Chapter Twelve: DeeDee

DeeDee knew something was wrong the moment Evangeline walked in. DeeDee was slouched in the beanbag; kicking Zeru's ass in poker, when her roommate came hurtling into the dorm. DeeDee swapped a look with Zeru before struggling out of her chair and headed to the bedroom she shared with Evangeline; one of Angelus Academy's most unique candidates.
     She shut the door on the lively chatter in the communal area, then DeeDee paused. She cocked her head to the side and observed her roommate.
     'Let me guess; you're freaking out because yes this is really happening and you don't know if you believe you have the power to brand some warrior?' DeeDee offered.
Evangeline jumped dropping the uniform of Angyali she'd been pulling off and spun around.
     'God, DeeDee I didn't notice you come in.'
     'Clearly.' DeeDee muttered, grabbing the robes off the floor and hanging it up next to her own. 'So, you wigging out?'
     'No...' Evangeline retorted unconvincingly.
DeeDee rolled her eyes and flopped onto her bed watching Evangeline fidget as she pulled on pyjamas. After a few moments, she looked at DeeDee. DeeDee lifted an eyebrow and huffing, Evangeline sunk down next to her.
     'Fine, I am freaking out... just a little bit.'
     'What? Really? Shocker!' DeeDee joked, sitting up and patting Evangeline on the shoulder. Evangeline grabbed a pillow and clocked DeeDee in the face. 'Oi! I was kidding!'
     'I know, that just made me feel better.'
     'Haha.' DeeDee retaliated and Evangeline squeaked, 'look Evangeline, the first test for us is a big deal. That's just a fact, but you are going to do great.' DeeDee caught Evangeline in a hard stare. 'You are one of the best students in Rit class and rituals are more complex than summons.'
Evangeline gave her a sceptical look.     'Really?!'
     'They are! And honestly, this is more of a summons, rather than a full-blown ritual, it's based on your instincts and you've got great instincts.'
     'I suppose, but it's a summons, ritual, whatever... that needs real belief in what I am. I just don't know if I still fully believe that I possess a soul worthy of an Angelus.' Evangeline admitted.
     'I get that. All this is new for you and it's a lot to absorb,' DeeDee paused and pulled Evangeline into a hug, surprising them both. 'The warriors are putting all their faith in us, just let go of that logical part of your mind that's telling you this is absurd and open yourself up to the emotions of the moment. If it helps, I believe you're going to be an Angelus.' DeeDee confessed, 'sadly.' she smiled.Evangeline choked on her surprise and hit DeeDee again with the pillow,
     'And I thought we were having a moment!'
     'We were, I hugged you, didn't I?' DeeDee laughed, pushing Evangeline off her bed. 'Come on, Orion wants help with his opening ceremony speech.'
DeeDee gave Evangeline a consolatory shove as they emerged from their room, meeting Brianna as she headed for the living room.
     'All ready for tomorrow Brianna?'
     'Yes, I think so.' Brianna replied.
She was finally talking to their faces every time she spoke, not towards the floor but DeeDee was still only able to manage her shyness in small doses before it annoyed her. Then said something she would later regret.
     'Want me to do your hair, I'm doing Evangeline's and Tien's... if I can bear it.' DeeDee offered, raising her voice so Tien heard her jibe.
     'If I trust you to do a good job you mean.' Tien replied.
The girl didn't even glance up from the book she was reading. DeeDee stuck out her tongue anyway and returned to her conversation with Brianna.
     'Well?' she asked.
     'If it's not too much trouble?' Brianna said softly.
     'I wouldn't have offered if it was.' DeeDee responded with a smile.
She linked her arm through Evangeline's, who gave her a stop-being-abrupt-with-delicate-Brianna look.
     'Oh okay, then thanks.'
Brianna gave a tiny smile then continued to the kitchen and switched on the kettle.
     'You shouldn't be so starkly upfront with her.' Evangeline scolded under her breath.
     'It's called tough love, and Brianna needs someone to help nudge her into a regular octave, not the soft baby bird waver she uses now.' DeeDee retorted just as quietly.
     Evangeline sighed, rolling her eyes towards Tien who, in her typical sixth sense way raised a shoulder in answer, still not taking her eyes from her book. Zeru as always was non-committal, but he gave DeeDee a small nod of agreement as the three of them settled onto the sofa.
     Orion, who DeeDee had seen spend the last two hours scribbling into a notepad only to intermittently rip the pages out, scrunch them up and toss them angrily aside, rose from his seat. With a nervous glance at the three of them, he shuffled the papers into his hands and cleared his throat. After all this work, the speech was not going to disappoint DeeDee felt certain of this fact.
     'Okay Orion dazzle us.' DeeDee grinned and the other two cheered at her words.