Chapter Nine: Orion

Master Rivas was waiting when Orion and Zeru exited First Hall after finishing lunch. It had been a long morning, with their trip to Divinus Falls, and more importantly DeeDee's revelation during their first class. The group had tried to put the incident from their minds, but as Evangeline had whispered to him and Zeru during lunch, this was not something that DeeDee would let go.
     It was a true enough remark as DeeDee had spent all of lunch distracted and internalising. Very unlike her. So much so that Orion had almost forgotten what his afternoon was going to entail.
     Now dressed in tracksuit bottoms and a muscle t-shirt, Orion was a mass of nervous energy. He tried not feeling intimidated as they walked towards the impressive man waiting for them by the doors; who looked the two of them over for a moment, then, held out his hand.
     'So, you're the pair making Angelus history.' he said as a greeting.
Orion shook his hand dipping his head in respect.
     'That's us, sir. I'm Orion.'
Master Rivas nodded, turning to Zeru.
     'Zeru, nice to meet you Master Rivas.' Zeru stated.
With a nervous twitch, he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. Master Rivas noticed this and clapped Zeru on the shoulder,
     'Don't you worry lad; we'll catch you up with basic skills in no time.'
     Orion grinned at Zeru who seemed less scared with this comment, and returned Orion's gesture. Behind them, Orion turned to wave at the girls as they exited First Hall too, heading to the staircase for an independent study class. Evangeline waved but her hand froze in the motion and all her books fell from her arms as she registered the Master stood beside Orion.
     She ran towards them, passing Orion to stand directly in front of the Warriod Master. Orion was shocked; he hadn't thought Evangeline would be someone who'd be an awed fan girl so easily.
     'Uncle Luther...' she stammered frozen a foot or so from the man.
Orion glanced up at the Master and felt his eyebrows shoot up. Master Rivas had tears in his eyes, and right before the group of them, he wrapped Evangeline in a touch awkward, bear hug.
     'Evangeline. My girl, you look wonderful in the angelus robes.' he choked, releasing Evangeline to look her over.
     'I thought you'd come by weeks ago.' Evangeline replied, beaming at Master Rivas.
     'Evangeline? You know this Master?'
DeeDee voiced the collective question as she, Tien and Brianna reached the doorway. All the girls more than impressed by the size and strength clear in every muscle and limb of Master Rivas.
     'He's my uncle. When my parents died, he took me in.' Evangeline answered. She hugged him again, adding, 'He's kind of the father figure in my life. Despite never being around.' she joked darkly, poking her uncle.
     Tien shook her head and muttered to Orion,
     'This one has more drama in her life than American T.V. shows.'
Orion wasn't sure if to stifle a laugh, or fill with concern. He shrugged off the conflicting choices and followed Master Rivas out the door.
     'I intend to be around more often Evangeline. How about we meet for dinner at the weekend, catch up on everything?' Rivas suggested as the girls followed them out into a courtyard.
     Orion glimpsed Evangeline's look of disbelief until she quickly covered it. Even so, Orion had seen it; it was strange to see a moment of vulnerability on her face. She had been the strong, confidant girl from the moment he'd met her. Part of him had foolishly believed nothing could upset her. Clearly, she'd just never learnt to depend on anyone. Or she'd stopped trying to, after too much disappointment.
     'Sounds good, I still have my phone... call me about it Uncle Luther.' she smiled.
     As she hurried back into the keep, she shot Orion a look. He rolled his shoulders, she and DeeDee hadn't forgotten the request they'd made Orion.
     Orion and Zeru marched along the track, following Master Rivas, leading them to Warriod Academy. With each step, Orion got more excited and evidently, Zeru got more nervous. As they entered the Warriod courtyard, students were already scattered across the area. All working with various weapons and practising technique. Orion drank it all in until Master Rivas stopped and waved a hand at another Master.
     'This is Master Delacruz. He has agreed to take you into his class for today, so he can judge your skills. See you boys at four.'
The Master nodded at Master Delacruz, then strode over to a group of students watching the scene. Orion rolled his shoulders again, clapping his friend on the back.
     'Let's do this Zeru, my man!'
After a moment Zeru shot Orion a thumbs up and a touch more determination filled his gaze.
     'Okay, full focus.'
With a cheerful smile, Orion joined the others and listened as Master Delacruz explained the proper handling of a Katar.