Chapter 2: Plead not guilty

I SPIN OUT my pen around my middle finger

I SPIN OUT my pen around my middle finger. It has been hours since I kept thinking about our conversation. Sic words attacked my soul. My mind still can't absorb them. This case getting harder than I taught.

I have many clients to handle but here I am, thinking only about his case. I should only defend him but there's a part of me that I should help him to seek the truth. His preliminary trial will start five days from now.

A preliminary trial happens before the actual trial. This is wherein the accused will have the judge's verdict of either guilty or not guilty. If the accused is guilty, it means he admitted the crime, and no trials will happen. This is the moment where he will have a lighter verdict. Conversely, if pleading not guilty, the judge will have to continue the case. Then the trials will happen.

For Sic's case, I prefer for him to admit his crime. But I think he will not admit his crime and will plead not guilty. It will only bring trouble to me.

I stopped spinning my pen when someone knocked on my door. I clear my throat when I saw Lazarus, smiling like an idiot.

"Look at the best attorney in town, problematic in a murder case." He mocked me while entering my office and sit at the front chair.

"Attempted murder," I corrected.

"Mukhang nahihirapan ka. Hindi ka naman nahihirapan kapag ganiyan ang kaso." Lazarus is right. I've never been this problematic with this case. Ngayon lang. "Ipapatalo mo ba ngayon?"

I reached his face and slightly flip my fingers to his forehead making him growled. "Hindi pa ako natatalo at hindi ko alam ang salitang talo."

"Oo na," aniya. "Ano bang gagawin mo sa kaso ng lalaking iyon?"

"He must admit the crime. That's all. It's a win for me because I'm satisfied that he followed my order." Thinking that Sic will not admit his crime makes me annoyed. He's stubborn and he will make a way to prove his innocence.

"Sigurado ka?" He mimicked.

I slammed the table with my two palms, making Lazarus jumped in shock. "Of course, I will not lose because the court is my game."

"Why did you try to help the accused? Do it for the better." I shook my head. Even though I want to try, his case is hopeless. The judge and the prosecution team will only dig his case and it will result in lifetime imprisonment.

"It's possible for his case to become murder if I tried to help his innocence." In that state, he will only suffer. It will also affect his mental state.

"Guilty or not guilty?" Lazarus guessed.

I stand up and grab my leather briefcase. Before I come out of my office, I turn my back and looked at Lazarus. "Plead guilty," I answered.

I walk with my head held high. I looked at my watch. Last five minutes and the trial will start. I have to defend my other client in court. I'm sure that she's innocent. She only defends herself.