and the pair waited.
     Angyali Annabel and Marguerite seemed to be the only ones in debate; the rest of the jury seemed to be keeping their counsel.
     After what felt like an eternity of held breath, Marguerite came closer. The frail woman stepped into the light and it bathed her; falling over her slight frame like a waterfall, sparkling and glowing through every fibre of the silvery white fabric she wore.
     'Your argument is concise and heartfelt. We shall speak with the Masters at Warriod and see what they make of your plea. Although sneaking out of the academy isn't very Angelus like, and the both of you will receive punishment accordingly for doing so,' she paused then put a grandmotherly hand on each girls shoulder, 'it does though, show an initiative and tenacity. I like those qualities in Angyali candidates.'
     Evangeline and DeeDee swapped surprised glances before smiling at their Head Angelus.
     'Can we uhh... so, can we go back to classes now then?' DeeDee asked hopefully.
     'Tomorrow, you'll both need some sleep first I'd imagine.' said the elder. Her grey eyebrows rose up a little on her wrinkled forehead. Evangeline laughed softly. The two of them bowed their heads to all their tutors and moved to the entranceway.
     'One other thing Evangeline,' Angelus Annabel called out from her place between two north-facing pillars.
     'Yes Angelus?'
     'I would be correct in assuming the kiss between yourself and that warrior was one of gratitude and given as part of your gratitude duty.'
     The tutor locked Evangeline down with an uncompromising stare, that if Evangeline hadn't seen the shadow of humour flicker across it before Annabel turned from her, she would have been quite fearful.
     'Of course, Angelus Annabel, I would never kiss a man for any reason but duty.' Evangeline quipped.
     She and DeeDee held in their laughter just long enough for the Sanctum of Angyali's doors to close behind them.

   *

She was stuck. Evangeline had reached the crossroad all people who haven't been to bed come to; admitting to utter exhaustion or embracing sleep-deprived euphoria.
     As Evangeline made the motions of teeth brushing, she couldn't help but feel lucky. Orion and Zeru had returned from their own hearing, and whilst all four were in the dark on what their punishments would entail, the group had been forgiven for disobeying orders. In light of their valiant efforts protecting the other candidates from harm.
     'You've already brushed your teeth...' DeeDee mumbled at her side, 'twice in fact.' she added with a touch more jest.
     'Well good, now they're doubly clean.' Evangeline replied.
She sighed, her eyes felt like gravel had lodged inside, and the grit was attacking her pupils each time she blinked.
     'You kissed Heca huh?' DeeDee enquired into the silence.
     Both of them clambered into their beds, comfort and safety making them instantly drowsy. Evangeline rolled her eyes at her friend as a warm blush ran over her face.
     'I thanked him for putting his ass on the line to protect me.' Evangeline informed her.
     She smiled as the cool pillow caught her heavy head. The cool side of a pillow was definitely the best part of any bedtime. Evangeline snuggled down and her mind went very drowsy.
     'Uhuh, sure.' DeeDee mocked.
     'I figured that was the kind of thank you a warrior and a guy would best understand and appreciate.' she joked.
     DeeDee laughed, making an agreeing noise. Evangeline exhaled and felt content for the first time in a long time. Perhaps she would find a place for herself in this realm, this sphere of the world. It was becoming a part of her and she was learning fast.
     As she rolled over and her body relaxed into that half-awake, soon to slip into sleep, feeling, Evangeline knew one more thing. Her inconspicuous mention of her newly acquired grandfather, had made damn sure the Angelus tutors knew this group of candidates had some powerful bloodlines. Moreover, it was time for more honesty.

~