Chapter Three: Evangeline

Evangeline stretched, enjoying that brief moment between sleeping and waking. Where the mind is blissfully blank and one can enjoy the calmness of a bright and sunny morning. Then sadly, the moment ended. Fiery images rushed her thoughts, mingled with two angelic and strong faces. Evangeline shot upright and her head throbbed in response. She cursed and looked around.

She was still in the old school Volvo from the night before. Rubbing her eyes, she focused her gaze on the two other people in the car. The man, Walker, glanced in the rear-view mirror and smiled.
     'Morning sunshine!' he said with mocking enthusiasm.
Evangeline stuck out her tongue, stretching again, her body aching in response. Her grazes were scabbing over and her head throbbed in time with her heartbeat. Aurelia twisted in the front seat and handed Evangeline a bottle of water and painkillers. The woman had undone her hair, auburn tresses now falling around her stunning face.
     'Where's your head newbie?' she asked.
Now that the two of them had achieved collecting Evangeline, clearly their business facade was needed no longer. Both had visibly relaxed.

Evangeline sighed realising she'd been willingly kidnapped. Somehow, the events from the day before seemed ridiculous but with another glance at her wounds, she resigned herself to the fact it must have happened.
     'Simply groovy,' was her sarcastic response, 'will we reach, uhh the Academy today? Can I see my uncle, please?' Evangeline questioned.
She slid forward to hover between their front seats. She heard her stomach rumble and the twins glanced at each other with matching grins of mirth. Walker pulled off the motorway and drove into the car park of a café on the outskirts of whichever town they were passing. Climbing out the vehicle, they indicated Evangeline to join them.
     'Let's talk over some breakfast.' Aurelia suggested, walking towards the door. Evangeline checked her jeans.
     'Our treat,' Walker muttered gently.

He nudged her with his shoulder and she followed Aurelia inside. As she slid into a corner booth, Evangeline felt many sets of eyes on her. She must look a complete state.
     '... I'm gonna go to the loo.' she mumbled.
In a resigned manner she got up again as Walker lounged out. His big body took up an entire side of the booth. Aurelia poised herself opposite him, her posture elegant. She nodded in understanding and produced a comb, holding it out to Evangeline. Evangeline rolled her eyes but whipped it out of her hands.

Walker opened his mouth to comment, but Evangeline cut him off, waving the item in his direction with a scowl.
    'Sod off, warrior face!' she retorted.
She made a face at him and his lips quirked up at her quick snub and her mouth answered his grin. 'I'll take a full English, and an Oreo milkshake.'
She stomped off to the toilets and shut the door with a louder slam than she intended. Walker's mouth twitched at the sound, and he glanced at his sister. She raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow and kicked him with her Prada boot.
      'Luther definitely misjudged his niece...' Walker mused.
As the waitress came over and he placed their orders, Walker picked up the knife on the table and spun it masterfully through his fingers.
     'She has a lot of hidden strength.' he added.
     'Mmm...Luther is a Demi God. You know out of the tertius, they are slowest when it comes to spotting the obvious. Do you reckon she could be one of the fated?' Aurelia murmured.

The pair swapped a look, thinking of their charge and the chaos around her. Walker blew out a deep breath before raising one shoulder at his sister. His glance cutting back to the bathrooms, the girl in there was coming into a very big revelation, he could tell she was tough; he'd give her that, but she was also someone who had never been exposed to the darker part of the world in which she had naively been living.
     'Perhaps. Angelus Marguerite was meeting ArcAngelus Uriel this morning, but Uriel comes most times a new class arrives. That doesn't mean these newlings will be special.' Walker offered eventually.