Chapter Fourteen: Evangeline

The morning passed quickly. Before Evangeline even had time to catch her breath, she was walking down to Hallow Clearing dressed in her official Angelus robes. The white material cloaked her and hooded around her hair, a few tendrils blowing from underneath.
     The musical interlude of the wind through the trees and the soft choir of birds made Evangeline overtly aware of herself. She ensured each movement was graceful, elegant. As she glanced at DeeDee, she saw the same consumed look in her friends' eyes.
     The Celestial had similarly been a whirlwind. She'd danced and talked with many and their faces and conversations blurred into one of those wonderful memories where the specifics didn't matter; all that did was the fact Evangeline had felt whole, like she had found her place, at least for that evening. She had laughed and smiled with her friends and begun to see the world the Warriod students were travelling. It had helped her be excited for this day, not so anxious about its importance.
     As they entered the clearing and took their positions behind the carved oak podium; with the inscriptions dating back to the first Angyali class over 1,500 years before them, Evangeline felt a purpose fill her body. The warmth spread through her and took root deep in the centre of her chest. She watched the Warriod students file in and create rows in front of the podium.
     The Warrior candidates entered last, striding past the other students and creating three rows. Each face was alight with passion and controlled nerves. The soundtrack of nature continued and an otherworldly calm fell in Hallow. As the afternoon sun filtered through the canopy of trees, the light splintered and caught in the last of the autumn flowers.
     Evangeline felt her breath catch. For the first time, she felt somehow complete. Utter certainty in where she was and what she was about to do came over her, it had been beginning to grow since the Celestial but now felt complete, whole and she understood why a Celestial often preceded something like this. Evangeline felt a link and closeness to all in the clearing, which would not have been if she had not spent last night meeting a good portion of the class before her. Angelus Marguerite stood in front of the raised podium as Walker and her uncle placed a mahogany chest upon it. They opened it, revealing the Warrior Primus Votum daggers.
     'Welcome Warriod students, to this Primus Votum Oath about to be taken. It is the first true test for both our Angyali Newlings and the training Warriors before me.'
     The old woman paused and Evangeline knew she was allowing herself a moment to look fondly at the students before her. 'I have seen a lot of Warrior candidates emerge from Hallow Clearing, each bearing new markings on their flesh and new responsibilities to carry. Take in every moment upon this podium; for it is the start of your future as protectors, it is the start of something greater.'
     Angelus Marguerite bowed her head at the young men and women before her; turning to her own students, she nodded to Evangeline.
     Everything begins now. The first test.
Evangeline exhaled, centring herself. She sensed DeeDee and the others do the same, as a unit the candidates rose to their most prideful full height, before she moved towards the podium. As she stood before the collection of warriors, with her hood throwing a shadow over her face, she could see each candidate before her, their expressions, all mirroring strength, resolve.
     Evangeline took a calming breath. Her fingers closed around a dagger. There was a small blade for each warrior in the chest; a name etched into the hilt. The weapon was a symbol of their acceptance into the Warrior Alliance, a promise to their ancestors, and the famous Warrior their bloodline came from. She turned the wide blade in her hand, swallowed her nerves and in the most elegant voice she could manage, she read out the name.
     'I call forth the Warrior, Hector Alverez.'
Evangeline resisted rolling her eyes. She and Heca were bound together again. Her cheeks flushed a little as he broke out of his neat row of Warrior candidates and joined her on the oak podium. As he reached her, the bugger winked. Evangeline felt her back ping a little straighter as he nodded and mouthed at her to "not screw up".
     She was tempted to stick her tongue out, but as an excited hush fell over the clearing and Heca himself rose tall and took a deep breath, Evangeline realised that her role in the ritual was pivotal in Heca's journey. A kind smile lifted her lips as she held out the dagger, the tip balanced on her left palm and her right hand curled around the hilt, a sash of ribbon tied upon it.
     She presented him with his blade. This, the Warrior's version of a binding contract began and Heca didn't even hesitate. He brought his fist to his chest, then dropped to one knee and held up his palms. Now came Evangeline's least favourite bit. Using the tip of the blade, she nicked his skin in the centre of each hand. Then, placing the dagger into the oak by his feet she pressed his hands together, hooped the white sash from the hilt of his blade around his wrists. Once knotted in place; where the base of his palms met, she noticed the slight trickle of blood slithering down his wrists.
     On impulse, she cupped his cheek for a second; sad she was causing him to bleed. His eyes snapped up and she realised she had been disrespectful. Warrior Alliance members were strength and courage. They did not need a delicate caress at such a moment. Evangeline withdrew her hand, and did not notice the momentary flicker of warmth in Heca's gaze.
     Evangeline took another calming breath; she stepped back a little and prayed she got the next words correct.
     'Hector Alverez. A true Warrior is fierce, honourable and strives for resolution without having to raise his weapon. A loyal Warrior knows he is the blade for his Angelus, the voice of reason and truth to his Demi God. Within himself, he must find and harness true inner strength; in his convictions, in his choices and in the weapons he wields. Do you swear so to do?'
     'I so swear.'
Evangeline felt a deep pride swell in her chest. Of course he does, was there any doubt?
     She hadn't expected the ritual to move her so. She dipped down and gripping the blade as taught, she slashed the sash around Heca's wrists. As the silk material fluttered down onto the dark wood, Heca captured her gaze.His eyes were ablaze. On fire with a purpose and pride, he rose and she clasped his right forearm in the greeting of Intra Terci and spoke in Latin.
     'Threicae venerit tuum bellante oritur.' Evangeline summoned. As the words rang out in the clearing, she heard Heca suck in a harsh breath. She locked eyes with him and smiled, he winced and his arm tensed in hers. She whispered her previous words softly to him, 'Tattoo come, your warrior arises.'
     He gave her a tight grin in response, his face determined, strong. 'The pain will pass.' she offered after a moment more of silence.
He met her gaze and through gritted teeth he joked,
     'What pain?'
Evangeline laughed softly, allowing her fingertips to brush over his skin in a soothing motion. His eyes burned into hers again and she blushed. After a long minute, the heat against Evangeline's skin ebbed and Heca's face relaxed. She let him go and resisted grabbing his arm to see her handiwork. Heca was looking at his arm with a pleased smirk on his face. Before he turned to the congregation to announce his ritual symbols, he smiled widely at her.
     'Fantastic job, Angel Face.' Evangeline scoffed softly at his words but gave him a warm smile. He turned, and to complete the ceremony he held his arm up, forearm facing the rows of students, his hand a fist and in a strong tone worthy of the Warrior blood within, he announced,
     'Matau, sign of power and courage,' he indicated the top tattoo Evangeline had summoned, 'and Gyawu, the valour, respect and leadership sign.'
     The other warriors-to-be cheered. Evangeline breathed a sigh of relief, she'd done it. Suddenly the fact she had successfully summoned and completed her first test of Angelus power hit her hard. Now officially a candidate, no more newling talk! She wanted to whoop and cheer but dutifully she just bobbed her head at the Masters and Angelus tutors behind the podium.
     Her gaze met the Warriod Headmasters' for a moment, who allowed a small smile to break over his face before the stern watchful look returned. When his gaze left hers, she moved off the historic location and took her place next to the podium. Her role over.
     Tien was up next and the process began again, she unsheathed the blade for Proteus Tate. Following Proteus and his Arwen and Triskelion symbols was DeeDee, who bestowed Gabe Larson with Vishuddha, the sign of purification and vocalising truth, and the Akoben symbol.
     'Of course Gabe would get the 'willingness to lead' symbol.' she muttered to Evangeline when she stepped off the podium.
Both girls stifled a laugh; their weapons teacher definitely didn't need a symbol on his forearm to let people know that.
     Brianna came on next and the girls were impressed with her graceful, much more carrying voice than normal as she performed the ritual; gifting Cay Santiago with Valknut, rebirth and fate symbol, and Nkyinkyim, the sign for endurance and grace in hardship. As Brianna left the podium, Evangeline squeezed her hand, noticing her face flushed from cheekbones to jaw line. She gave Evangeline a small smile, a flicker of proud disbelief that she completed their first test as Angyali candidates too.
     Finally, for their dorm, Zeru stood ready upon the oak. As Orion had been in charge of the welcoming ceremony and the summons it required, so he had been given a free pass on this ritual. Orion swapped a quick look with Evangeline from the other side of the podium, Zeru centred himself and turned to face the warriors before him.
     Zeru looked so nervous Evangeline wanted to stand up there beside him. The clearing fell into utter silence as Zeru reached out for the daggers. This would be the first time a male completed the ritual for a warrior. After a wavering pause, Zeru gripped a hilt. He pulled it free and Evangeline saw his face relax and she knew whose name was on the blade.
     'I call forth the Warrior, Blair Anderson.' he said clearly.
As Blair went to join Zeru, Evangeline saw a caring look shoot between the pair and Tien squeezed her fingers. A knowing grin on her face. Evangeline watched as their friend expertly knotted the silk and spoke the words, his face focused and in the silence around the moment, Evangeline felt pure magic fill the clearing as history changed forever. Everyone was captivated, awaiting the moment the male candidate would evoke the summons.
     'Threicae venerit tuum bellante oritur.' Zeru commanded.
Evangeline's breath caught and she caught Heca's eye. He shot her a can-you-believe-what's-happening look and she shook her head a fraction. Moments later, Blair turned, his brief smile for Zeru alone who beamed back at him.
     'Koru, a sign of new life and beginning and Zia, healing energy sign.' Blair announced happily.
He marched off the podium to stand beside Heca and Cay. History now forever altered.
     As the next two dozen candidates came and earned their tattoos, Evangeline watched as the sun set behind the trees. The lanterns, which had been set up, were sparking to life one by one in the gathering darkness.
     As the final Newling and Warrior completed the ritual, a conflicting sense of ending and beginning fell over everyone. Evangeline grinned at her dorm mates, the ritual had been a success and she was one step closer to being an Angelus with it completed.
     She began to understand the depth of the world she had entered, and the possibilities she was capable of achieving. Evangeline smiled as Orion returned to the podium and closed the ceremony.
     'A memorable moment in all our lives now must end, with the new weight upon each forearm we must remember that all we do is to prepare for a destiny we still have a long road to travel towards. Congratulations Warriors, we entrust these symbols to you--' Orion glanced at the other Angyali candidates and together the group of Angyali to be, concluded the ritual. 'May the light of the Angyali help you discover their true meaning.' the group said in harmony.
     Orion repeated the words a final time as the last rays of sunlight vanished from the sky. The day, and moment immortalised now in each student's memory.
     Applause rang through the trees and the glitter of twilight approved the moment. It was glorious and Evangeline had never felt so spiritually connected to a group of people in her life. The Warriod students began to drift back to their school, most of them chatting animatedly between themselves, comparing tattoos up close. Blair, Morgana and Gabe hurried over to DeeDee and Evangeline, who waved Tien off as Eros made a beeline for her.
     DeeDee gave Evangeline a look as he and Tien hugged in greeting; Evangeline lifted her shoulders in a, we'll-bug-her-about-it-later way as their other friends reached them.
     'Well that whole thing has made me an emotional wreck.' Gabe laughed.
He patted DeeDee on the shoulder and made a swooning action.
     'Imagine if you were the one summoning the tattoos, you'd be more than an emotional wreck.' Evangeline told him, as he over dramatized the shock he felt. Such a guy, occasionally too laid back to function, she mused on this while swapping a look of exasperation with the two girls.
     'You did good.' he grinned after he stood tall from his fake swoon, and both girls beamed.
     'You really did, I can't believe you had to go first Evangeline. Pool, deep end, thrown. Don't you agree?' Morgana added as Blair nodded sympathetically at her words.
     'It wasn't so bad. Once I started, I knew I had to go on--'
     'Luckily she had the best Warrior to share the moment with.' Heca interrupted.
     He slung his own arm around her shoulders, and gave her a dramatized wink. The girls laughed but Blair and Gabe glanced at each other before jumping at Heca and engaging him in a spar.
     'You are so full of it!' Gabe shouted good-humouredly as the three of them scuffled.
Morgana rolled her eyes at DeeDee and Evangeline. Orion came over then and Evangeline jumped at him, hugging him tight.
     'You were fantastic!!! Perfect job done I'd say!' she grinned, tugging his braid. Orion flushed and Evangeline added, 'You worried for nothing.'
     'Thanks Evangeline. You girls were brilliant too, angelic to a T.' he smiled as DeeDee and Morgana hugged him too. 'You know, it's Saturday tomorrow....' Morgana reminded softly as a Master began to come their way, the rowdy males with them having drawn his attention. 'Same time as last?' she asked quickly.
     'You're on.' Evangeline promised.
She was buzzing to get back into training. After such an adrenaline fuelled two days, she needed to expel it somehow. And a fighting class seemed a good way to go.
     'See you then.' Morgana smiled.
With elfin grace she skipped over to the fighting boys, and with smooth ease, she laid out a surprised Heca and Gabe, linked arms with Blair and sashayed away.
     'Come on girls, the first Indiana Jones is on in like fifteen mins, I say it's time for a dorm movie night.' Orion was suggesting when Evangeline looked back at the group. She waved Zeru and Brianna over as DeeDee groaned.
     'The only good thing about that movie is young Harrison Ford.'
     'You're kidding right? It's a classic! A box melting bad Italians, the fight around a plane? Indiana Jones shooting a sword wielding show off. What's not to love?!' Orion argued, the pair of them falling into their usual stand off when it came to movies.
     'It was Germans you numb nut.' Tien berated.
She appeared beside them and jumped straight into the friendly bickering as they headed for the Academy.
     Evangeline laughed, pulling down her robe hood, she took a moment to look at the sky deepening to a cool navy. She let out a content sigh, feeling the peace and splendour from the afternoon still seeping through the forest. She made to follow her dorm mates down the path out of the clearing, when an arm with a Gyawu symbol on it gripped her wrist.
     'Yes, tattoo boy?' she smiled, turning to look at Heca.
     'I wanted to say something to you.' he replied, a small smile playing around his lips.
     'Okay.' Evangeline said.
Her tummy fluttered a little and she had a sudden urge to fiddle with her hair. She took a quick look about the clearing, realising they were almost the only ones left. Master Elroy and another Master were talking with Angelus Marie while a few Warriod students collected lanterns for the Angelus tutor. She met Heca's gaze,
     'What's up?'
     'Thank you, Angelus, for gifting me with Gyawu and Matau. I swear upon my honour I will live up to their meaning.' he informed her; his voice formal.
     His fist came over his heart and he bent, bowing to a 45-degree angle in the ceremonial action of a Warrior swearing an oath to someone of greater importance than themselves. Evangeline flushed, she discovered in that instant that Heca was going to be the greatest Warrior from the current class at Warriod. The respect and sincerity in his voice told her so.
     His role as a Warrior clearly his driving force. Embarrassed by his sudden moment of profound maturity and honour she clasped his shoulders and tried to get him to stand straight.
     'It's really fine, I'm glad I did my job well, you don't need to bow to me. I am not an Angelus yet.'
     'You will be soon enough.' he stated.
Evangeline blinked, her cheeks hot, the surety in his voice surprising. She was still somewhat uncertain on her future, where it was headed, what she truly wanted from this new life she'd discovered. But here Heca was, almost a stranger, yet they seemed now to be so linked by the ritual just performed, and he was showing complete and utter faith in her ability to gain her wings.
     Her heart pounded as he took her hand and dipping his head pressed a kiss against her skin.
     'Congratulations on completing your first test.' he smiled.
He fisted his chest again before his Masters called him to join them and he strode away. Evangeline blushed, watching him for a moment.

She did not realise it then, but fate had just bound Angelus and Warrior together.

                                                         ~