Friend

*Fast forward a month*

I was sitting in my class waiting for the last hour to start. As the science teacher came in and the class settled down in their places he started talking.

"Okay, we're gonna do a project in pairs, I'm gonna make the pairs, so as I got saying the names move over to your partner." He told us all before listing the names. "...And last but not least Connor and Jamie. I want you all to use the first 15 minutes to get to know each other, their names, age, what do they do in their free time, whatever it is." He told us.

"Hey." I said sitting down beside me.

"Hey, you're the new kid right?" He asked me.

"Yep that's me."

"Well tell me a bit about yourself." He told me.

"Well I'm 14, 15 in a few weeks and I play football, or soccer like you call it here and uhm I'm Spanish, English and Irish. What about you."

"I'm 15 I also play soccer and yeah I'm just Irish really. Where do you play?" He asked me.

"Maree Oranmore, what about you?"

"I play for Galway united."

"That's dope, you play U 16?"

"Yep, I suppose you play U 15 right?" He asked me.

"Actually I play U 17."

"No way! You must be good then. We should have a kick about someday what you think."

"Sounds good." I told him, before the teacher told us to start the project.

"Why are you actually being nice to me? I mean "the popular girls" hate me." I told him.

"I myself I'm kind of quote on quote popular too. I'm just not a dickhead, I'm basically popular cause I'm good at soccer." He explained. "You see, I might look like most of the boys that are like dickheads around here, but I'm not like that. I'm not fucking homophobic or racist, I am religious, but I believe in science over religioun." He told me, which made me smile.

"You sound cool, wait for me after class and I'll give you my instagram, so we can meet up to play some "soccer" someday." I told him.

We ended up talking while working on the project for the rest of the hour, before the bell rang. As everyone ran out of the room, the two of us were left there alone with the teacher.

"You got any training this afternoon?" I asked him, as I wrote my instagram in his phone.

"No, not today, I'll probably go and train on my own though, what about you?"

"Neither do I! Wanna practice together?"

"Sure! I'll meet you in an hour's time at the pitch, bring a ball!" I said before I rushed out of the classroom.

I ran in the door and left my bag on the floor before changing into my football stuff and picking up the bag I had my balls and boots in. I passed by the kitchen and grabbed a few nuts before hopping on my bike and riding over to the pitch.

I got there before an hour actually, so I just sat down and waited for him to arrive. Shortly after he came around on his bike with his training kit and a rucksack.

"You ready to be humiliated Lynch!" He said, hopping off his bike before it stopped.

"You wish Baker!" I answered him before I ran onto the pitch.

We kicked around, dribbling passed each other and scoring goals, as our energy bar started getting lower and lower.

After a good 45 minutes of kicking around we sat down to catch our breaths. I had my legs spread out, while my hands were on the floor behind my back.

"I see why you're up with the U 17s." He said making me blush a bit.

"I mean you ain't that bad either." I teased him.

"It's nice to have somebody from around here that's down to earth."

"Yeah, I haven't actually made friends here. I just got my friends from back in Spain and the girls in my team." I told him.

"Now you're stuck with me because most of the people here are fake." He said, making me laugh. "Uhm, just so you know I'm bisexual. I hope that doesn't bother you." He said which made me laugh.

"I'm sorry, that doesn't bother me at all dude, I'm fucking gay I mean." I said which made him smile.

"Nobody in school knows, just a few of the boys in my team so please keep it on the low."

"Oh for sure, don't worry. I'm not about to out you to anybody because let's be real I ain't got no friends around here." I joked making him laugh.

"Okay so I made a friend that's good at soccer, not hot headed, down to earth, funny and part of the community! Best friend I've ever made in my life." He said which made me laugh.

I rolled over and put my head on his torso as we looked at the sky, which was this purple color. "Let's kick around a bit more before it's too dark." I told him as I helped him up to his feet.

I took the ball from his feet as I rushed over towards the goal and kicked the ball into the bottom corner. I ran around him celebrating the goal like I had just won a final or something while he laughed at me.

"You better be scoring goals in actual matches though, if not these celebrations are useless."

"I am scoring, don't worry. What about you, how many have you scored this season?" I asked him.

"3 goals and 4 assists in 4 matches. What about you?"

"Not too shabby bro. I've scored 5 goals and 5 assists in 4 matches, we're top of the table homie!"

"Fire! I'm gonna have to come and watch you score someday." He told me.

"If you want you can come over this weekend. My match is saturday morning." I told him.

"Oi that sounds good, I ain't got a match until Sunday so I'll for sure go."

"You're not gonna invite me to your match? Scared you're mum gonna think we're a thing?" I teased him.

"I'll check with my mum to see if it's fine for you to come. But right now we should head home, before it gets too dark." He said as he picked the ball up and put it in his rucksack.

We changed from our boots to our trainers and got on our bikes. We rode in the middle of the road, since no cars were passing by. "Look at me!" I screamed as I let go of my handle and cycled without any hands, which made him giggle.

As we came to my house, we both stopped and gave each other a hug to say goodbye, before he peddled up the street again to his house.

"I'm home!" I shouted as I came in the door.

"Well who's that young man?" My nan asked me.

"A friend from school, we got paired to work on a project together and ended up getting to know each other. He plays soccer over in Galway United so we met up and played soccer all afternoon." I told her as I sat down to my tea.

"That's great that you made a friend."

"Yeah, he's coming to watch me play this weekend, and I'm going to watch him the next day." I told my granny.

Forgot my computer at school yesterday so couldn't update, sorry about that. Hope you enjoy the chapter, and don't forget to vote!