Chapter One: Evangeline

Evangeline tasted blood. She registered the raw sting of torn flesh. Her body ached; the rough feel of tarmac grated against her back. A sensation of some thick liquid, trickling wet and warm, ran down from her forehead. Blurred vision compounded on her mind until she was completely lost from reality. The ugly roar of fire and groaning metal filled her ears. The car she had borrowed from her uncle was now a disfigured twist of metal beams and sheets.

Her hearing, muted from the violence of the explosion, rang and hummed in pain. Evangeline had no idea how or why her car just exploded. As she struggled to sit up, her head spinning and blood still trickling from her skull, she tried to make sense of the chaos. The flames persisted, flickering almost merrily amongst the car debris.

Dimly aware that no one seemed to be coming to her aid, she struggled to her feet. Evangeline blinked moronically at the remains of the car inferno; a sea of angry red and orange in front of her eyes. A numbing pain in her hip bloomed up her left side. She gazed in horror at the wreckage; shock and adrenaline rocketing through her system as she lurched away. The flames waved after her departure.

*

Evangeline staggered into the kitchen. Neglecting to turn on the lights, she embraced the dark cool pressing around her. She found a tea towel in the darkness and soaked it, gripping hard onto the sink. With a sharp intake of breath, she pressed the sodden towel against her skull and sighed, the pain ebbing. Her vision stayed fuzzy.

Uncle Luther was going to have a major blowout about this, she suspected. She didn't foresee her absent uncle taking "my car blew up" very well. Who would take this well! She heard his car and let go of the sink. With unsteady feet, Evangeline headed to the door. Her shock had simmered and feeling her chest constrict, Evangeline felt logic zip question after question through her mind. Throwing out a hand for support, she gripped the doorframe and struggled for breath. What the hell? Her car blew up! She blinked to clear her mind.

Then the doorbell went. The sound seemed foreign and out of place among her chaotic thoughts. Evangeline shoved the thoughts aside, drew herself up and pressing the cool cloth back onto her head, she pitched to the door.    'Good evening, may we have a moment of your time?'The female at the door confused Evangeline. The imposing frame of her uncle, she was not. The woman exuded a very guarded persona, her smile efficient, yet distant. Due to what Evangeline began to fear was a concussion; she just stammered.    'Uhm...'Evangeline noticed a man stood slightly behind the woman and in her muddled mind defence barriers struggled to the surface.    'We're here to speak with a Miss Rivas?' she continued.Evangeline's curiosity stirred. They knew her name. Had they come about the explosion? Oh god, she'd been in an explosion. What the hell was going on?    'That'd be me... Who are you?' Evangeline asked softly.    'Your uncle told us you would be in, but if this is a bad time?' offered the male.

Evangeline shifted her gaze to him. He was built much like her uncle, broad shoulders, and coiled muscles under his suit. He was looking at her with a glint in his eyes that told Evangeline he was making an accurate guess that this was not a good time. Evangeline waved her hand in a way of an apology.
    'You'll have to forgive me... Rough evening.' she muttered.
She let the two people on the doorstep inside as she did so she poked at the graze on her elbow and hissed at the tingling. Evangeline led them into the living room, shuffling to the sofa and sank down onto the waiting comfort. She tried not to sigh aloud.

Her two guests walked with a very graceful air, both settling into the opposite sofa with mirroring precision and elegance. Evangeline put the cloth down and blinked to clear her mind. She tried to shake herself so she could focus. Pain zipped through her and she ceased the movement at once.    'You said my uncle sent you? Is he alright?' she asked. Looking from the woman to the man, Evangeline could not help but be fascinated by the beauty of them.'Sorry, but are you two twins?'