Chapter Eleven: Evangeline

Evangeline walked through the grand oak doors; her eyes wide in awe. The doors themselves like her Academy's. They were thick beams and ornate, with carvings of the ancient deities and warriors their heightened DNA descended from, etched into the wood. She and the handful of other newlings entered Warriod, but whilst her classmates all kept their gaze to themselves, Evangeline did no such thing.
     She wanted to see it all and completely take in her first visit to the other academy. The Warriod keep was larger than Angelus and in the courtyard, clusters of warriors and demi gods practised combat in the crisp autumn sun. Evangeline paused, stopping to take in the magnificent water fountain in the centre of the courtyard. Dramatically different from the statue in Angelus.
     Formed of two men and a woman; stood back to back, with the woman in the centre. Each male held individual swords which crossed the other ones, held by the other male by their sides. Their eyes carved to look upward, the female's hands crossed over her chest, a water orb was nestled there, merrily bubbling out water.
     Evangeline glanced at one of the stone males. Wonder passed over her face, despite being made of stone, his passion seemed to break through, she felt oddly compelled by his intensity, reaching out she made to brush her fingers over the stone.
     'Why is it someone always has to touch?' asked a voice from behind her.
Evangeline turned in shock and found herself face to face with three candidates, all with similar grins on their faces. Clearly the first angelus candidate they'd met; the three took her in with interest.
     The one in the centre caught her eye, his bare chest demanded her attention, a bead of sweat rolled down his tight muscles and she could not help but watch its journey. She admired the lithe strength coiled in each slab of muscle in his torso, withdrawing her hand she stepped away from the fountain a little.
     'What can I say, I needed the rush...' she offered as explanation, shrugging her shoulders.One of the boys laughed, clapping the one in the middle on the shoulder.
     'She's got you there Heca.'
He grinned at her, which she returned. Then glancing around, she realised her fellow classmates had disappeared. She groaned and made to leave, but the boy called Heca stepped into her path.
     'So, why have a group of the angelic princesses graced our academy? Don't trust us Warriod lot to prepare the Celestial alone?'
Evangeline blinked. Was he being sarcastic? Or trying to seem nonchalant about their presence?
     'Excuse me? Did you just call us princesses? And not the good kind of princesses.' Evangeline countered.
     Her body bristled with mild irritation as his two friends flanked him, both clearly interested in their spar of words.
     'You saying you're not? Why do you study in the other valley then? If the Demi Gods descendants can handle being with us mere Warrior descendants, why is it that you girls have to hide away in the next valley?'
     'I bet the oestrogen levels are unbearable.' chipped in the third boy.
Evangeline locked eyes with him for a moment; he was the spitting image of a Greek god; the blonde tousled hair, glinting periwinkle eyes and warm tan even in the late autumn. Evangeline felt a strange pull towards him; absurdly it felt as if maybe he should protect her or at least be on her side.
     She shook off those sudden, crazy, random emotions and pulled herself up to her full height and gathered her response.
     'Not that it's any of your business, but yes, we are here to help organise the Celestial plans, and we are the mystic element, the Celestial is bound with necromancy obviously we'd come and help...' she stressed the word "help" and arched her eyebrows at Heca. 'As to why we don't live here. What would be the point of cramping up a place, where all you do is wave strips of blunt metal around?'
     'It's much harder than it looks sweetheart.'Evangeline raised both eyebrows high this time and pointed at an unfortunate male near them who tried to lift a wide sword and tumbled backwards onto the floor. Evangeline shot the three boys a look.
     'Just because I might become an Angelus does not mean I'm 'sweet'. Our wings come with sharp edges.' she flirted, risking a saucy grin in their direction.
     'Wait!'The one that looked like a Greek god pushed past Heca and peered at her face. She flushed a little at the scrutiny but didn't move.
     'You're bikini girl!' he exclaimed and the warrior called Heca gasped looking intently over her body.'Adonis you might be right!... Evangeline, wasn't it?' Heca guessed.
Evangeline flamed. She had forgotten that incident. A voice called her name and thankfully ended their conversation.
     'Rivas! What are you doing here newbie?' Evangeline turned and exclaimed in a girly excitement.
     'Walker! I hoped I'd get to see you.'
She rushed up to him, jumping into his arms for a hug before he could complain about decorum. She squeezed so he had to embrace her in return. For some reason, the three boys she had been talking or, more accurately, arguing with followed.
     'Master Delacruz, what did you think of the footwork today?' asked the boy who hadn't seen Evangeline scantily clad.
He shot her a look and she grinned at him for his subtle conversation change. Evangeline looked between the males and giggled, stretching up to pat Walker on the head.
     'Master Delacruz? I can't picture you as a respected teacher.' Evangeline commented as Walker softly bumped her cheek with his knuckles.
     'Oi, I have a lot to teach these clowns.' Walker conspired to Evangeline.She laughed at the face he pulled.
     'Do'ya know where the newlings went? For the meeting?' she asked.
Her voice almost managed to not show her annoyance with the word "newling" although she did roll her eyes as she said it.
     'You're late, you know... newling.' Walker teased, pointing into their First Hall.
     'Nah just going for a memorable entrance, you know me.'Evangeline grinned and waved them off as she entered the main hallway, she overheard their final words about her and she couldn't help but grin.
     'Master... you know your little buddy made fun of our roles within the three.'
Evangeline glanced over her shoulder; shaking her head. At Angelus if she had said Intra Terci in English, she would've been scolded. Clearly, Latin was not a required class here. One area of which, Evangeline was envious.
     'My sister and I brought her in, Proteus. You, Heca and Adonis could probably learn something from her, feisty one... a bit like me.' Walker smiled.
     He motioned his three students to take up stances against him, and unsheathed his weapons. Evangeline watched him teach for a moment, he was truly a Master worthy of the name. The three boys focused completely on what he was doing and saying, mirroring his movements exactly.
     The four of them were a fluid movement of metal and skill. Evangeline felt awe rise up in her chest, she watched as the one called Heca focused in on a tricky combination of parries Walker was showing him. His face seemed locked down and the fire in his eyes was incredible.
     Evangeline might be new to this world, but that boy would be a deadly asset to the cause. Part of her subconscious woke up and pointed out that she would be safe if he protected her. As his emerald gaze glittered with adrenaline, Evangeline flushed. She turned on her heel, embarrassed by the tumble her stomach was doing, and the heat that flamed over her cheekbones.
     She hurried towards the classroom Walker had waved a hand towards and slipped inside just ahead of Angelus Annabel who gave her a stern look. She settled down next to Brianna and listened as their Angelus tutor explained to the Warriod students what the week ahead would include.
     Evangeline zoned out quickly but glancing about the room, saw Morgana sat near the back windows. The girls grinned at each other. Angelus Annabel and Angelus Isabel finished their explanations, Evangeline weaved her way towards Morgana and they subtly greeted each other, as another Master entered the room and motioned for the groups of students to follow him.