The New Head of Strategic Development Mr. Kim

Written by: Anna (pineconepickers)

Summary:

To make life simpler at work, Seokjin lets his co-workers think that he has an alpha at home – this way people will focus on game development and not whether he as a handsome omega is single or not. This works well until the new Head of Strategic Development is hired: an alpha who does not seem to believe the lie about Seokjin's relationship status – or, perhaps, Seokjin wishes Namjoon didn't.

____________________________

The new Head of Strategic Development Mr. Kim was not to Seokjin's liking. He was an outside hire, appointed for his experience in directing companies to new areas of growth. Seokjin, as the Head of Game Development, did not like all this talk of finding new audiences and diversifying their userbase. They were a medium-sized gaming company but had cult like status for their original gaming series: this, in Seokjin's estimation, was because they did their niche well, and not because they were trying to seduce new users with cheap tricks.

He told his team as much when murmurs about new directions for the company came up.

Jimin gave him an amused look from across the meeting room. "Cheap tricks? Is that what the new Head of Strategic Development's projects will be?"

"Well, I don't yet know what his projects will be," he said, but they would likely be stupid.

"Won't we have to take direction from him as the new manager?"

Jimin had mirth in his eyes. Judas.

"He is not your manager – I am. And so he oversees his team, I oversee mine, and don't you forget that," Seokjin said pointedly, gathering paperwork from the large oval table.

"Alphas rarely keep to the pecking order," Jimin muttered finally.

"Is he an alpha? I didn't notice," he lied.

Of course the newcomer, Kim Namjoon, was an alpha. The scent of him was warm and earthy, frustratingly commanding. Rooted, solid. Nice. Seokjin had picked up on it first thing that morning, senses on high alert as he'd looked up from the laptop screen in his office. Not many alphas had such a commanding presence from scent alone.

When they had been introduced, Seokjin's hands had gotten sweaty, and he'd become aware of how much space Namjoon took up – the room shrank somehow with the alpha in it. Seokjin did not like this at all.

And the staring! Namjoon had looked at him intently upon introductions, eyes unnaturally wide, then unnaturally focused, nostrils flaring. What, was Namjoon surprised to find that the Head of Game Development was an omega? Seokjin had been designing games since age eighteen, thank you very much, and had a pile of awards to show off too.

It was a shame that, in the fifteen-floor building of which their company occupied three, the Game Development team and the Strategic Development team were placed next to each other.

"Well, I liked the new department head," Jungkook said with a bright smile, and Seokjin glared at him. Judas the second.

"Of course you can like him, but really we only need to liaison with him," Seokjin said, leaving the room with their HR rep Yoongi, who had come along to give everyone a spiel on the new personal leave accruements – polite code for heat and rut leave. Yoongi had looked as bored detailing these updates as everyone else in the room had been. When Yoongi had asked if anyone had questions, no one had raised their hand.

Seokjin and Yoongi had known each other since their university days, although they never mentioned that to anyone at work. Surely Yoongi had not been as smitten by a polite, dimpled newcomer, who was an alpha just like Yoongi? Betas like Jimin and Jungkook might be more susceptible to that kind of authority, but Yoongi would see through the bullshit.