Chapter Thirty Eight: Evangeline

Evangeline yelped. The sound filled the empty dorm, echoing into every corner.
     'What've you done now?!' DeeDee hollered from the doorway.
     'Stubbed my damn toe.'
Evangeline grumbled hopping up and down, attempting to squeeze away the pain in afore mentioned body part. As she placed her foot back on the ground, Evangeline paused, twirling a lock of raven tresses around her finger. She enjoyed the silky sensation of her hair slipping through her fingers, she let her eyes glaze over as she looked out the window.
     Faces, memories filled her thoughts. The hope of what was to come also occupied her mind. How strange it was to find a home in an academy? Even stranger to then find a family in that new otherworldly home. Evangeline wrapped her arms around herself and took in the room one last time, a content smile refusing to hide away any longer. She shut the door to her and DeeDee's room, meeting the impatient gaze of said roommate.
     'Are you ever on time, like for anything?!' she asked.
Evangeline chuckled, flinging her arms around her friend and bundling her out the door, stumbling whilst in their tangle.
     'That's rich coming from you.' Evangeline reminded DeeDee.
The girl laughed and in a comfortable link of arms they strolled towards First Hall.
     'So, you are coming to me in the first two weeks of August?' DeeDee asked.
Her neurotic need to know the exact plan came through in each word. Evangeline laughed; they had finalised such a plan a week ago.
     'I promised didn't I? My uncle and I have to stay at Warriod for a week or so, then he wants to take me to Greece for a while; to see some of our family history and old homes. After that I am running straight to you for cocktails and dancing.'
     DeeDee nodded along to each word. Winding past the milling of students waiting outside the hall, together they moved through the growing throng until Evangeline spotted Brianna's flames.
     In the far corner there was an overload of luggage and outside in the courtyard Evangeline saw the buses waiting to ferry the candidates; first to Warriod, to pick up their cohort, and then to the airport and train lines in the city several hours south of them.
     Evangeline felt the loss much greater this time. At Christmas she was still finding her feet, learning to embrace the world she'd stumbled into, and the friends she had been making.
     Now, as Tien, Zeru and Orion joined their little circle, waiting with everyone else for their final assembly she felt her throat tighten and the word goodbye faltered on her tongue.
     'The tutors need to hurry up, if I miss my flight... oh boy!' Tien growled, letting out a few curse words in Japanese. 'I refuse to sit in airports any longer than I must.'
     'Your flight isn't for another seven hours, you'll be fine.' Orion said.
As a glint of humour filled his eyes, he patted Tien on the head in the way someone pats a frantic dog. Evangeline shot him a sly grin as Tien swore some more in her own language and tried to swipe at him. She was not one for such cheek.
     'I'm jealous, I'm headed back to mediocre West Sussex. I'd gladly take your place.' Zeru teased, joining in the head patting, 'at least you and Orion are heading to exotic places.'
     'I'd hardly call Tennessee exotic.' Orion countered.
     'Or Tokyo.' Tien chimed in.
The pair seemed to be offering these statements to the group so their agreement sounds would stop but only did the opposite. Evangeline, DeeDee, Brianna and Zeru swapped looks that screamed unappreciative-buggers-how-travelled-can-they-be? Before as a unit, biffing the pair with their many hands. Evangeline laughed, her eyes watering at the ease and closeness the six of them had.
     As the doors to their First Hall opened and the students chivvied in, she sighed. It was a rare thing, that she was already imagining the day; several months from now, when the five people beside her were back, in their little dorm.
     When they would be arguing over popcorn, and movies, all fighting for the best seat for their game nights. She smiled. Her thoughts spread further to the Warriod students, both ones she held close, and the ones she barely knew.
     Were they excited to continue on? Did they look back at that night and although see the pain and loss, see the potential still waiting for them to grasp.
     'Good day, students of Angelus. Please be seated, I am grateful for this last assembly to speak with you all. Before a summer of fun and frivolity commences.' Angelus Marguerite's face was oddly soft, her expression warm. 'This year has been, well, challenging and marked with a valiant sacrifice.'
     'I still can't believe it. How is he?' DeeDee whispered to Evangeline.
     Evangeline rose her shoulder a little then rested her head against DeeDee's shoulder for a moment. Tien tugged on Evangeline's other hand and she brought her head back up, not letting the sadness dwell during their last moments together.
     'I am proud of the progress every single one of you has made. Both to those new to our part of the world, and those of you who have been witness to it all your lives. I want to say only this...'
As Marguerite paused, DeeDee took Evangeline's hand and gave a tight squeeze. Evangeline glanced down at it, looking at the cuff, never off her friend's wrist, and her heart contracted.
     'The past is certain, the future, obscure. Only the present is in motion, and it is with your own choices, you fix your fate.' their Head Tutor finished.
     Evangeline let the silence melt over her as the collection of students rose and the sound of shifting material of the hoods of each candidate came down, her heart began to pound faster. Each student had a single rune etched in white on the palm of their writing hand.
     Holding her left hand, palm up at her chest, Evangeline heard her own voice crack a little as she performed the last summons of the year. One to mask her Angelus gifts while she was away from the protective casts, newly added and old, of the Academy and separated from her allies.
     The rune on her hand grew warm, spreading outwards as the vibrating heat flowed out from the rune until it coiled her entire body, even streaming between each toe. The sensation filled her and then, as a droplet of water rolls off a leaf, the feeling trickled away, the rune no more than a doodle on her hand.
     Evangeline opened her eyes and the silence was so absurdly loud she could feel it pressing hard in her ears. She shifted her gaze to her dorm mates. Each wore similar look of thoughtfulness. Tomorrow, danger would still be waiting and all of them knew that. Bigger challenges were still to come. Yet, there was something else, a core deep idea that Evangeline only now realised and held tight to.

The bravest person sees with perfect clarity the task before them. And yet, despite this, they look past their fears and still march out, to meet it.

~