The Faydens

Nine months later.

An American flight landed in an airport terminal.

A family of three, a man, his wife and his daughter, came out of the airport.

"I mean, up until recently, Moldova wasn't even a real country, it was part of the Soviet Union." Andrew Fayden said to his daughter, and his wife.

"So, is there like a Moldovan language?" Becky, his daughter, asked.

"Officially, yes, but from what I read, it's a Romanian dialect. Apparently, a lot of people speak Russian too."

"Well, I just hope that they speak some English." Monica, his wife, said.

"Is that for us?" Becky asked as she saw the black convertible parked directly in front of them

"Only the best for my girls." Andrew replied.

"Nice. Now all we need are paparazzi."

"You want paparazzi? Hold on, princess, I'll give you paparazzi."

Andrew brought out his phone and started taking pictures of his daughter, while she did different poses.

"There. There, nice. There we go. Oh, yeah, I like that."

Andrew kept taking photos, unaware of another photographer in the background.

A black haired girl, wearing a purple blouse and a black jacket, was also taking photos of the young American girl.

"Yeah, you are a natural."

"Oh, no. No photos, no photos." Becky said dramatically, mimicking a French accent.

"The lady doth protest too much. Go. That's it, that's it, perfect. One more like that."

"Okay, come on, let's go." Monica said, fed up with the little photoshoot.

"Andrew, I've been awake for 20 hours."

"All right, princess, come on. Mommy's tired." Andrew said, pocketing his phone, and opening the car door for the ladies.

"And daddy's a Jackass." Monica added.

"But he's our Jackass." Becky said, making her parents smile at her.

The girl in the background took more photos of the family as they got inside the car and then took a picture of the car's plate number. Then she started walking away, pulling out her phone in the process.

The Faydens drove through the streets of Chisinau.

Becky sat in the car with her phone on, taking pictures of all the sights as they drove by.

"You know, you might actually experience the place a little better if you stopped a moment
to really look at the city......with your eyes." Monica said to her daughter.

"Last week, Laurie Perkins posted pictures from Paris. I figure I can outdo her in uniqueness, if not in grandeur." Becky replied.

Monica sighed and then rolled her eyes, sinking back into her seat.

"Admit it, old people suck at technology." Becky said.

"I land this fight, I promise you
Paris is not that far behind." Andrew said.

"Let's not worry about Paris. Let's just focus on getting and winning this one." Monica said.

"Yes, ma'am." Andrew said with a mock salute, making Becky laugh and his wife roll her eyes at him.

The Faydens drove past a sign that said: "Old City Bouchere, est 1959."

Inside the shop, a woman stood, as the butcher cut up some meat for her. He wrapped it in a sheet and handed it over the her. The woman handed him some money, and he thanked her for it.

Gaul picked up a rag, and started wiping the table. He had his signature glasses fitted perfectly on his face.

He looked up and behold, there they stood. Those two girls from nine months ago, staring at him with their lifeless eyes and burnt body.

Gaul closed his eyes tightly and when he opened them, the girls were gone.

They had disappeared, just as anonymously as they came.

Gaul shook his head, then reached into his cabinet and pulled out a bottle of whiskey.

He drank a little from it, and then capped it. He was about to put it back, but then he opened the bottle and drank some more.

"Fuck!" He exclaimed quietly, then placed the bottle back inside the cabinet.

In a small hospital, a group of doctors surrounded a patient, as they performed surgery on him.

The head doctor carefully sewed the patient's chest back together.

"What's the patient's status?"

"Stable ma'am."

"Good."

The doctor walked out of the ER, as nurses rolled the patient out to another room.

A round of applause immediately follow as the head doctor stepped out.

"Another operation brilliantly and successfully done by the one and only Doctor [Y/n] [L/n]." An elderly man said, walking towards the head doctor.

[Y/n] let out a small laugh at her superior's praise.

"Thank you sir."

"No dear, thank you. You saved lots of life ever since you set foot in this hospital. You've help given us a good name, and a good reputation among our people."

"I do my best Sir."

"Come. Why don't you have lunch with us, it'll be one of those rare times we get to bond."

"No problem, I'll be right there Sir." [Y/n] said amused.

"Hey [Y/n]." [Y/n] turned to see a handsome doctor about her age.

"Oh hey Juan Cho." She greeted.

"Congratulations, on another successful operation. You really are the best in your field."

"Oh stop flattering me Juan Cho. I just do my best. Thank you anyway." [Y/n] said smiling at the man.

"So......um......" Juan Cho nervously started, scratching the back of his neck.
"We're still on for Wednesday right?"

"Of course we are."

"Really?" [Y/n] nodded. "That's great then. So I'll see you around?"

[Y/n] laughed. "See you around Juan Cho."

Juan Cho nodded and then turned, going back to work.

[Y/n] shook her head at her colleague's behavior, and then turned around to go to the cafeteria.

She suddenly jumped at what she saw in front of her.

Those two little girls from nine months ago, staring at her with their hollow eyes.

They were there, as if to remind [Y/n] that no matter what she did, trying to save lives, it was never going to be enough to answer for what happened to them.

A tear rolled down [Y/n]'s eyes.

The doctor closed her eyes and when she opened them, the girls were gone.

She took a deep breath, and then walked away, going back to her business.