Chapter Thirteen: Evangeline

Evangeline blushed; she had not thought she could look like this. She twirled, admiring her long cream dress with low-dipped back and silk flowing sleeves. Akin to a medieval princess, Evangeline grinned at herself and glided back to her room. DeeDee, who was putting the final touches to her celestial markings, the ones that now framed all their eyes, spluttered as Evangeline hugged her roommate tightly.
     'Thank you.'
     'It's what I do.' DeeDee grinned, as the pair of them glanced at themselves in the mirror. 'We look pretty angelic wouldn't you say.' she finished.
     'That we do.'
     'You girls finally ready?' Orion asked, sticking his head into their room.
Evangeline grinned as he double blinked and then opened and closed his mouth before blinking again.
     'Well if we knock all the Warriod boys into such speechlessness, I say a job well done.' DeeDee commented.
Laughing, the two girls pushed him back into the main living area as Zeru chivvied the other girls into the room. As they all took a moment to admire each other, Evangeline felt her throat become a little constricted.
     Brianna looked great, the soft green of her dress contrasting just right with her fiery hair. Tien looked elegant in the pastel lavender, all of them having some form of lotus flower in their hair and the customary ivory ribbon lacing up the back of their dresses.
     'Don't you girls look wonderful.' Zeru smiled.
He found their appearance less voice halting that Orion. But he nodded his approval, getting each of them to twirl for him.
     'As do you, for the first male Angyali candidates, you do scrub up very nicely.' Evangeline said after her spin.
     DeeDee held out a lotus flower, and gently Evangeline secured it to Orion's chest. Zeru receiving the same treatment from DeeDee. Traditionally the Angyali all wore the same style dress of varying colours to events such as this; the boys had thrown that tradition into the wind, but finally Angelus Marguerite had found a resolution. Instead of an ivory ribbon, the boys wore an eggshell white shirt with an ivory cummerbund over charcoal trousers.
     'Now are we sure on the white dress?' Evangeline blurted as the group made to leave, 'I mean it's not too late to--'
     'No! The cream white one is the best!' Tien and DeeDee shouted in unison.
Evangeline blushed. Originally, she had gone for a light rose coloured dress but the girls had forced her to try on a cream gown and the instant she had slipped it on they refused to let her have her first choice. They claimed that it looked flawless; with her raven hair and ever so lightly tanned skin, which glowed against the white.
     'Okay okay...' she gave in.
From Orion's reaction, maybe it wasn't akin to wannabe bride. She drew on the confidence she had never truly needed before and linked arms with DeeDee.
     Evangeline found her excitement rising as the group headed to the keep's courtyard. The twilight around them was warm enough despite it being the cusp of November. When the last of the newlings arrived, Angelus Marguerite stepped forward and, raising her arms, her authority called a hush over the students.
     'Tonight, is a celebration and I want you to enjoy this night of frivolity. However, this is also the first... official,' Marguerite paused, as a smattering of laughter broke out, Evangeline glanced at DeeDee who shrugged a what-can-you-do motion her way, 'introduction to the Warriod students. I expect my Angyali newlings to conduct themselves in a way befitting that title.' Her gaze softened and summoning a portal vheil she concluded, 'Have a fantastic night.'
     The vheil expanded until it had stretched out over the entire group. Evangeline gripped Zeru's hand next to her and he wound an arm around her shoulder.
     'Don't worry it doesn't hurt, it's just this slightly weird spinning sensation and a quick hooking motion under your arms. Like someone plucks you up and sets you down somewhere else.' he whispered as the vheil floated down and melted over all their heads.
     'Oh joy.'
Evangeline managed the brief sarcastic comment before she felt a strange lifting in her chest. It almost felt like the moment a rollercoaster drops, leaving your insides behind as your body moves.
     She wanted to yelp, but the movement was sudden and seconds after she registered it, a strange swirling filled her body, as if she was caught in a rapid pool. She held hard onto Zeru and in an instant the feeling subsided as she realised where she stood. In the vast hallway entrance to Warriod. Evangeline gulped. Note to stomach; stop churning.

She glanced at the others who all seemed fine - except for Brianna - and the two girls swapped sympathetic glances.
     Orion broke away from them, heading towards the side hall that he had to report to before he gave his speech. Evangeline hurried after him, followed by the rest of their dorm.
     'Well good luck.' she smiled, hugging him.
Orion grinned, tapping his breast pocket. The others bundled in for a group hug, before a Master led Orion away.
     'Party time!' DeeDee muttered.
Evangeline wholeheartedly agreed but as the group turned, they realised with a united groan, they had missed the entrance of their class of Angyali.
     'Awh crap.' Tien groaned.
     'Let's go for a subtle entrance?' Zeru suggested.
After his words, he shot DeeDee and Evangeline a pointed look. They swapped a grin that screamed hell no and laughed.
     'Subtle is so our forte.' Evangeline smiled, straightening her spine and pulling her shoulders back, 'let's go have a great Celestial.'
     As they entered the hall, everyone but Evangeline paused, to take in the splendour. The inviting warmth of the candles, and the shimmer and sparkle of the interlaced fabric canopy above their heads, drawing everyone's gaze.
     Evangeline walked past most of her classmates towards the collection of Warriod students that had all stood up from their various places around the room and watched as the ethereally dressed students entered the hall. Evangeline paused and glanced around, trying to spot Morgana, Blair and Gabe; instead she immediately locked eyes with the warrior she had met earlier that week.
     His gaze hardly faltered as he took her in, only a small lift of his eyebrows told Evangeline that he was impressed with what he was seeing. He grinned and signalled to the blonde haired male beside him. Then he strode away from the cluster of people he was with and came straight over to her as DeeDee appeared at her side.
     'We meet again Evangeline. Hi. Name's Heca.'
     'Evangeline, but you knew that.' Evangeline replied.
She tried to control the blush rising in her cheeks but as she watched Heca give her a smile, equal parts cheeky and genuine, her cheeks rouged.
     DeeDee smiled at the boy beside Heca. Evangeline glanced at him too, and as he returned DeeDee's grin Evangeline had to admit, it made his already painfully handsome face almost impossible not to swoon over.
     'I'm Adonis.' said the masterpiece.Evangeline had to hand it to DeeDee, who remained calm under his gaze and merely nodded.'Yes, I've heard of you.' DeeDee informed the male, before returning her gaze to Heca, essentially shutting Adonis down completely.
     Evangeline could tell her blatant brush off had just sparked the notion of a challenge into Adonis' gaze. She nudged her roommate subtly. DeeDee's smiling lips tightened a fraction and Evangeline held in a chuckle.
     'So Heca, am I to assume you were the one that caught our Evangeline semi clad first week of term? Or are you the cheeky warrior who called us princesses?' DeeDee asked. Heca shot Evangeline a curious quirk of his eyebrows.
     'Lucky for me, I'm both,' he replied. His gaze never left Evangeline's face, 'you called me cheeky?'
His confidant grin had Evangeline rolling her eyes good-humouredly.
     'You may have come up...' she admitted, 'but cheeky is a very diplomatic term.' Evangeline clarified.
     'Diplomatic term for?' Adonis cut in, shouldering Heca in the way guys do. Evangeline swapped a look with DeeDee.
She was about to answer when Orion appeared on the podium.
     'Let's just say it was a tad more colourful than cheeky.' Evangeline smiled sweetly.
     She turned from the two charmers as quiet fell in the hall and all eyes turned to Orion. Evangeline clasped DeeDee's hand, and the two girls swapped a look. Their heart's hammered as their friend took to the podium nodding to Headmaster Thantos who introduced him. Evangeline smiled at him, subtly motioning him to; take a deep breath.
     He followed her action and gave her a small smile before raising his chin to take in the congregation of Warrior, Angyali and Demi God candidates before him.
     'On behalf of the student body of Angelus Academy, I wish to welcome you all to this year's Celestial celebration. A Celestial; we know it to mean the coming together of candidates and members of our ethereal race, our hidden social order of protective defenders against the Horde.' Orion paused, 'tonight however is somewhat different, as it marks the first of many Celestials between this class of Newlings. We, bound together as the next assembly of candidates, are destined to climb to heights of greater responsibility and understanding of our forbearers.'
     A moment of silence filled the room, Evangeline's hand tightened on DeeDee's, although she was still none the wiser over her ancestry even Evangeline knew that the classes before them had done great things.
     'Each new class within these two Academies are driven to improve on the successes of the class before. I believe we are ready to take on this challenge. Over the coming years, we must strive together, to prepare, to form Intra Terci and continue the fight against He who undermines peace, challenges safety, destroys life and, creator of Horde. Now is the beginning of our chapter in this war, to deny this evil the chance to fulfil the desire he has for apocalypse and Heh-el on earth.' Orion paused one last time and Tien, who had sidled next to Evangeline and DeeDee, gripped Evangeline's hands tight as if with the squeeze she was saying,
     'here it comes.'
     'Accendat Scintillam Amplecti Lumen!'
His voice was strong and the incantation caught in the air, igniting all the candles, and filled the draping canopy with celestial light, straight from Elysium itself. It allowed the fabric to glisten and twinkle against the flames.
     The Warriod students clapped, and Evangeline glanced at Heca who stood beside her, he was looking at the ceiling before letting out an awed breath.
     'Impressive, did he just summon the ligh--'
His question petered out as he looked back at Evangeline. She grinned, knowing her celestial markings were glowing, a soft silvery shade against her skin. Tien had explained that the markings were a connection to the Seraphim High Council and the light of Elysium now caught within the pattern.
     'Ignite the spark, embrace the light.' she murmured, repeating Orion's words in English for Heca.
Beside her DeeDee was saying the same to Adonis. Evangeline smiled at Heca again before turning and rushing up to Orion and Brianna.
     'So how do you feel?' she asked him.
     'My first day of training here and my hand didn't even shake a smidge, one little summons and now look.'
Orion grinned and extended his hand to her; it shook as he held it out and Evangeline gripped it in both of hers.
     'But you did fantastic!' she grinned.
He smiled back at her, and glanced up at the now iridescent ceiling. As Evangeline swept her gaze over the merry flicker of all the candles, Tien began waving at her, so squeezing Orion's hand one more time she let him go as Warriod students approached to congratulate him.
     As she weaved through the students and reached Tien, a smartly dressed male appeared beside Tien and wrapping his arms around her, lifted her off the ground hugging Tien tight.
     'You look stunning.' he smiled.
His hand lingered on Tien's face before he registered Evangeline stood in front of them. Tien was blushing from the male's attention and Evangeline dipped her chin and raised her eyebrows in question.
     'Evangeline, this is Eros, his family is Demi God origin. His father and mine have been friends since they were kids so we've grown up together.' she explained. Evangeline smiled held out her hand to shake his, 'Eros, this is the dorm mate I was telling you about... The dramatic one.' Tien continued, winking at Evangeline who spluttered in surprise and poked her in the ribs.
     'The drama wasn't exactly welcome.' she replied, grinning reproachfully at the Demi God candidate.
     'Tie-dye has told me a lot about you.' he smiled.
     'Tie-dye?' Evangeline repeated, watching Tien blush again. Eros flicked Tien's dark plum hair and continued, 'Yeah for her constant changing hair colour.' he laughed.
     Tien punched his arm in embarrassment. The pair of them fought playfully for a moment. there was some major flirtation in the actions thought Evangeline as she watched their lively exchange. Evangeline smiled at her friend, her gaze observing the two with interest until another candidate summoned Tien away towards the waiting piano.
     'Good luck with the set Tien.' Evangeline called after her.
     'Tien is the best pianist I know; she will be perfect.' Eros confided to Evangeline. She glanced up at him, his face was impassive but his gaze was on fire.
     'So how long have you two been dating?' Evangeline asked.She folded her arms and fixed him with a look when he tried denying it.
     'We're not a couple.'
     'Uhuh, no guy goes that goo-goo eyed over a piano, and Tien never blushes.' Evangeline stated. Eros laughed, then sighed at her.
     'Fine fine, but keep it to yourself she doesn't want to bring any attention to it. Not when we both have so much to do. Besides we're dating at the moment but every now and again she dumps me because the silly mare thinks I'll cheat.'
     'What?!' Evangeline spluttered at his casual attitude.
Eros shot her an incredulous look.
     'She's never serious, but the whole purity thing means our relationship is kinda stalled at the moment.'
     'Ahh I see. You boys can't handle no sex huh?' Evangeline teased.
     'Hey now, not all of us males are sex driven.' he retaliated.
     'Just ones like that.' said a male voice behind them.
His arm came up to point at Heca and Adonis who stood a little way over, talking with DeeDee, Orion and Morgana.Evangeline turned, and met Alecto's gaze. It unsettled her; the dark shadow in his eyes seemed to ripple. She shook herself, assuming it was the candle light making her see things. She smiled at him, as he looked her up and down.
     'You look beautiful Evangeline.'
     'Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself Alecto.'
     'Are you saying normally I look bad?' he snapped in a harsh tone.
His response shocked Evangeline.
     'No, I was teasing... you, you look great Alecto.' she stammered.
The angry look on his face concerned her; perhaps her teasing tone had come out wrong.
     'You didn't have to tease him Evangeline.' Eros retorted.
Evangeline shivered, the cheerful person she had been talking with had disappeared; Eros regarding her now with suspicious eyes.
     'I'm sorry, I, I didn't mean to upset either of you.' she stammered.
She felt suddenly nervous and threatened, the shadows from the candles seemed to swirl around them and a biting chill sparking up her neck made her fear crank up a notch.
     'Evangeline.'
Heca appeared beside her. The three of them jolted as his voice cut through the hostility encasing them. Evangeline turned; knowing her eyes screamed the sudden apprehension she felt.
     'Fancy a drink?' Heca asked pointedly.
He took hold of her arm and guided her away. She glanced back over her shoulder and saw Alecto give Heca's back a dark stare before moving off. Eros seemed to shake his head before glancing at her; his look showed confusion as if he wasn't fully aware about what had just happened.
     As the pair reached the refreshment table, she let Heca pour her a glass of wine from an ornate silver wine container. Evangeline took the chalice he offered, flashing a small smile, she sighed, rolling the stress out of her shoulders.
     'You okay?' he asked.
His eyes watched her like Gabe's did when they trained; assessing her. A warrior's gaze that analysed and saw past her words.
     'Yeah, just a misunderstanding I think.'
     'That Alecto kid is weird.' Heca offered.
Evangeline made a non-committal "mmm" noise. She took a deep sip from her cup and squealed.
     'Oh my god, this wine is fantastic, I haven't had a good glass in weeks!' she exclaimed.
Her mind jumped away from the confusing situation she had just been in and into the new topic. Heca laughed, unbeknownst to Evangeline he latched onto this personality trait instantly and knew he understood her better already.
     'I don't get why we can't have a drink with dinner on a Friday evening or something; the academies have a strange take on alcohol.' Evangeline continued, grinning at Heca before taking a rather large gulp of the wine in her hand.
     'For us it would just make training harder. But I do miss the odd beer, they say Warriod is a university of sorts, but I have yet to go to a wild party.'
     'I know what you mean. We've had all night classes but no all-night raves, not cool.' Evangeline smiled, and the pair laughed together.
     'Well let's make tonight as close to that as we can.' he suggested.
Evangeline nodded at his words and waved the others over as the elegant and pretty music began to fill the hall.
     'DeeDee, the wine is awesome!' Evangeline whispered and DeeDee's face lit up.
     As the first piece swirled into its climaxing crescendo, Evangeline, Zeru and DeeDee all enjoyed their second glasses of wine. Evangeline grinned at Morgana as she joined them, followed by Orion. As the second piece began, Evangeline was sure this, her first Celestial, would be long remembered.

~