Chapter Twenty Eight: Heca

Heca lent against his knees and inhaled deeply. Sweat rolled over his bare chest as he and Adonis took a break from attacking each other in their combat class. All over the courtyard, students were paired up and working on their attacks, footwork and combat skills.
     Master Delacruz was nearby adjusting stances and instructing some of the pairs on fluidity when it came to double blade combat. Adonis thumped Heca on the shoulder and he returned to the spar he was involved in.
     'Apparently the Angyali have managed to persuade Headmaster Thantos to let them train here once a week,' he told Heca as they squared off again.
     Heca gave a tight nod, not wanting his face to show the gut clenching interest the news gave him. He didn't want to admit to Adonis that he was rather excited to know, once a week he would, without fail, get to see a certain Angelus in training.
     Heca reached for a double bladed battle axe as Adonis took up a medieval spike flail. Adonis's mouth twitched and Heca readied himself for the blow. In quick succession, they crashed their weapons together whilst moving with agility across the courtyard. As he lunged in close to disengage Adonis, Heca noticed over his opponent's shoulder a group of students entering through the great gates.
     His eyes locked onto one girl in particular and with his concentration lost, Adonis slid a foot behind Heca's ankle and tripped him. He hung the spiked flail by Heca's throat.
     'Give?' he asked, knowing how Heca hated to admit defeat.
     'Give.' Heca replied sourly, he shouldn't have lost focus like that.
Adonis held out a hand and helped his friend up and Heca rested his axe against the wooden table that had an assortment of practice weapons on it. He wiped his forehead, remembering he'd rolled down the tight uniform to his hips, the arms tied loosely around his midriff.
     As the group of girls and their teacher approached, he tried to subtly ease his uniform on, grabbing his towel, to pat off excess sweat. He glanced at the girls again and met the unabashed gaze of Evangeline. She rose an eyebrow in a suggestive but questioning manner and Heca felt his mouth go dry. Damn her.
     He turned and marched to where Master Delacruz and his class had collected. He joined Cay, Gabe, and a handful of other students from the Unarmed Combat class as Adonis leaned back against one of the pillars. They all watched surprisingly quiet, as the two teachers spoke in hushed tones.
     It was another historic moment he was playing witness too, and with a glance at Zeru and Orion he couldn't help but question; what more was going to surprise him during his time here. Their teachers spoke in quiet mutters for a long moment, and Heca was mildly interested to see, but mostly shocked that after a moment or two, all Angelus students were beginning to glance around in growing interest.
     Before long he couldn't resist another look at the angelus candidate who kept cropping up, unprompted, in his mind. She had clearly been expecting his gaze to return to her, as the moment he looked to her she met his eyes and gave him a cheeky wave. She kept her hand low, in line with her hips, as though trying to be subtle.
     The wave was cute but Heca caught on to the placement of it. It drew his attention towards her body and he didn't shy away from giving her a good once over. It was deliberately slow so her cheeks flushed, despite the challenging look in her eyes.
     'Well if Fridays weren't the best day of the week already...' Adonis muttered in his ear.
Heca laughed under his breath and nodded. As their teacher returned to stand in front of them, the group of females shuffled a touch closer. Master Delacruz, waved a hand so his students moved in also.
     'Starting today, these Angyali candidates will be training within our walls once a week. Show them the respect and trust we Warriod students pride ourselves on, the girls--' an irritated cough made their Master pause and a low rumble of laughter briefly followed, '--sorry, young women have elected to learn more about the combat needed in our world. It is a brave step, lets help make this transition a successful one.'
     Heca grinned, watching as Evangeline's body seemed to fill with excitement, determination. She and DeeDee led the rest of the dozen or so candidates as they followed Delacruz to the north corner of the courtyard. There waited a box of wooden, practice weapons and a waiting Pell, fresh and free of chunks missing.
     'Seems a shame to let the newbie's mess up Stuart.' Gabe joked.
The group of friends, gathered, watching with interest as their Master clearly explained the exercise. Most of the other Warriod students had gone back to training but along with Adonis, Heca and Gabe, some watched the process playing out before them.
     'Gabe, you gotta stop naming the Pells... they're just training tools.' Heca berated, rolling his eyes at Adonis over Gabe's peculiar running joke.
     'I don't like calling it a Pell. I need to fight an opponent, so I name them, that way, I don't feel silly hacking away at a block of wood.'
     His explanation made sense and Heca shrugged in defeat and understanding at Gabe as Delacruz stepped back. He let the girls handle the wooden versions of all the weaponry Warriod had to offer. Then each Angelus candidate was called in front of the Weapons Master.
     Heca had spoken with Evangeline just that morning. Gabe, Adonis and Blair had trained her and DeeDee with basic weapons during their time sneaking out to the clearing. But watching Evangeline now, Heca assessed her as a potential warrior.
     'A quarterstaff was a good call Gabe, but with some training she might just become deadly with a glaive.' Heca decided aloud.
     The other three laughed, nudging him with their shoulders and muttering teasing statements as they dropped back into some training but Heca was zoned in now. His need for excellence in the warrior he wanted to be and see in others focusing his thoughts. He watched as her body language and energy manifested in movement. Her natural state of being in the thick of things and her confident nature would make her a trial and error fighter, where she would keep alternating styles until she exceeded in, at least a few of them. He felt an unusual jolt in his chest as he watched her smile at Delacruz and step aside, her body quietly running over the moves just practiced while she waited for the rest to be assessed.
     Zeru and Orion were already at a different Pell, practicing the sword work they'd begun learning earlier in the week. Adonis had already moved towards DeeDee, his walk eager. Heca smiled, then returned to his own training, grabbing wooden falchion blades and engaging Gabe and another warrior close by.
     He wanted to work with Evangeline, but her stubborn streak would mean they'd butt heads in this kind of situation. She had also, warned him not to distract himself from his own training. Cheeky minx.

                                                               *

The dusk came upon them quickly. Most of the Angyali candidates seemed glad the first training session was over, a few rubbing bruised limbs. Most also looked conflicted, unsure if they were doing the right thing as an Angelus candidate.
     Finally, Heca couldn't stay away from her any longer. Very aware of his body he marched over, and caught the end of the conversation going on between Evangeline and the others.
     '--yeah, so we'll go tomorrow... see you.' Evangeline was saying, hugging around the cluster in front of her.
     As Heca ran the curl of his index finger up her side briefly, as her dorm mates moved away to follow their tutor out the main gates, she turned his way, a warm smile already tugging at her lips.
     'Converting to Demi God training?' he asked in a teasing voice.
Her body had shivered a fraction from his touch on her side, and as he pulled his hand back, her eyes fluttered to it for a second.
     'They should be so lucky,' she teased back.
Her hair was curling a little; the sheen of sweat on her brow, told Heca she'd really put her all into the session. Her face was flushed and she released her wooden practice weapons a tad unhappily.
     'Harsh. So?' he asked.
     'Dinner with my uncle,' she clarified.
She bent down and placed a few more weapons into the chest by her feet. Heca enjoyed seeing her from this angle, the black pants she wore were just the right amount of snug, and her almost heart shaped behind drew his gaze like the west drew the sunset.
     He shook his head, what was he thinking? As much as he wanted to touch, explore every part of this girl, he shouldn't ogle her like some foolish teenager. Heca was among the handful of older aged students at Warriod. At twenty two, he had been in the small net of students who had been just too young for the previous class of Warriod candidates, and therefore older than most of the other candidates in this intake.
     He had two older brothers and a sister; their parents had always instilled in their children a strong sense of place. Heca knew he had been born to fight the Horde uprisings, to follow generations of his family in the singular goal of eradicating the scum sent by Satan and his followers. His one and only destiny, to join the battle that had begun so long ago, that humans now referred to the time period as ancient history.
     His thoughts clouded, only recently had he started to question how he had been raised. And the cause of his new thinking was bent over in front of him. She shot him a look over her shoulder as she continued to fill the chest.
     'You gonna help me? Or keep checking out my ass?' she teased.
Then she poked her tongue out at him, her gaze warm as she watched him.
     Oh, to lean over and take that wicked tongue in his mouth.
Heca coughed at his vivid thought and dropped his hand to pick up a couple of sai blades, left near his feet.
     'So dinner huh? Very familyesque.' he commented.
She nodded but didn't offer any more words so together, they tidied the courtyard. As they worked, he continued trying not to let his gaze flick back to her. But Evangeline was a temptation he just couldn't say no to, even his gaze ignored his brain.Their hands collided as they both reached for the lid of the final chest. Fingers overlapped, and as Heca was about to pull away, unsure if his touch was still okay, she traced his skin with her thumb. Her gaze was locked on their hands, now stroking and tracing each other.
     'Yeah, it's, I...'
She looked up and Heca felt a jolt of understanding hit him. Evangeline had clearly never felt this kind of attraction before. The naivety was there in the flush of her cheeks, the glint in those gorgeous eyes, which now he could see close, held flecks of gold. And her uncertainty was there in the way she lightly and nervously bit in her lower lip almost as if the action was unconscious.
     'It's good that you've got more of a family now.' he murmured.
He had been able to tell from their conversations that family and safety were important to Evangeline. She nodded, glancing again at their entwined hands.
     'Evangeline.'
The stern voice behind them, had Heca lunging back like a kid getting caught stealing cookies. Evangeline had started too, her body whipping round to the voice.
     'You'd better go...' Heca managed to mutter between the two of them.
     Not taking his eyes off Master Rivas, Heca shifted his weight, aware his Masters' intense look was warning Heca to behave, not that they'd been doing anything wrong, but such a revered Master was to be given every respect. Evangeline recovered and her infectious laugh filled the courtyard. Heca resisted laughing too, as the Master's face did not look amused.
     'I'm coming uncle, stop giving the warrior death stares.'
Death stares?! Heca gulped. As good a Warrior as he was becoming, he didn't quite fancy his chances against one of the greatest fighters of the last fifty years. Evangeline smiled, passing Heca and giving his arm a squeeze before leaving him alone with the remaining weapons to clear away. Master Rivas gave him one more assessing look, before following his niece inside.
     'You'll have more luck asking one of the Horde for an autograph.'
Master Delacruz's voice cut through the silence like a fog horn. Heca swivelled, irritated now that his instincts hadn't registered that he and Evangeline hadn't been alone during their conversation. The Master walked up to him and clapped him on the shoulder.
     'Don't put too much hope in getting his acceptance anytime soon.' Delacruz said merrily.
     His trained eyes sparked warning. Heca straightened to his full height and squared his shoulders; great Master or not, Delacruz was stepping over the line giving him Evangeline related tips.
     'I didn't realise I had been looking for his acceptance.' Heca rebuffed.
The irritation and stubbornness running up his spine made him speak before his brain had time to engage. Master Delacruz fixed him with a look; a look which communicated so much at once that Heca didn't know what element of it to focus on. In a swift motion Delacruz drew back, his strong frame moving towards the side entrance and the gym area.
     'Instead of flirting, I suggest you get these chests cleared away before you miss dinner, Warrior. I'm sure your friend can help.'
     Adonis, appeared beside Heca, a touch out of breath. Heca had seen him follow the Angyali when they departed and Heca could make a very educated guess that he had been lapping up a few extra minutes with DeeDee. The Master nodded curtly and strode away from the pair.
     Heca shot his friend a what-a-fucking-joke face as they began shifting the chests into a storage cupboard in the right hand corridor that ran under stone cover around the courtyard. Heca let out an exhale and chuckle in one, the Angyali candidates had been here one session and already changes rippled through their ranks. Heca ran his hand through his hair. Always walk the one destiny... Just how altered could his world become?

                                                            *

It was impossible to sleep; the air was so warm. Three bodies and a heater left the rooms' air humid, and clingy.
     'Damn it.' Heca whispered.
He silently got up, turned off the mini heater that clearly wasn't needed anymore and pattered into the living area, intent on getting a glass of cold refreshing water. He glanced out of the right window, the side that looked out into the courtyard, only to double take.
     An Angelus candidate was stood, outlined in a glowing white light from her uniform cloak in the courtyard below, twirling and lunging as she practised footwork with a cleaving quarterstaff. Heca grabbed a green hoodie and trackies from their spot, flung over the sofa and slipped out of his dorm.He crept down staircases and picked his way through the shadowy corridors to sneak out into the courtyard. As he slipped out a side panel door, he paused. Would he ever find a way to resist her siren call?
     She wasn't even aware of him yet and he was already drawn in, hungry for her company. His skin flushed heat and he had to let out a nervous breath before stepping into the outside air.
     Heca took a few moments to judge where she was going wrong then, he rolled his shoulders and arming himself with a pair of medieval scythes moved towards her. With a cough to announce himself, he watched as she spun round the quarterstaff coming up defensively.
     'Heca, you scared me!' she said indignantly, lowering the weapon.
Heca smirked a little, he moved fast, hooking the wooden weapon he held, around her waist and jolted her forward so she was in his personal space, forced to arch her head back to keep her gaze on his.
     'Rule one Princess, don't lower your guard until the opponent is neutralised.' he informed her.
     'Yes Sensei,' she nodded, her gaze glinting with mischief, 'but did you just call me Princess? And not the good kind of Princess?' she goaded.
     He was instantly transported back to their first meeting, the first spar of words, and challenge of spirits that he just got off on. Heca released her from his scythe's hold. Her weapon came up and her features locked down, concentrating as he judged his next move.
     'Rule two...'

                                                             *

Heca was impressed, with just an hour or so of one to one tutoring, Evangeline was progressing quickly. He knocked her legs from under her and she fell, but with deft speed spun on her back and twisted away from his next attack.
     Her foot shot out and connected with his side, he stumbled and she swung the quarterstaff at an angle that knocked the scythe from his hand. He took a second to grin, she wasn't afraid to be rough and aggressive. She refused to go easy on him.
     Heca shifted, knowing now why they couldn't always train like this together. He was turned on as hell. Evangeline was unique, her passion seemed to Heca unrivalled, and he was more attracted to her than he could remember being to anyone in his life.
     He snapped back into their spar, rose up and swung an arc with his other scythe sending her reeling backwards. She tripped on the edge of the fountain base and for a second tried to catch her balance. He dropped his scythe and diving forward, he grabbed her hand, pulling her towards him and away from the water.
     Impressed he had saved her from falling into the pool, he didn't try to balance himself. Caught in the momentum of jerking forwards, Evangeline's body bumped into his and they fell back, landing on the stone. Heca landed hard, with Evangeline pressed on top of him, her entire body resting on his. For several utterly silent seconds, Heca did not register just how intimately they were embraced. Then, as she rose her head, he watched her hair fall around his face, curtaining him. He locked eyes with her as she giggled, his heart hammered as he focused on her mouth, so temptingly close to his own.
     'That could have gotten very wet.' Evangeline grinned.
She hovered above his face, her hands either side of his head, holding herself up. Heca made an odd grunting groan noise of agreement, but found himself unable to control his hands any longer.
     They reached up and one curled into her hair cupping the back of her head and pulling her mouth down onto his, capturing her in a deep illicit kiss. His other wrapped around her waist, ensuring her body remained pressed against his own. Inside, some carnal part of him roared out, instinct and longing cheering at the kiss he hadn't truly known he'd so unreservedly wanted to give her.
     He heard her let out a muffled squeak of shock, but as he teased her lips apart, she relaxed into him and her mouth opened, allowing him to sweep his tongue inside. She kissed him with as much excitement as he kissed her. Her tongue met his and then dipped inside for a taste of him. He let her before biting down on her full lower lip and taking the kiss into his control again.
     Finally, the two of them were letting their attraction manifest into a deep kiss that felt timeless, as her body gently pushed against his. His hand was buried in her silk hair, keeping her firmly within his embrace. She bit down on his lip cheekily as they broke apart for a moment, her eyes sparkled as he looked up into them.
     'We shouldn't be doing this...' she whispered against his lips, not pulling away. He pressed his lips against hers again running his mouth down her neck to nip her collarbone.
     'Then get off me...'
     'You don't want me to... or you'd release my waist,' she murmured; her sigh of pleasure a sweet sound by his ear.
     She bit down on his lobe and traced the curve of his ear with her tongue and he moaned. Pressing his mouth against the crux of her neck, he eased his hand from her hair.
     Evangeline pressed her hands against his chest, let them linger for a moment, before then shoving his chest, she stood. Her bright eyes full of heat. He scrambled up and touched her face. She allowed him to caress her cheek.
     'Heca...' she murmured and he almost shivered at how good his name sounded from her mouth.
     'I know... Angyali can't engage in physical relationships until they gain their wings.' he said softly, letting his fingertips linger on her skin for a moment more.
     As he stepped back, she opened her eyes with new resolve filling them. Her quarterstaff came down on him so fast he nearly missed catching it in a block. Heca smiled. What a woman.

                                                              ~