Reflections

Written by: bangtan_brat

Summary:

Namjoon, as flustered as he gets, is somehow the only person capable of reigning in Seokjin's impressive ego.

or, basically: Namjoon's patience vs. Seokjin's chaos. We already know who's the winner here.

________________________________

Namjoon is a patient man. He's not sure if it's a trait he's always had, or if it's been cultivated out of years of necessity, but the fact remains that he's as patient as they come, and lately, he's found that he needs to draw on that patience more and more frequently.

Tonight is such an occasion, riding in the van back to the hotel after an exhausting (but satisfying, always satisfying, of course) performance. Namjoon is seated in the very back corner, the youngest three members crammed together in the middle row in front of him, making a fuss and dicking around as usual. Hoseok is next to Namjoon, leaning forward and encouraging the rowdiness like he does, and Namjoon smiles fondly at their antics.

Namjoon is a patient man, but he is also a very tired man. He leans back against the headrest and glances over to his right, where Seokjin is lazing back too, eyes closed and arms crossed but clearly alert, as his distinctly windshield-wiper-like laugh indicates.

There's a grumble from the front seat, which Yoongi had claimed wordlessly and no one had dared challenge him for, and one of the youngest members quickly shushes the others through whispered laughs. The quiet lasts all of about four seconds before Taehyung mutters lowly something Namjoon can't make out and Jeongguk is straight up cackling, louder than the three of them combined had been the entire ride thus far.

Namjoon starts at the noise, sees Seokjin do the same to his right, and Jimin hurriedly smacks his hand over his dongsaeng's mouth to hush him up.

"Sh-shhhhh Yoongi-hyung's gonna rip you a new one!"

Taehyung mutters something else into Jeongguk's ear that has the maknae thrashing dramatically with laughter and Taehyung himself wiping tears from his eyes at the apparently hilarious secret.

They all settle instantly when Yoongi's face appears around the front seat to glare tiredly at them, dark circles already showing up through pale skin.

"I really will kill you," he says darkly, and slowly turns back to face the front, sinking slightly lower and reclining the seat slightly farther back.

Hoseok mumbles something about "really serious now," and "long night," before resting his chin on his folded arms to continue talking quietly with Jimin. It stays quiet for good this time.

It feels like they've been driving for a while when Namjoon checks the time on his phone, (it really has been a long night) and as he reaches down to put it back in his right pocket, he catches Seokjin's eye in his peripheral.

The oldest has shifted onto his side, leaning towards the center of the seat, mostly emptied since Hoseok is scooted forward. He has a sleepy half smile on his long face, and he jerks his head towards the others in front of them and lightly rolls his eyes in amusement. Namjoon follows his gaze to see Jeongguk's head tipped back and mouth hanging open as he dozes, Taehyung's shaggy head resting in the crook of the youngest's neck. He laughs a little and leans back in his seat to look back at Seokjin, mimics the soft eye-roll the other had done moments ago in understanding.

Those two thought they were so sneaky.

Namjoon and Seokjin giggle quietly and the moment passes. It passes, but Seokjin doesn't turn upright again and doesn't stop smiling at him. Namjoon begins to feel a bit awkward, unsure if he should say something, just looks back vaguely. He wonders if Seokjin has something to talk about, but he isn't starting any conversation.