First day of school

It was 8.05 monday morning, I had gone for a run earlier before I showered and put my uniform on. I packed my school bag yesterday so I just picked it up with a slice of toast before heading out to school.

I put my earphones in and listened to music on my way there, as I passed by a few groups of kids, also going to school.

I reached the building and walked straight into the office, so they could tell me where I had to go and possibly give me a quick tour around the place.

"Hi, uhm I'm new this year, and I don't know where I've got to go." I explained to this older woman.

"Okay love, can you give me your name?" She asked me.

"Jamie Lynch." I told her, as she wrote it into the computer.

"Okay, you've got math first hour, I'm printing your timetable and where each class is from the entrance so you can find your way around." She told me before getting up and walking over to get some papers. "Here you go, if you need anything I'll be here, enjoy your day." She told me.

I thanked her before I looked at the map she gave me, I followed the directions, until I got to a room which had 'maths, Ms O'Neill' on it. I opened the door to find nobody was still there so I took a seat in the corner against the window.

I took my maths book, notebook and pencil case out as the teacher came in. "Oh hi! You must be Jamie." She told me, leaving her stuff on the table before coming over to me. "I'm Ms. O'Neill, I'll be your math teacher this year."

"Nice to meet you." I said shily.

Time ticked by, as people started sitting down in different seats around the class, then the bell rang meaning the class began.

My first two classes passed by fairly quickly, I had maths and spanish, which I was good at so I didn't pay much attention and instead just drew out some different plays I had seen lately in some matches.

Then came breaktime, none of the teachers really introduced me to the class, so nobody knew who I was, I took my apple out of my bag and sat down on a bench alone, while everybody else ran around and played with their friends.

"You must be the new girl." Somebody said snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeap, that's me." I said.

"I just wanted to let you know that we rule around here, so don't fuck with us. I don't care who you were back in your old school, you're nobody anymore." The girl said, as other girls stood around here.

"I didn't ask who you were." I said rudely.

"How dare you speak to me like that!" The girl whined.

"Leave me alone so I won't have to talk to you." I told her.

"You think you're so tough... Wait till I tell my boyfriend."

"The need of a male to protect yourself from me tells me a lot about who you actually are. Look, I'm not gonna waste my time on you, but I don't care who you are, if you're the shit or not. I'm just here because I have to be here." I told her.

"I'm gonna leave you go today, but this isn't the end of it." She said as she turned around and walked away.

"A fucking child..." I whispered under my breath.

The bell rang, making everybody rush into their classes, I had science and english the next two hours so I headed to the science class first.

I sat down once again near the window in a corner not wanting to give myself attention. As the teacher started talking about genes and stuff I totally disconnected from the class and got lost in my little world.

"Jamie!" The teacher called me, making me snap out of my world.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?"I asked him.

"Why if a pea is green and another one is yellow only yellow peas come out." He said.

"Because the yellow pea is the dominant one and the green one is the recessive one. The pea still has the yellow but you can't see it, not until you mix that pea again. Then one out of four peas will come out green." I said.

"Very good, we haven't gotten there yet." The teacher told me.

After lunch and two more classes the first day was finally over. I got up and headed out of the class door into the corridor, which was full of screaming teenagers. I left the building but as I opened the door the girls from breaktime were standing waiting.

"Hey you!" The girl shouted at me.

"What do you want now?" I asked her.

"Fight me!" She said.

"I'm not gonna fight you, you're not worth my time." I told her.

"You piece of shit, don't fucking tell me I'm not worth your time. You're literally a fucking neard." She told me.

"If you tryna hurt me try again, words don't fucking hurt me." I told her.

As she looked at me eraged, she ran towards me about to push me, her hands were outstretched, so when she put her head down, I moved away making her fall to the ground, before I walked away back home.

"I'm home!" I announced as I left my bag down.

"How was school?" My granny asked me as she gave me yogurt and oatmeal.

"It was fine, not my place, but it's okay." I said, as I took a big spoon of yogurt.

"I'm sure you'll make friends sooner or later." She told me before giving me a hug.

After I had a small snack I headed out to the back garden and did an upper body workout, before going upstairs and showering. I put on sweatpants and an oversized hoodie before I sat down on my bed to do my homework.

Suddenly I got a phone call from one of my friends from back in Spain. I picked up excitedly, but my expresion dropped as I saw her crying.

(In spanish)

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"He cheated." She said.

"Oh baby, I'm sorry. Let your feelings out, cry all you need, but you've got to see he ain't worth your time if he ain't gonna treat you right."

"But I fucking love him." She let out before crying more.

"And sadly in this world, some feelings aren't reciprocated. You've got to keep your head up, boss up and live life for yourself. Sooner or later he'll realize what he lost, but by then you'll have found yourself and won't take shit from him or anybody." I said.

"What if I can't get over him?" She asked me.

"You will, it could take a few weeks, a few months or years, but no feeling is permanent." I told her as she wiped her tears away. "I wish I was there to give you a hug." I said, which made her look down at the ground.

"I really miss you J."

We talked for another 20 minutes or so before we hung up, since we both had stuff to do. As I switched my phone off everything hit me. Nobody actually talked to me from back in Spain if it wasn't because they needed something.

They didn't actually care about me, but they still needed me. They needed my help, but not my company. I had always been the mum or therapist of the group back in Spain, so I was used to being the one everyone asked for advice, but this time it was different.

Before they would at least laugh with me and hang out with me in big groups. I was always the second option really but I was just glad I was an option to start with. Now I wasn't an option, I was just the person to call when you need something.

As I took my phone and looked at the last time my friends contacted me for something other than for help, I realized most of them last contacted me when I got to Ireland, to see how my flight had gone.

It pissed me off, but I wasn't gonna show that so instead I left my phone down and decided to use that anger for tomorrow's morning session and afternoon training.